Season 4

Oh Shoot

I believe at one point they postulated that it was a virus causing the initial infection, but they needed antibiotics for the secondary bacterial infections.  Or at least that was the impression that I got.  

They could plausibly explain the whole sickness as a flu strain that allows a secondary bacterial pneumonia to take hold, and the deaths occur from the bacterial infection.  Thus, those who hung on until the antibiotics arrived get saved.  They could even explain why no one else gets sick by saying that the virus burned itself out--it ran out of hosts before Hershel, Maggie, Tyrese, etc have a chance to get infected.  In other words, by the time they entered the ward, the immune systems of the patients had already responded to the virus, and they were now just dealing with bacteria, which would be less infectious.  They could even explain that Hershel has previous immunity since he appears to be one of the oldest people (just like how the elderly were less likely to be affected by the recent swine flu because they had already lived through it once).

The problem is that to adequately explain it all this way, they would have to introduce a fully staffed epidemiological lab to ferret out the particulars.  In its absence, we are left with a vague infectious respiratory disease that responds to antibiotics, which is about all the explanation we are going to get.

Oh Shoot--my theory/suspension of disbelief defense for why only the zombie bites are deadly:  Zombies, being dead, have tons of horrible bacteria in their mouth from decay, and a single bite is eventually deadly, much in the same way that a komodo dragon's bite causes a deadly infection.  We know that everyone is infected with Walker disease, so the bites are just one way that hastens death.  That could adequately explain why being drenched in guts and blood doesn't seem to be toxic (or at least adequate enough in a fictional world with the living dead), but just one bite is deadly.   

My only really "huh?" moment for this episode was the barrel of rifles stored outside.  Have I been doing things wrong my whole life?

I sort of watched it this morning.

I was really hoping they might branch off in the whole Carol story.   But with the lame story line as of late and the appearance of the governor I almost suspect she will turn up as his prisoner or something.

Overall the series is turning into a major bust.

I sort of watched it this morning.

I was really hoping they might branch off in the whole Carol story.   But with the lame story line as of late and the appearance of the governor I almost suspect she will turn up as his prisoner or something.

Overall the series is turning into a major bust.

I'm with you, Mike. This season so far has been quite a letdown. Rick is wimping out. Getting rid of Carol? Com'n now. That's a little over the top for me. And won't Darryl have a little to say about Rick running his little squeeze away? 

Just a few of the many little irritants for me.

who knows if they will ever let us see Carol again??  About the only interesting part of this last episode was waiting to see Daryl's reaction.

I still wanna see Judith become a crawler and bite Carl's ankle.

The entire zombie shoot with Rick and Carl was lame as hell,  nothing believable about it.  But of course the entire premise of the show is believing in zombies, so nothing need be believable anyway I guess.

Rick is pretty much a dick, he would not be my boss.

Well, as long as even the detractors still care enough to watch it, I guess that's the bottom line demographic for the series' continued success.

I poo poo the details bout as much as anyone, but still generally wind up watching each episode twice.

- OS

Best episode so far.

I have never kept it a secret, until the last episode of last season, I didn't see the Gov as The Big Bad. He was a man who was coping the best he could with what life had dealt him. When Michonne came and killed his daughter a second time, it unhinged him even further. The last episode of last season, we saw a man snap.

The Gov in the comics was completely different, he was The Big Bad. 

I think a lot of folks have had a problem separating the two different characters.

This episode was brilliant.

I also loved taking the name Brian. 

Edited by Murgatroy

...I have never kept it a secret, until the last episode of last season, I didn't see the Gov as The Big Bad. He was a man who was coping the best he could with what life had dealt him. When Michonne came and killed his daughter a second time, it unhinged him even further. The last episode of last season, we saw a man snap.

He was plenty bad and cracked enough for me before Michonne offed his zed daughter. Killing the Army guys alone was unforgivable IMO.

edit; Oh, and what's the significance of "Brian", doesn't ring any bells?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

edit; Oh, and what's the significance of "Brian", doesn't ring any bells?

- OS

In the comics, Brian was the Gov. His brother was Philip. When Philip died, Brian took the name and used it as a alter ego. Penny was the Gov's niece, not daughter.

In the TV Series, Philip was the Gov with no mention of a brother.

Gov. appeared to have 'snapped' after the attack on the prison, even burning Woodbury.  Funny thing, no mention of Woodbury or the burning of in the first episode this season.

Gov. taken in by the small family.  He figured out soon, the women on the family had no clue what was really going on outside their apartment building.  Had no idea how to kill a Walker and that someone dies, not matter if bitten, they turn into a Walker.  There were no defensive measures at the apartment building.  Even the windows were not covered.  It's obvious, that area didn't endure a walker herd. 

I observed that until the Gov. took in the little girl as his own, he didn't care about anything.  Threw food away.  In the nursing home, made no real effort to kill Walkers despite they would be in the path of his retreat. 

Fell into his own Walker trap outside of Woodbury and re-united with past thug friends.  Doubtful the two lady friends he met will stay long if they show up again.  They had no survival skills and Gov. does not have the patience to train them.

Will Gov. re-instate his old command????

Gov. appeared to have 'snapped' after the attack on the prison, even burning Woodbury.  Funny thing, no mention of Woodbury or the burning of in the first episode this season.

Gov. taken in by the small family.  He figured out soon, the women on the family had no clue what was really going on outside their apartment building.  Had no idea how to kill a Walker and that someone dies, not matter if bitten, they turn into a Walker.  There were no defensive measures at the apartment building.  Even the windows were not covered.  It's obvious, that area didn't endure a walker herd. 

I observed that until the Gov. took in the little girl as his own, he didn't care about anything.  Threw food away.  In the nursing home, made no real effort to kill Walkers despite they would be in the path of his retreat. 

Fell into his own Walker trap outside of Woodbury and re-united with past thug friends.  Doubtful the two lady friends he met will stay long if they show up again.  They had no survival skills and Gov. does not have the patience to train them.

Will Gov. re-instate his old command????

Both of the women were in the background when the girl was pulled from the pit.

I only saw the one of his followers, I didn't see the other cat.

In the preview for next week the guy made it clear that he was in charge, and the Gov was not eligible to be in a decision making role. Not something surprising given the fate of the Gov's last command.

Watched the "Dead Weight" episode.  Gov. is now back in control.  Takes out Martinez and later Pete.  Martinez due to his knowledge of the Woodbury massacre after the failed attack on the prison.  Pete who attempts to be the groups leader is weak when under stress and has a moral compass, which the Gov. can't deal with.  Keeps Mitch and makes him the new henchman.  Of course, Mitch can operate the M-60 tank.

Early in the episode, Mitch, Pete, Martinez and Gov. go on supply run, find cabin with decapited corposes, "Liar, Murderer, Rapist", still trying to figure that one out.  Any ideas? 

Early in the episode, Mitch, Pete, Martinez and Gov. go on supply run, find cabin with decapited corposes, "Liar, Murderer, Rapist", still trying to figure that one out.  Any ideas? 

I think the survivalist made the mistake of trusting the two military guys, who lied that they were going to help him, raped his wife, and killed his family.  I think he put the Murderer sign on himself before committing suicide because either he felt that he murdered his family by letting in their killers, or because he murdered the other two guys.  Obviously, the keeping of the re-animated heads and his zombie family indicated he had a screw loose, just like the Governor.   I imagine the survivor's guilt would be especially strong for a guy who was supposed to have been a rugged survivalist living away from society whose family ends up dying because he didn't keep to the mantra of "Trust No One."

I think that the fact that the survivalist kept the decapitated heads and also kept his zombie family locked up, served as a validation to the governor that maybe he wasnt nuts.

Got to love his new pond zombie aquarium
- i guess no one will be playing at the old
Swimming hole any more!
  • Like 1