My worst case scenario

I to worry about crossing water, in winter!

If you need to cross a water and its cold, strip your clothes off and put them in your bag to keep them dry. Cross either naked or in your skives and plan to change them. Once on the other side, towel dry off as much as possible, and if you can build a fire. Get dressed quickly once dry.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

• Like 1

I to worry about crossing water, in winter!

Yeah, that's a bigger problem.

If you need to cross a water and its cold, strip your clothes off and put them in your bag to keep them dry. Cross either naked or in your skives and plan to change them. Once on the other side, towel dry off as much as possible, and if you can build a fire. Get dressed quickly once dry.

Good suggestion.

Just a thought, how well would a twin or full size air mattress work as a raft? A thin one packs pretty small and could be useful for other purposes (bedding, shelter, lean-to, etc.) Edited by Batman

Yeah, that's a bigger problem.
Good suggestion.
Just a thought, how well would a twin or full size air mattress work as a raft? A thin one packs pretty small and could be useful for other purposes (bedding, shelter, lean-to, etc.)

Love the idea, but it would be a mother to manually inflate. Even if you had a 12volt inflator it would be a bear once full sized and hauling gear

Love the idea, but it would be a mother to manually inflate. Even if you had a 12volt inflator it would be a bear once full sized and hauling gear

You're right. You might blow out a lung doing it the old-fashioned way. I think you would need to travel with it deflated. That's a funny mental picture.... BOB on one shoulder, air mattress on the other, lol.

It might be a handy thing though if crossing a big river was a real possibility. Although time consuming to inflate/deflate

Getting stuck away from home would be a nightmare. My wife also drives a distance to work, and her being on the road trying to get home is worse. If it does ever hit the fan, I pray we're all at home. I will be bugging in unless it isn't safe.The ultimate plan would be to carry a gyrocopter around in the back of my truck, lol. Not too practical though.5u8ubyju.jpg

That's EXACTLY what I've been wanting. Not for the back of the truck, but to stage near the city to get home 50 miles away in case the roads get clogged. One problem may be if all aircraft are grounded (remember 9/11?). But I think one may be able to get by anyway by riding the treetops and staying between the hills.

Anyone know what kind of radar signature these things have?

EDIT: Alternatively, I'd like to get a couple of these. They fold up to almost nothing.

http://www.strida.com/en/main/ Edited by Clod Stomper

Keep a couple cheap pool floating mattresses in the pack. Easy to inflate by lung, light, small and cheap. I used one most of a summer sleeping on the ground and it held up pretty well. When it quit holding air, I was out all of 2 bucks.
  • Like 2

That's EXACTLY what I've been wanting. Not for the back of the truck, but to stage near the city to get home 50 miles away in case the roads get clogged. One problem may be if all aircraft are grounded (remember 9/11?). But I think one may be able to get by anyway by riding the treetops and staying between the hills.

EDIT: Alternatively, I'd like to get a couple of these. They fold up to almost nothing.

http://www.strida.com/en/main/

Radar signature... quite large.  If you stay low, that would help but its much more dangerous.  They're also very loud.  Remember how quiet it was on 9/11?  People would hear it for miles around.

EDIT: Alternatively, I'd like to get a couple of these. They fold up to almost nothing. http://www.strida.com/en/main/

I think you would be ok for a 50 mile trip. Get a VFR sectional chart and avoid overflying other airports (and populated areas) to reduce suspicion. Without a transponder, the radar signature will just be a primary return. At the speed these fly, a radar return could be passed off as a flock of birds. I fly in and out of airports in a large jet as my job. There are plenty of smaller airports where air traffic control advises radar coverage being lost down low, so I wouldn't be concerned about being picked up in a gyrocopter. Stay low and slow. Edited by Batman

Keep a couple cheap pool floating mattresses in the pack. Easy to inflate by lung, light, small and cheap. I used one most of a summer sleeping on the ground and it held up pretty well. When it quit holding air, I was out all of 2 bucks.

At first I was imagining a queen size double stuffed air mattress!!!

EDIT: Alternatively, I'd like to get a couple of these. They fold up to almost nothing. http://www.strida.com/en/main/

Those Stridas look cool. Haven't seen those before.

I posted a link to the QuiteKat electric scooter somewhere in this thread, but here's a YouTube video I found of it. Interesting transportation. PRICEY though, ouch. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=62B2fReyZvk Edited by Batman

There are plenty of things to build a float laying around. Plastic water or soda bottles with lids make great floats once you have enough. I bet you could float a person with 25 stuffed inside a shirt or something. And they could double for water storage between water crossings.

Yeah everything in my bag is either in ziplocs or trash bags. I actually use an ILBE right now and it floats just fine. I want to order the new style waterproofing bags with the one way air valve but they are freaking expensive.

The vacuum seal bags aren't very expensive
http://www.amazon.com/Wholesale-Vacuum-Storage-Medium-Travel/dp/B0035Z9CYM/ref=lp_3744541_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378469922&sr=1-3

And here is a cheap and easy way to make a hand operated pump to either push or pull air or water.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaho7JSVS1I 

And to make the one way valves:
http://youtu.be/DG6own141z0

I have a program laid out. Just me and old dog. Have all my stuff packed in small totes and will head to daughters house in country about 30 minutes drive on back roads. In country and kind of secluded. I will have food, water, survival first aid equipment and plenty of weapons and ammo and Jeep will be full. Can be loaded and gone in less the 15 minutes. from here. Always keep my jeep gas tank full. Never let it get below 3/4 tank. I have been storing stuff that will be needed at their place for over a year now. I have an issue with my son- in-law that he will learn fast why I did what I have been doing. He says something like that could never happen in this country. My son also has that same issue so he has not made any plans either but he lives about 50 miles farther than daughter does so I had to choose lessor of two evils in the decision to build my survival program.  He still thinks I am crazy but doesn't say much as I show up with more supplies from time to time.................JMHO

Hate to say it but you are overstepping your bounds if you are telling another man, your son in law, how to take care of HIS family. I know a lot say the children were their family first but that doesn't matter once they leave your home and begin their own family. Making your daughter live in between you two is very stressful and can cause problems with her family. 

If you have an issue with your son in law, and how he chooses to live, why not find somewhere else to store your stuff. Why risk loosing all your supplies when he tells you that you are not welcome at their house. How do you plan on getting your supplies back if he won't let you? How are you even going to prove that stuff is even yours? It already sounds like there is some tension in the household over your storage or your "suggestions" on how he should take care of his family. If a member of the "team" is not 100% on board you need to replace them. 

I know if my father, or anyone else, showed up trying to tell me what to do concerning my family I would send them on their way. Family or not I would do it with force if necessary. No one, especially my family, is going to tell me how my family and I are going to live and prepare or if we choose to prepare at all.

• Like 1

In 2008 I believe we had a 3. something earthquake along the New Madrid fault line. I was sitting at my desk the following day feeling one of the stronger after shocks, odd feeling. Odd thing was, I actually sensed something before I felt any shaking and determined what is was? Anywho...

Working mid-town St. Louis, Missouri and living just across the Mississippi river in Cahokia, IL. I got to thinking about how to get home if the big one hits and the biggest obstacle of the mighty Miss. I'd have to pray it wasn't in the winter for obvious freezing water reasons and if the many tug boat barges would be flowing backwards.

I would go buy a pistol, preferably a Glock, I would vacuum seal it in a bag with 2-3 loaded magazines. Wrap it in a cloth and duct tape to prevent rubbing holes in the bag then I would then stick it somwhere your employers would never look. Inside the door behind the door panel is a place your employer would never risk damaging to inspect your car. If you need your gun you would care less about damaging the door panel to get to it. If they use dogs to search for weapons then run the sealed bag through a dishwashing cycle and wash your hands before handling the sealed bag again. You would be surprized what all can fit inside the various areas of your car.

But the most important thing about this plan? Shut your mouth about it.

Then I would make sure to have a bag with the supplies you think you will need for 2x-3x the estimated time it will take. Don't plan for the best, plan for the worst. That is probably the biggest mistake most people make, they plan for ideal conditions. Water and food consumtion changes with the weather. Also, the amount of people you might meet will also depend on the weather.

If something happens I am not going anywhere. If I am in town, and 20 miles away, I will go as fast as I can to get home. We are rarely more than 20 miles away from home ever and even under a worst case scenario that is a days travel.

Thanks for the ideas.  I really don't know how likely it is that my employer would check my vehicle.  I have worked here for eight years, now, and to my knowledge they have never checked vehicles on this campus.  My 'concern' is that I guess it would only take one bomb threat or other, similar 'prank' to have dogs sniffing around the parking lot.  Of course, weighing the odds of that happening against the odds of needing to defend myself on the way to or from work...well, I won't say any more.

Mostly what I was talking about, above, was that it is difficult to stash a long gun in my vehicle where I can be certain that it will never be seen, even incidentally.  Further, because I work at a private college (school), I am not even sure about the legality of keeping a long gun in the vehicle (getting fired would suck but getting charged with a crime - especially a gun related crime - would suck even worse.)

A handgun would certainly be better than nothing but if I ended up (worst case) schlepping cross country in a situation where A. I might have to take small game for food and B. I might have to defend against threats, I would prefer having a shotgun or rifle at hand.

Edited by JAB

There are plenty of things to build a float laying around. Plastic water or soda bottles with lids make great floats once you have enough. I bet you could float a person with 25 stuffed inside a shirt or something. And they could double for water storage between water crossings.

The vacuum seal bags aren't very expensive
http://www.amazon.com/Wholesale-Vacuum-Storage-Medium-Travel/dp/B0035Z9CYM/ref=lp_3744541_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378469922&sr=1-3

And here is a cheap and easy way to make a hand operated pump to either push or pull air or water.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaho7JSVS1I 

And to make the one way valves:
http://youtu.be/DG6own141z0

Hate to say it but you are overstepping your bounds if you are telling another man, your son in law, how to take care of HIS family. I know a lot say the children were their family first but that doesn't matter once they leave your home and begin their own family. Making your daughter live in between you two is very stressful and can cause problems with her family. 

If you have an issue with your son in law, and how he chooses to live, why not find somewhere else to store your stuff. Why risk loosing all your supplies when he tells you that you are not welcome at their house. How do you plan on getting your supplies back if he won't let you? How are you even going to prove that stuff is even yours? It already sounds like there is some tension in the household over your storage or your "suggestions" on how he should take care of his family. If a member of the "team" is not 100% on board you need to replace them. 

I know if my father, or anyone else, showed up trying to tell me what to do concerning my family I would send them on their way. Family or not I would do it with force if necessary. No one, especially my family, is going to tell me how my family and I are going to live and prepare or if we choose to prepare at all.

The more I read these lines to more I know what I am gona have to do, gona be hard but "my" family will have to come first.

Mom cant move, Dad wont, brothers might come to me, Sis just dont know, gona be tuff.

The more I read these lines to more I know what I am gona have to do, gona be hard but "my" family will have to come first.

Mom cant move, Dad wont, brothers might come to me, Sis just dont know, gona be tuff.

My family does come first but only my immediate family. My sister is part of the "immediate" family. My mother, father and brother are no longer part of my family because of what they have done to me, my wife and especially our son. If my mother, father and brother came up to our door needing help because of an emergency I would dial 911, lock the doors and close the blinds. They cannot be trusted

There is a long history I will not get into but suffice to say anyone who has had to deal what I have would feel the same way.

My family does come first but only my immediate family. My sister is part of the "immediate" family. My mother, father and brother are no longer part of my family because of what they have done to me, my wife and especially our son. If my mother, father and brother came up to our door needing help because of an emergency I would dial 911, lock the doors and close the blinds. They cannot be trusted

There is a long history I will not get into but suffice to say anyone who has had to deal what I have would feel the same way.

I have similar feelings. I understand, most people don't get it but I do.
My wife and kids and myself are a small tight-knit group. We will be together till the end; whenever that may be.

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

Those Stridas look cool. Haven't seen those before.

I posted a link to the QuiteKat electric scooter somewhere in this thread, but here's a YouTube video I found of it. Interesting transportation. PRICEY though, ouch. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=62B2fReyZvk

I saw that. It's what made me think of the Strida. I like that QuietKat a lot. Wonder how long it will run on a charge. Too bad it looks like there isn't a manual pedal.

About the only family I have that "gets it" is a few cousins and a close friend. My dad and brother, though family, have no idea and believe nothing is ever gonna happen. I however believe in being prepared, hopefully not for the worst, but be prepared for any type of situation which i might have to encounter. I leave from work late at night and am thinking in the back of my mind, something could happen at any time. Thing is, I probably will be bugging in, as the house is a fortress and I will have reinforcements.  

Another great point I've overlooked: I have to cross the Cumberland. That would not be a easy swim.

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

Crossing the Cumberland in winter could quickly become deadly.  Depending on where you are you are talking a minimum of what maybe 300 yards across, 50ish degree water probably?  Add into that current.  In the summer I wouldn't hesitate to swim it but in the winter that seems like a recipe for disaster.   What do you think Spots?  Would that still be a go for you?  I think in an emergency situation I would be looking for a boat to "borrow."  Yep I think that cold water could compromise my morals pretty quickly.

I just don't get the people who OBJECT to preparing, especially when they say things like "Oh, that will never happen."  Chances are that  my house will never catch on fire but I like to keep a couple of fire extinguishers on hand, doesn't hurt anything.  Of course these people probably don't do that either.

Edited by 10-Ring