Halloween letter to parents.

DaveS

I know this didn't happen in Tennessee, but this lady plans on giving out these letters to children to take home to their parents. She will be giving the letters to children that she deems to be obese, instead of giving them candy. What would you do if your child brought a letter like this home?

Here's the story;  http://www.wkrn.com/story/23837455/woman-gives-letters-for-Halloween

Here's the letter:

d7f6787d-a829-4f79-aa98-6c9d94b9016d_zps

I'm not sure what I would do. Didn't neighborhoods used to have lynch mobs with torches, clubs, ropes and pitch forks? Remember the old horror movie? That's kind of what I envision for her on Halloween! Be off with her head maties!!! Rrrrrr

Thoughts?

DaveS

I think it is dumb as hell.

1) it won't do any good, is insulting, and ruins some kid's one day a year to eat the junk.

2) they make and sell sugar free candy by the ton.  Buy a bag of that and say something nice, how hard is THAT?

• Like 6

I think it is dumb as hell.

1) it won't do any good, is insulting, and ruins some kid's one day a year to eat the junk.

2) they make and sell sugar free candy by the ton.  Buy a bag of that and say something nice, how hard is THAT?

Let alone the fact that some children are obese because of health issues or hereditary. Why does everyone think obesity is caused from eating? In most cases it is, in many others it is not.

DaveS

Let alone the fact that some children are obese because of health issues or hereditary. Why does everyone think obesity is caused from eating? In most cases it is, in many others it is not.

DaveS

Well, here I will argue with you a little.   The medical conditions that cause a young person to become grossly fat are extremely rare.  The vast majority, more than 9/10 of em, are fat because of diet and exercise.   When people get older, that may be a lower % as medical conditions for older folks are more common, but we are talking 10 year olds here.    You can't tell me that the majority of these 200+ pound 10 year olds ALL have metabolism problems.  I would reword that to "in a FEW other cases, it is not".

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

Well, here I will argue with you a little.   The medical conditions that cause a young person to become grossly fat are extremely rare.  The vast majority, more than 9/10 of em, are fat because of diet and exercise.   When people get older, that may be a lower % as medical conditions for older folks are more common, but we are talking 10 year olds here.    You can't tell me that the majority of these 200+ pound 10 year olds ALL have metabolism problems.  I would reword that to "in a FEW other cases, it is not".

I can agree to that. But who are we or she to judge?

DaveS

Why not hand out fruit or protein bars instead of  making the kids feel bad in front of others.

Stupid woman...

That's what I want to know. If she's that concerned about the child's weight, give them something healthy instead of hurting that child's feelings. I don't think this is going to go well for that lady.

DaveS

I hope every family that receives that letter sues her on behalf of their children's "emotional damage". Make sure she cannot afford to give out candy or afford the paper for another letter.

This can cause long lasting emotional problems for a child.

Could you just imagine how that child would feel when 4 or 5 other children standing on the porch got candy and you got a letter to take home to your parents because someone "thinks" you're a little chunky?

Yeah, I agree with suing, for no other reason than to get her head out of her "blind spot".

DaveS

• Like 1

DaveS

I did not go there!  I observe, not judge, and what I have observed is that a lot of parents make a lot of excuses for their offspring while refusing to correct the problem because correcting the problem means they might have to actually MAKE dinner instead of picking up a 2500+ calorie burger or pizza. 

• Like 1
Heard this on the radio this morning. I'm not surprised in the least...after all, it's the society we live in today. I would be interested to see her level of fitness. Even still, she's ruining a fun night for children. Kind of like the dentists who hand out floss or buy back candy... Relax. My 3 year old gets a ton of exercise and has a toothbrush. It'll be ok.

Tp and fork the yard

Better yet would be for every, single kid who receives one of those letters to return them to her - scattered all over her yard.  Maybe with something like the following written at the bottom or on the back:

Dear Madame Superior Busybody, aka Wiked Witch,

Have you ever heard the phrase, "Mind your own business?"  Personally, I greatly prefer that phrase to the 'It takes a village' manure that you are spreading.  If one good thing has come of this incident, however, it is that our, particular 'village' has identified its village idiot - the same idiot who took it upon herself to warp what should have been a fun night of celebration into an attempt to bully children and their parents into conforming to her ideals.  At this time, I would like to take the opportunity to cordially invite you to shove your mean-spirited letter, your parenting 'advice' and your candy where the sun doesn't shine.

Thank You.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

You nailed this so far out of the ball park!!!! Very nicely said.

Now, I am always for minding your own f'n business....but I think sometimes that frame of mind might be hursting us more than helping. Some parents have NO and I mean NO!!! clue that you should be a parent and control your child's eating habits.

I only say this because I have two and one is one year old and in daycare. The other day I walked into daycare and saw another child, same age (roughly) as mine, eating a powdered doughnut. The day before that she was eating cheesepuffs. This child is overweight and barely one year old! This child also eats vienna sausages...really?

I have never been a beacon of health or really cared about what I eat but the minute I had a child I just knew in my gut and heart that a baby should not be eating cheesepuffs and krispycreams.

My point is also what has been stated. 9/10 fatties are fat because of what they are eating and how much if it. Usually the disease comes after they are already fat.

DaveS

We judge everyone all day long.

I spank my child in public, which causes no lasting harm to the child and the cops show up and arrest me and take my kid.

A parent feeds their child cookies, taco bell, burger king, slushies, doughnuts, chips, coke, candy and candy....then some more candy causing the kid to become fat and have diabetes or lasting health issues its entire life and we shouldn't judge?

Something just isn't right.

We judge everyone all day long.

I spank my child in public, which causes no lasting harm to the child and the cops show up and arrest me and take my kid.

A parent feeds their child cookies, taco bell, burger king, slushies, doughnuts, chips, coke, candy and candy....then some more candy causing the kid to become fat and have diabetes or lasting health issues its entire life and we shouldn't judge?

Something just isn't right.

In judging that yes. In judging why a kid standing on my porch is fat, and for me to judge whether this child gets candy or a note, is not for me, you or anyone else to judge. Treat everyone as an equal, the rest works itself out.

We as adults are suppose to be role models for all the little people who look up at us. When our children (even other kids) see us acting as such as this lady is, then all of a sudden it's ok to single out obese children and treat them differently than other kids. Why your child is skinny or fat is none of my concern. But I damn sure ain't going treat them differently than other kids in the neighborhood.

May we say that chunky little kid that you denied candy to, but give his friend some maybe getting bullied enough at school for being obese, that us adults shouldn't be doing it as well?

The problem in this country right now, is that we care very little about other people's feelings, just so long as OUR's feelings don't get hurt. This country would be a much better place to live, if we all just cared a little bit more about the next person.

That's why we shouldn't judge.

DaveS

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 2