Felony charges for fishing gear at school

rugerla1

http://www.fox17.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wztv_vid_20584.shtml

COBB COUNTY, GA - A student accidentally violates his school weapon policies and is charged with a felony. The reason for the charge?

Police found fishing gear in his car on school property. Cody Chitwood, a 17 year old senior at Lassiter high School, has been charged with the felony of bringing a weapon into a school zone when he accidentally left his fishing gear in his car.

Police found fishing knives in a tackle box in his car when they were performing a random sweep. Drug dogs detected gun powder in Chitwood's car from firecracker residue left over from the Fourth of July.

The residue warranted a full search of the vehicle and led police to his fishing gear. Cody is an avid fisherman and he is hoping to get the felony dropped so he can get into the Air Force. He could face up to 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine if the district attorney decides to prosecute

It sounds like those knives were obviously there with the intent of cleaning fish but in this case it is common sense that is getting gutted.  I am coming to believe that the zero tolerance crap is not only intended to condition the nation's youth to pee their pants any time they see anything that could remotely be a weapon but also to discourage things like hunting and fishing.  You'd think that friggin' PETA was running the country.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 7

Another worrisome thing is where this took place.  Cobb county, Georgia.  You expect stupid crap like this from head-up-their-ass places like Illinois and the like but Georgia? 

That's what I was thinking. This crap has spread a lot farther than most realize.

Guest TankerHC
About 6 months ago there was a demographic chart posted on a conservative website showing shifts in voting due to movement by Americans from blue states to red states. Georgia was next on the list to go solidly blue. Within two years IIRC. Tn wasn't far behind. It was Georgia, then Florida then Tennessee. If trends continue.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Cobb County is in the cesspool of Atlanta........no real suprise to me...Jawja has been gettin less n less Southron all the time.....

Exactly what I was thinking.  Marietta is only about one step down from Atlanta.

I see this going one of two ways. Either a judge will dismiss the charges with a verbal warning or they will  prosecute the poor kid and make an example of him which to me would be an example ok but it would be a bad example set by the judge and not the kid........jmho

I'll ask the rhetorical question again; why the hell does anyone still have their kids in public schools?  Here, there or anywhere?

The people who do have kids in public schools are going to have to take it upon themselves to politely bur firmly say to this crap, not just no but HELL NO.

If this panty-wetting crap of suspending kinds and/or charging them with serious crimes over drawing a picture of a gun or using your fingers as a pretend gun and fishing gear or playing with an play gun in the kid's own damn yard is beaten back there will be no stopping the inundation of this stuff that will overtake your kinds and this country.

• Like 1

Ya know... it's time to just beat the #### out of some folks.

It’s time to make people do their jobs. Is a kid bringing a knife to school in a fishing tackle box the same as a thug carrying his switchblade in school? No, they are not the same and should not be treated the same. Take discretion away from teachers and law enforcement and this is what you will get; zero tolerance. It sucks and it’s because some people are too lazy or scared to do their jobs. Felony my azz, the Police officers and the DA (if this kid is charged) should be ashamed.

• Like 2

It’s time to make people do their jobs. Is a kid bringing a knife to school in a fishing tackle box the same as a thug carrying his switchblade in school? No, they are not the same and should not be treated the same. Take discretion away from teachers and law enforcement and this is what you will get; zero tolerance. It sucks and it’s because some people are too lazy or scared to do their jobs. Felony my azz, the Police officers and the DA (if this kid is charged) should be ashamed.

It's also the fact that anything remotely resembling weapons of any kind are being purged from society at the grade school level. I think it's way more sinister than plain old incompetence.

I think what needs to happen is everyone that has Children or Grand children needs to begin taking them hunting and fishing. Teaching them gun safety and take them hunting. Teach them the do's and don't of gun control. Girls or boys , makes no difference take them hunting and fishing. Not just to prove a point but because someday the skills both hunting and fishing may be what they have to depend on two survive. I know that it is just TV to a point but I watch the discovery channel and the history channel for all those programs like Swamp people. Yukon, The last Frontier, Yukon Men and other survival programs and just programs showing their everyday lives. Even though I was military trained in survival I was hunting and fishing since age 8 and did it all my life till I got to old the climb trees with stands and walk behind dogs for rabbits and birds or I would be in the woods and fields every day now.

This type of crap is really pissing me off. I think there is a fundamental problem with this "zero tolerance" bullshit and it's this:

Any time you have a government, and a school district is a government, you have three functions, Legislative - the school board, Executive - the school administration and Judicial.

Right now, in most school systems, the Judicial function is being performed by the Executive. That is a prescription for TYRANNY.

Zero Tolerance is a hateful, demagogic, tyrannical concept.

School districts need to set up an independent Judicial function. Staff it with parents or grandparents, retired administrators, and former school board members, or such.

Otherwise, stupid crap like this is going to end up in the regular court system, as our system of government calls for the opportunity for redress.

• Like 2
Guest ThePunisher
If a dog can smell firecracker burnt powder residue and they can make searches like this, then it won't be long before they will be searching everyone's car parked on the street or any public parking place to confiscate your guns or anything these commies desire to take from you. I'm here to tell you we are living in a Gestapo police state.
Guest ThePunisher

I'll ask the rhetorical question again; why the hell does anyone still have their kids in public schools?  Here, there or anywhere?

Better question would be why in the hell do we keep electing these commie politicians that are hellbent on taking all our liberties and freedoms? Yes, even lots of people with high IQ's and know right from wrong continue to vote for these commies.