Boot/Shoe recommendations?

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

Since I am sure there are plenty of people here who are boot wearers and plenty who require comfortable, functional shoes in their jobs, I figured I would ask. (Been putting off asking here, just using the trial and error method).

Here's the situation. I have walked with a not very pronounced limp for about 20 years since injuring my right foot. Now its very pronounced because its beginning to be more and more painful. Broke foot twice, neuroma removed and diabetic neuropathy all seem to be combining to not be very comfortable (Pain). Not sure if its all of that, some of that or none of that. But it is getting worse to the point at times I can barely walk because of this right foot. Plus, from reading, I believe it also has some to do with my back pain. Having worn boots for 30 years up until about 5 years ago, my boots were more function over comfort. My boot and shoe soles also wear on the right side of my right foot because of walking with pain and having to tilt my foot to walk without.

So, I was considering some of those shoes I see Police wearing. But then remembered I have a pair that I had to wear on the job 5 or 6 years ago and they were no better. 

So just looking for recommendatons. Looking for this on a boot or shoe.

Comfort of course. 

Thicker sole that isnt going to wear out on one side in a month (Like the vibrams I used to wear that would last a year, but not as hard)

Cushion

A REAL arch support

I was thinking maybe a good pair of backpacking boots (low cut), and have a pair but they are junk and have the same problems. Tenner shoes are out, I go through even the most expensive shoe in about 2 months. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated from those who wear boots and shoes for work (Or just generally) with those requirements on a daily basis.

Note these will be every day wear. I plan on getting whatever is recommended that works tomorrow evening, about at the point that I can no longer wear anything I have.  

I don't wear boots much, but go on construction sites from time to time.  I bought a pair of RedWing boots about 25 years ago and still wear them when needed.  They come with various types of soles and with/without steel toes.  Mine don't have steel toes and have a slick sole, but that's not very good for working out on my property as I slide around.  I've been meaning to pick up a pair with some good tread on them, but overall I have been extremely happy with the RedWings.  They have been extremely comfortable.  Don't know how long they would last if worn every day, but I have a feeling they are one of the better boots - a little pricey too, but worth it in my opinion.  I believe you're supposed to oil them down once a year, but I have not done so and they are still in great shape.  You can also pick up some inserts to better match the shape of your feet and try them on with the boots - it may help your back also.  Best wishes, B

Edited by Bassoneer

I got a pair of Timberland Pro work boots a couple years ago.  They've got the composite safety toe and are, by far, the lightest and most comfortable work boots I've ever worn.  Given your foot problems, I'd highly recommend you look into custom foot beds.  The regular Dr. Scholl's work for me, but some quality custom food beds would probably help significantly. 

Edited by peejman
I'm on my feet 10-12hrs a day. I recently got a pair of Thorogood boots and I love them. I had to get the ones with a certain nonslip sole so I didn't even get the ones made in USA, but they are still great. The ones made in US look even nicer. By the way Tanker you may want to try a chiropractor for your back. I've had some bad back pain and my doc has done wonders for me. Good luck.

My vote goes with Bates, Working in the Jail 12 hour shifts and at a constant trot my feet feel good after work. I was also have a problem with foot pain due to an old injury. A podiatrist told me to get a pair or Dr scholls custom fit orthotics. (You get them at Wal-Mart stand on this platform with your shoes off and it tells you where you need extra support and the style to get) I was VERY skeptical of these but they work well for me.  

Bates lace up at Academy Sports only $89. I will wear these even on my days off they feel so good.

I wore Bates for years in the Corps, and continued to wear them after I got out until a couple of months back. They wear like iron, and were very comfortable for me. Now I'm wearing Red Dawg loggers. I would suggest looking into logging boots for arch support as they almost all have steel shanks in them, and most of them wear forever once broken in.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Guest Lester Weevils
I have some made in usa Dunham 6" boots that are comfy, and currently wear made in usa 8" thorogood that work good and are wearing well. Maybe a good quality boot could be resoled if anybody does that kind of work any more.

Dunno if Dunham has many made in usa boots any more.

I'm more fond lately of at least 8" boots for outside wear because of the ankle protection. Less likely to get tripped up and fall. Hurt myself pretty bad twice in the past out in the woods "walking for my health".

Inside, I like the "fancy sandals" that keep a good grip on the foot, with stylish white cotton socks. :) Edited by Lester Weevils

I'm more fond lately of at least 8" boots for outside wear because of the ankle protection. Less likely to get tripped up and fall. Hurt myself pretty bad twice in the past out in the woods "walking for my health"

I wear 12" Loggers now after hurting both my ankles more than once in the last 5 years. The extra length and the security it provides for my screwed up ankles makes up for the weight.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Guest TresOsos

You might see about a set of custom orthotics that you can use in any shoes boots you buy.

Personally I like Danners, I find they are comfortable out of the box and don't really need a

break in  period.

Most comfortable boots I've ever owned are Altama ExoSpeed II's, very light, very coushy, its is difficult to tell that you're wearing boots.

http://www.altama.com/products/3658-tan-desert-8-exospeed-ii-boot

They come in different colors, just snagged the first link I googled up, only downside is they start to wear out after a bout a year of daily wear, the form-fitted foam that makes them so light & coushy is also not the most durable of materials, however the level of comfort while they last is definately worth it.

I have a pair of Bates boots I got from LA Police Gear,, they were the USMC Rat boots. I got them for $39 and the quality was excellent, this was some kind of closeout deal due to a change in the government contracts or something. Not sure if they sill have them because at that price I am sure they went quick. I saw them on some other websites for $69 which still seemed very cheap given the quality of the boots. I don't wear them all the time but I just happened to be wearing them today and they are really comfortable. I liked them so much I went back to get another pair 2 weeks after buying these and they were sold out of my size. I have had these about 6 months.

For pull on work boots I would recommend Red Wings or Justin, always had good luck with them. I wear the pull on boots when I work out in our garage area but I wear the Bates boots 1 day a week when I work in the office.

I'm on my feet 10-12hrs a day. I recently got a pair of Thorogood boots and I love them. I had to get the ones with a certain nonslip sole so I didn't even get the ones made in USA, but they are still great. The ones made in US look even nicer. By the way Tanker you may want to try a chiropractor for your back. I've had some bad back pain and my doc has done wonders for me. Good luck.

+1 on the Thorogoods!

Bought these in June 2011.
A9FC96E7-514D-4E7C-B6A9-BF4BB17E0030-679

Walk in this environment every day
DF03AFA7-D331-4E8F-9311-56BAD33F8732-679

A pair of Timberland Pros that I bought before the Thorogoods, wore 'em for about 6 months: (just happened to have them in the back of the truck)
343290B3-57CF-41BA-B1E0-EE372A44A977-679

That was my second set of Timberlands, the first held up for over a year so I bought another and they were terrible. I'm about to order another pr of Thorogoods just b/c I want some pull ons. They're the best boots I've ever owned. Better than the Redwings I had and these were comfortable straight out of the box.
Guest Lester Weevils

Many moons ago when I was about 30, bro in law was in the army, him and sis stationed in Germany. Mom went to Germany for a visit and brought me back some German-made hiking boots. Can't for the life of me recall the brand, but those suckers lasted forever and were real comfortable.

They were the kind with no heel, just a real thick solid grippy sole made out of that light yellow rubber stuff. The uppers lasted long enough for a resole or two.

Real comfortable for a sole with nearly no flex. I recall one time wearing them, jumping around on those big rocks out at the soddy daisy blue hole, and it was real easy to keep a footing because the treads were so grippy/knobby, and the lack of flex on the thick soles had minimal shock/pain on the feets doing stuff almost athletic on hard rock. That would have been painful even for a youngster with typical tennis shoes.

Had an attack of gout a month or two ago, and the thorogoods have fairly stiff soles, and it was least painful walking around in the thorogoods, because the gout didn't hurt too bad as long as the big toe didn't flex too much.

Maybe those german boots were more "mountaineering" than "hiking" boots, dunno. What kind of boots would one look for, for the item above described?

Edited by Lester Weevils

An $80 pair of New Balance walking shoes, and a $400 set of orthotic inserts from a podiatrist to correct your ankle misalignment and fallen arches.

Heck - it works for me!  Still hurts a little but I get around.

I went to an orthopaedic surgeon who couldn't even diagnose my fallen arches - it takes a podiatrist.

Guest TankerHC
I actually wear that. Only way I get any real relief. Socks required. Cant afford to get a blister. The sandals and socks. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2 Edited by TankerHC
Guest TresOsos

Had an attack of gout

Cherries, Cherries, Cherries, cherry juice and more cherrys. I eat about 2 oz of dried tart Cherries every evening before bed.

Really helps with the gout issue and I eat a lot of fresh Cherries when in season.

Guest TankerHC

Thanks to all for all of the suggestions, recommendations. Tried all of them this afternoon and evening. All of them were good recommendations. Only problem I had finding any at several different places were the Ariats, the only ones I could find were Western Boots. Tried them on anyway, must have tried 15-17 different pairs of boots, work boots, hiking boots, Western Boots, etc.. Before each time I googled proper fit for type, and how to test for proper fit. Strangely enough, seemed like the best detail on proper fit for each type came from Hikers and Mountain Climbers in Minnesota. (One guy claimed he had 2000 hard miles on his Bates with no sign they would fail anytime soon)

Ended up getting what was best (for me) which was a pair of Bates Enforcer Ultralites. Immediately took out the insoles and replaced them with Spectrum SpectraGel Orthotic Sports Insoles. Amazingly (And I know it might sound unbelievable) the relief was almost instantaneous. The Bates were already Ultralites and I think I even lightened them a few ounces with the new insoles. 

There is still pain, but nothing near what it has been the last two to three months. So trial and error didnt work. Asking here did.

Thanks again

J

Edited by TankerHC

I got a pair of Timberland Pro work boots a couple years ago.  They've got the composite safety toe and are, by far, the lightest and most comfortable work boots I've ever worn.  Given your foot problems, I'd highly recommend you look into custom foot beds.  The regular Dr. Scholl's work for me, but some quality custom food beds would probably help significantly. 

That's what I've been wearing for a few years and I love them! My job pays $100 towards a new pair every year so I only end up out of pocket about $30 or $40. 

Guest Bassman17SC

Also, you can always replace the insoles (usually removable) with some good ones that do have good arch support.  New Balance makes some, but i am sure there are others.  

You could also try the Dr. Scholl gel inserts.  I've been using those in my boots for two years now and they are great.

I see you already got you some boots but I just thought I'd throw this out there.  Merrell shoes.  As long as you don't need a real boot, these may be what you are looking for.  I've been wearing the same pair for over 2 years, I'm out in the dirt and rocks everyday and they have held up great.  I'd pair them up with a good orthodic and you will probably be good to go. 

• 1 year later...
I'll revive this thread that has been dead for almost two years because I have found a boot that I love. I work in an environment that is very hard on boots. I started with a pair of Ariats and I guess I just don't have an Ariat foot as they were very uncomfortable for me. I wore them everyday 12 hours a day for about 3 weeks, so they had plenty of time to break in but they hurt to walk more than 100 yards in. Finally I went to Elliott's seeking advice, I told the salesman my desires were waterproof, composite toe, and comfortable and must be a leather boot, and I really didn't care what they cost. He laughed and told me that no one made a boot that fit that criteria but that I should try the closest thing made. I tried on a pair of HyTest boots and they felt like house shoes! I looked for reviews online and could find little about them. I went ahead and bought them and I've been wearing them for about 3 months now and can't say enough good about them, super comfortable even on those days when I'm standing for long periods, I smile every morning when I put them on because they feel good! They were a bit pricey right at $200 but I'm willing to pay that to be comfortable at work. Plus my work environment is very rough on boots and they are holding up great. Just thought that I would pass my good experience on for others.