What is up with .22lr????

Ok, months after the panic, why is it still unavailable??? Do idiots need 500,000 rounds in their cache?

I've wondered the same thing. I haven't bought any .22 in almost three years & I still have 99% of what I bought. The shortage on .22 never hit hard here. You can still walk into a GS & buy CCI Stingers for around $6.99 per /100. Bricks are about $30 last time I checked. 9mm, .40, & .45 are the ones we couldn't get for months. I don't know many guys that shoot .22, but my shop rarely runs short on it. I don't understand the obsessive behavior of a lot of shooters.

Here we go again. 

If you want to know why just go to a gunshow or look on Gunbroker, Armslist and all the other online places to sell stuff.  Idiots are buying and assholes are selling.

Frankly, I'm mighty tired of it.  This has been going on for over 10 months now.

• Like 6

Here we go again. 

If you want to know why just go to a gunshow or look on Gunbroker, Armslist and all the other online places to sell stuff.  Idiots are buying and assholes are selling.

Frankly, I'm mighty tired of it.  This has been going on for over 10 months now.

and tomorrow.

If folks really wanted to, they could fix it in Knoxville in the morning.  Refuse to buy it.

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 2

I bought a brick of .22 and several boxes of 9 mm, .380, 40 and 45 acp at reasonable prices this week in GA.  Each month if the prices are reasonable I buy more than I shoot, if not I don't buy it and shoot less.   

Edited by tnhawk

.22 is still the holy grail here in Florida. I've scored a few 350 round boxes the past few months but I've had to get there as they unloaded the truck. It never even hits the shelf.

.223 and 5.56 is getting better. Wal-mart is selling 150 round boxes of American Eagle 5.56 Green Tip for $75 after tax.

I bought a brick of .22 and several boxes of 9 mm, .380, 40 and 45 acp at reasonable prices this week in GA.  Each month if the prices are reasonable I buy more than I shoot, if not I don't buy it and shoot less.   

I made another visit to Bud's Gun Shop on my way through Lexington last week & picked up some Geco 9mm match ammo for $14/ per 50. The cheapest I've seen around here is over $20 per/50. I also picked up some Sellier & Bellot .357sig cheap. Why can't (or won't) local shops come close to these prices?

My (manchester) wal-mart is a bit different. We get trucks almost everyday. Yet can't get it all unloaded until 7-8 pm. Sometimes later than that. They'll put the ammo out on the shelf as soon as it comes in but lately, some of the sporting goods guys have decided with christmas coming, they'll wait until morning to stock it( especially if it is .22lr). Cause people will call everyday asking for the ammo and we really don't know if it is on the truck until it is unloaded. Had one time we thought we were getting .22 in and Nope, nada, not on this truck. Yet there was a line about 10 deep of people wanting to buy the darn stuff. So now we don't tell anyone what we are getting in advance. I really think there ought to be a 1 box( yeah 1 box) limit on the .22lr. All other calibers there are plenty of 2 box limit. Because one guy will come in, get his 2 boxes, bring his wife and his friends and clean out all the .22, and then there is still going to be those who want to shoot but cant.  It especially irks me when a grandfather comes in and says he can't take his grandkids shooting because of the Hoarders/Gougers have gotten all the .22lr.

If it gets any worse, I say get a BB/pellet gun and not worry about it.

• Like 1
I am going to sell my 22 rifle and all of my ammo. Haven`t seen 22LR around here in I don`t know how long that wasn`t overpriced, even when I could find it. I`m not going to get up early in the morning to stand in line behind those with inside connections at some of the big box stores. It isn`t worth it.

Bought a nice pellet rifle a few months back and have been enjoying a lot of backyard fun! :)Neighbors haven`t complained and the rifle is quiet. Have killed many a tin can with it. Have knocked down a few yard pests with it also. No longer need to drive to a range to have fun. "Ammo" is always available and I can shoot for much less than what 22LR ammo costs. Wish I had done this years ago. Edited by TN Volunteer
  • Like 3
I watch http://gun-deals.com/ and http://www.slickguns.com/today for deals with 22lr. Since my kids love shooting my 22lr pistol and rifle, when we go to the range they can easily go through 300-500 rounds. As a result, I continued to buy up till I had about 3000 rounds (6-8 range trips) sitting around. Every now and then Midway USA or some other site will have boxes of 300+ rounds for sale with a limit of 3-5 boxes making the shipping costs reasonable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm trying to figure out why people are still paying inflated prices, do they really need it. Not to mention people that hang out at Walmart everyday and buy the max they can buy. I have't bought any .22 ammo in 8 or 9 months and still have plenty left. I figured things would be settled back down by now but looks like it's just as bad and no relief in sight. My .45 supply is started running a little low so I've just stopped shooting it for now. I think I paid $13 for 50 rounds last time I bought .45 ACP and I'm guessing it's high as a cat's back now. I called wally world today and asked if they had any .45 and they guy said all he had was .223 for $19 for 20 rounds.............really? Looks like wally world is now in the gouging game.

I'm trying to figure out why people are still paying inflated prices, do they really need it. Not to mention people that hang out at Walmart everyday and buy the max they can buy. I have't bought any .22 ammo in 8 or 9 months and still have plenty left. I figured things would be settled back down by now but looks like it's just as bad and no relief in sight. My .45 supply is started running a little low so I've just stopped shooting it for now. I think I paid $13 for 50 rounds last time I bought .45 ACP and I'm guessing it's high as a cat's back now. I called wally world today and asked if they had any .45 and they guy said all he had was .223 for $19 for 20 rounds.............really? Looks like wally world is now in the gouging game.

It actually depends on the type of ammo they( wal-mart) has for sale. I know the match grade ammo goes for around $33 a box of 20. And I have seen ammo as low as $6 for a box of 20 all in .223. I'm afraid we will never see the low low prices of ammo as in the past. But it isn't wal-marts fault. They have a contract to buy so much ammo from their supplier and have to sell it at a certian rate. Depending on the type and brand of ammo, you could see a drop or rise in prices.

Well, the 22 rifle and ammo is gone. That didn`t take long! LOL! Do I have any regrets, no. None. With the air rifle, I don`t have to worry about distance issues in the backyard if I miss the target and I have enough knockdown power to bend 1/8" steel from repeated hits. Neighbors don`t mind, the law hasn`t shown up, and I can plink off of my back porch. Life is good!

Off to take my proceeds from the sale and buy more pellets! For the caliber I am using, accuracy is good and is great for varmint control. It drops `em on the spot for the most part. If not, maybe they go 2 feet or so before DRT. I have a bad habit of hitting those suckers in the head...even when I aim for their mid section. Still trying to figure that one out......

More folks ought to try air guns out. Many would be impressed by the potential capability of what is out there. What is available nowadays isn`t a toy. My main air rifle weighs in at about 10 LB`s..... as much as an M1 Garand. I love the weight. An air rifle can have the capability in accuracy to impress even the most of the skeptics. Those here using them, already know this. They are probably even smiling reading my post. They know that accuracy can be quite good with air guns and they also know that "ammo" availability is plentiful even in political madness. Hmmmmmm....something to think about `eh?

Ask yourself this question. Why did you get into 22? I would hedge a bet to say that MOST people did it because it was cheap to shoot. Am I right?

Forget the 22 craze and hysteria. I`m over it. Edited by TN Volunteer