My worst case scenario

“the displaced traveler”

I live in the country, but in order to make a better living for myself I work in a major metropolitan area. I commute an hour or better in the morning and each afternoon.  Many people I know do the exact same thing. So here is my worst case scenario: I am at work and the SHTF! My family is all within a few miles of my house, but I am 50 miles from home!  What do you do then?  I WILL attempt to make it home under any circumstances; I MUST get to my family.  A couple thoughts: travel by car will most likely be out of the question (anyone seen downtown traffic with only rain? Yea it’s bad), cell phone reception may or may not be functioning, 50 miles by car does not equal 50 miles on foot (what was once a hour by car could equate to several days by foot especially if you are not walking the roads), and the sheer volume of people one will encounter is a nightmare!

I have a pretty well thought out plan in place. It’s actually more of an outline due to the massive numbers of unforeseen circumstances I would surely encounter.

1.      A get home bag: must have map and compass, food, shelter, and self defense weaponry.

2.      More than one pre-planned route

3.      My family also has to know this plan and adhere to it

4.      Day 1: stay put and button in somewhere for the night, be super observant to what is happening and where

5.      Day 2: Scouting and planning

6.      Day 3: begin travel

7.      Never give up!

This is the rough sketch of my plan. I would love to hear if anyone else is in a similar situation or has similar plans.  I am also always open to suggestions for improvement. 

• Admin Team

Speed is going to be of the absolute essence in a scenario like this.  By the time you get to day 2, it's going to be too late to start moving distance of any consequence.

Were it to head south, you need to go, and go fast.  I'd cover what ground I could in the car as fast as I possibly could and then look to moving to a bike or something similar - fold up bike or electric razor scooter in the trunk.  Were it me, I'd look to stay off the major arterials and cover what ground I could by car quickly, but when that's no longer feasible, move to an alternative.  My kids have a scooter that I've tried for endurance - 19 miles.  That should get you close enough that you can cover the rest on foot.  But, this gets your commute time to hours as opposed to days (never).

• Like 2
If the time comes you think its happening, then go. Like Macgyver said, speed is everything. By day two the roads, side streets, and every other passageway will be clogged to the point of insanity, and rioting may already be breaking out leading to looters and other nasties. Id say recognize the problem and as soon as you think its time, head to the car and get moving. Push as far in the direction of home as you can as fast as you can. When you cant drive any farther, grab your bag and start walking. Try hand railing the road, keeping it about 100-200 yds off one side or the other while your in the woods to minimize chances of ambush
Tapatalk ate my spelling.

My situation is similar to yours in that I live in a rural location but I work in a more metropolitan one - although I am closer to home than you as home is about 30 miles or so from work.  Luckily for me, my job is right at the edge of the city of Knoxville (definitely Knox County but I'm not entirely sure we are actually in Knoxville or if we are just barely outside of Knoxville) so I am not 'trapped' in the downtown area.  It is the western edge where there is often a lot of traffic, though.  Again, luckily, Knoxville hasn't entirely eaten up the 'outskirts', yet and coming out of the complex where the building I work in is located, I only have to travel about fifty feet on a busy road before I can turn off and take back roads/country roads pretty much all the way home.

Honestly, if I got enough of a 'jump' on the situation, I believe I could drive home.  The big 'choke point' for me is that getting home requires crossing the Tennessee River on one bridge or another no matter what route I take.  By the time I get that far, though, the traffic on the bridge along the non-Interstate route will hopefully be manageable - although it will still be a PITA.

My main concern is that, because I work on a satellite campus for a private college and because even having firearms in our vehicles is against the employee policies, I wouldn't be all that well equipped for a situation that required shooting my way out of trouble or where I ended up needing to take small game for food, etc.  Hopefully, though, I could just haul butt home in the vehicle or at least get close enough that the emergency food supplies I'd have with me would be enough to walk the rest of the way home.

Either way, I'd want to get home as quickly as possible so I could bug in and get ready to yell at all the folks who THINK they are just going to grab a bag and bug out to a rural area to get the hell out of my yard.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

Either way, I'd want to get home as quickly as possible so I could bug in and get ready to yell at all the folks who THINK they are just going to grab a bag and bug out to a rural area to get the hell out of my yard.

Those people amaze me. "If the shtf I'm bugging out to the mountains"... Oh yeah? Newsflash. There are already people living in those mountains. The family land I grew up on and that my parents and sisters still live on has been in the family since the civil war. And if they think those rough as a cob hillbillies like myself and others won't use force to keep you off our land and away from our resources, then they are sadly mistaken. This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but please, if you plan to bug out, make sure you have an exact location in mind, preferably that you own and mantain, but at least have the owners permission and visit it often, or you might be better of bugging in. I'm hunkering down on the land here, and hope to travel to my folks place from time to time after it calms down. But even if your in a suburb, hunkering down under a roof in a neighborhood you know kay be much better than sleeping in a state park or on someone elses land you dont know with the 1k's of others who bugged out, wondering if you might get shot by a land owner or feelow survivor.

• Like 2

Speed is going to be of the absolute essence in a scenario like this.  By the time you get to day 2, it's going to be too late to start moving distance of any consequence.

Were it to head south, you need to go, and go fast.  I'd cover what ground I could in the car as fast as I possibly could and then look to moving to a bike or something similar - fold up bike or electric razor scooter in the trunk.  Were it me, I'd look to stay off the major arterials and cover what ground I could by car quickly, but when that's no longer feasible, move to an alternative.  My kids have a scooter that I've tried for endurance - 19 miles.  That should get you close enough that you can cover the rest on foot.  But, this gets your commute time to hours as opposed to days (never).

When I was driving a long distance everyday, I used to keep one of my kids old bikes in the trunk. It fit easy enough and was big enough that I could still ride it. Sure would beat walking.

One of these would be really nice http://www.quietkat.com/

My wife's sister lives here in Chattanooga but commutes 2 days a week to the Northern perimeter of Atlanta for work.  My bro in law have repeatedly told her that at the first sign of things going South she needs to get out of that Hell hole immediately.  No time for finishing the business day.  Grab your purse and get in the car.  Atlanta would be nearly impossible to escape from by car almost immediately.

Atlanta would be nearly impossible to escape from by car almost immediately.

Yikes!  Especially if the disaster in question were related to weather coming inland from the coast (meaning folks from Florida, South Carolina or the Gulf areas etc. might already be jamming the roadways.)

Edited by JAB

It sort of depends on what SHTF scenario is encountered? 

A severe earthquake is a real possibility overdue around here or a terrorist attack, that's immediate action of course. I believe you would have plenty of time to bug out for economic collapse, default on interest payment, etc. to get rolling.

In the event everyone panics at once then I definitely concur to stay as isolated as possible, off the main roads, etc. As everyone knows, the shortest distance between point A and B is a straight line. Roads tend to follow the path of least resistance and generally are much longer than the crow flies. So a compass and "good" map are very essential.

I sure wouldn't want to have to build a crappy raft and try to float across the Ohio or Mississippi River trying to get home.

My situation is similar to yours in that I live in a rural location but I work in a more metropolitan one - although I am closer to home than you as home is about 30 miles or so from work.  Luckily for me, my job is right at the edge of the city of Knoxville (definitely Knox County but I'm not entirely sure we are actually in Knoxville or if we are just barely outside of Knoxville) so I am not 'trapped' in the downtown area.  It is the western edge where there is often a lot of traffic, though.  Again, luckily, Knoxville hasn't entirely eaten up the 'outskirts', yet and coming out of the complex where the building I work in is located, I only have to travel about fifty feet on a busy road before I can turn off and take back roads/country roads pretty much all the way home.

Honestly, if I got enough of a 'jump' on the situation, I believe I could drive home.  The big 'choke point' for me is that getting home requires crossing the Tennessee River on one bridge or another no matter what route I take.  By the time I get that far, though, the traffic on the bridge along the non-Interstate route will hopefully be manageable - although it will still be a PITA.

My main concern is that, because I work on a satellite campus for a private college and because even having firearms in our vehicles is against the employee policies, I wouldn't be all that well equipped for a situation that required shooting my way out of trouble or where I ended up needing to take small game for food, etc.  Hopefully, though, I could just haul butt home in the vehicle or at least get close enough that the emergency food supplies I'd have with me would be enough to walk the rest of the way home.

I would go buy a pistol, preferably a Glock, I would vacuum seal it in a bag with 2-3 loaded magazines. Wrap it in a cloth and duct tape to prevent rubbing holes in the bag then I would then stick it somwhere your employers would never look. Inside the door behind the door panel is a place your employer would never risk damaging to inspect your car. If you need your gun you would care less about damaging the door panel to get to it. If they use dogs to search for weapons then run the sealed bag through a dishwashing cycle and wash your hands before handling the sealed bag again. You would be surprized what all can fit inside the various areas of your car.

But the most important thing about this plan? Shut your mouth about it.

Then I would make sure to have a bag with the supplies you think you will need for 2x-3x the estimated time it will take. Don't plan for the best, plan for the worst. That is probably the biggest mistake most people make, they plan for ideal conditions. Water and food consumtion changes with the weather. Also, the amount of people you might meet will also depend on the weather.

If something happens I am not going anywhere. If I am in town, and 20 miles away, I will go as fast as I can to get home. We are rarely more than 20 miles away from home ever and even under a worst case scenario that is a days travel.

• Like 1

I have a program laid out. Just me and old dog. Have all my stuff packed in small totes and will head to daughters house in country about 30 minutes drive on back roads. In country and kind of secluded. I will have food, water, survival first aid equipment and plenty of weapons and ammo and Jeep will be full. Can be loaded and gone in less the 15 minutes. from here. Always keep my jeep gas tank full. Never let it get below 3/4 tank. I have been storing stuff that will be needed at their place for over a year now. I have an issue with my son- in-law that he will learn fast why I did what I have been doing. He says something like that could never happen in this country. My son also has that same issue so he has not made any plans either but he lives about 50 miles farther than daughter does so I had to choose lessor of two evils in the decision to build my survival program.  He still thinks I am crazy but doesn't say much as I show up with more supplies from time to time.................JMHO

This is my "NIGHTMARE", not being able to get home.

My job takes me all over central and west TN.

I have talked to my family about what to do and not to do.

"IF" I have a clear path, do not get in my way, is all I can say.

• Like 1

Getting stuck away from home would be a nightmare. My wife also drives a distance to work, and her being on the road trying to get home is worse. If it does ever hit the fan, I pray we're all at home. I will be bugging in unless it isn't safe. The ultimate plan would be to carry a gyrocopter around in the back of my truck, lol. Not too practical though. 5u8ubyju.jpg

Edited by Batman
  • Like 1

Great points, concerns and thoughts folks.

Crossing bodies of water will be the greatest challenge, imho.

Even though there are numerous back roads(and I do have several routes mapped out to my home) bridges are relatively few and are natural choke points. Face it, we have a lot of creeks, rivers, and lakes in the SE.

Maintaining a small inflatable or flotation device in your "get home" kit is something to consider.

I too live relatively close, less than 20 miles. I agree...unass the area ASAP. But consider how rapidly traffic congests normally, and plan accordingly.

:2cents:

Great points, concerns and thoughts folks.

Crossing bodies of water will be the greatest challenge, imho.

Even though there are numerous back roads(and I do have several routes mapped out to my home) bridges are relatively few and are natural choke points. Face it, we have a lot of creeks, rivers, and lakes in the SE.
Maintaining a small inflatable or flotation device in your "get home" kit is something to consider.

I too live relatively close, less than 20 miles. I agree...unass the area ASAP. But consider how rapidly traffic congests normally, and plan accordingly.

:2cents:

If younpack your kit right, the bag will float. We had to pack our ILBE packs and do swim qual with them in the Marines. I can float a 70 lb pack pretty easy. You can buy military waterproofing bags,or just use contractor trash bags. Put the bag in your pack open, pack everything in bag, then tie with paracord. Pack anything in outside pockets inaide of sealed ziplocs. You can make the pack float enough to use it for a float device to lay on and kick your way across a creek or river.

• Like 2

Excellent advice Spots.

I have a couple of contractor bags in my GHB...I'll rearrange it as you suggest.

Tossing my GHB into one and floating it was my plan...your suggestion will simply have me one step ahead.

I am a ziplock bag junkie...at least according to my Wife. :cool:

Many, many uses. Great stuff and a person can never have too many.

Excellent advice Spots.

I have a couple of contractor bags in my GHB...I'll rearrange it as you suggest.

Tossing my GHB into one and floating it was my plan...your suggestion will simply have me one step ahead.

I am a ziplock bag junkie...at least according to my Wife. :cool:

Many, many uses. Great stuff and a person can never have too many.

Yeah everything in my bag is either in ziplocs or trash bags. I actually use an ILBE right now and it floats just fine. I want to order the new style waterproofing bags with the one way air valve but they are freaking expensive.

I haven't seen the bags you mentioned...but I figure a couple of contractor bags otta get me across the one river and 2 creeks I'll need to cross. At least that's the plan.

Its this one. Just a more permanent solution and a little nicer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004V1NCAY/ref=pd_aw_sims_1?pi=SL500_SY115

They make all different sizes.

• Like 1

You can use the old Boy Scout method, too. Tie off the ends of your pant legs, and fill them with air by throwing them over your head. As long as the fabric is wet, they'll retain air and provide a lot of flotation as sort of an emergency PFD.

http://m.voices.yahoo.com/learning-every-day-items-as-personal-floatation-11342926.html

You can do the same thing with a shirt or blouse. Ive floated for hours by laying my head back on my blown up uniform blouse. Just blow into collar then pull tight around neck. Repeat until you have an air cushion under your head.

You can do the same thing with a shirt or blouse. Ive floated for hours by laying my head back on my blown up uniform blouse. Just blow into collar then pull tight around neck. Repeat until you have an air cushion under your head.

Uncle Sam taught us old Sailors that trick as well. LOL. And it flippin works. :up:

btw...Thanks for the link Spots. Looks pretty good my friend.