Knoxville gun show negligent discharge

Guest TankerHC

Whether they are "legal" or not, I have never seen statutorily compliant signage at a TN gun show. Never. Not once.

Ah,so that really wasn't your point. "now this" had nothing to do with carry.

What was the Kimber incident? Was it at a gunshow? Person carry it in there under a permit?

- OS

The whole point is if the dumbass had obeyed the signs & if the staff properly checked the firearms coming in there would have been no ND, plain & simple! Crap like this is what's giving the antis exactly what they want.

It’s laughable that the anti’s had something to do with this. How many loaded guns do you think they had to pass off before they found someone stupid enough to pull the trigger on an unchecked gun? Or were the anti’s people running around pulling the trigger on every gun they could get their hands on?

No, I think it’s more likely some dumb azz just picked up a gun and pulled the trigger.

We have to Police ourselves. It’s ridiculous to think that professional people at gun shows are allowing people to pick up guns and start sweeping the crowd. (I have never seen that at a gun show) That shouldn’t be tolerated; that should be followed by “Give me that gun back and get away from my table”. A kid big enough to pick up a scoped rifle should know better and if his dad gets all butt hurt about being dressed down in front of his kid; he needs to be shown the door.
  • Like 1

I am just glad we didn't go.. I bought all the socks I need to last me a lifetime  at the last Gun show.

And someone mentioned getting swept with a muzzle.. I walked by someone checking out a gun at the front entrance by some private guy who was selling it. It was pointed right at my chest. I put my hand and moved it downward. The dude just gave me the evil eye. .I hate getting  muzzles pointed at me. Especially when someone is pulling the trigger and pointing it at me.I was gonna say something  but I think he got the message

Some people do not think ...and it costs people lifes

Throw blame around however you like, but the only blame I see is the idiot that picked up the gun and pulled the trigger. If it wasn’t for him the others mistakes would not have mattered.

People whine if guns get checked at the door and whine if they don’t; but the reason for it is obvious.

I mostly agree with this position. The gun didn't NG in the hands of anyone else that handled it. I'm not saying the others didn't screw up too, just that they aren't the ones that fired a loaded gun.

yhe one it scared the most was the lady I the bathroom .she got bombarded with drywall

I caught a guy stealing 2 cases of primers this morning .

happy to hear you caught him! Hope he was arrested and charges were pressed.

I am just glad we didn't go.. I bought all the socks I need to last me a lifetime  at the last Gun show.

And someone mentioned getting swept with a muzzle.. I walked by someone checking out a gun at the front entrance by some private guy who was selling it. It was pointed right at my chest. I put my hand and moved it downward. The dude just gave me the evil eye. .I hate getting  muzzles pointed at me. Especially when someone is pulling the trigger and pointing it at me.I was gonna say something  but I think he got the message
Some people do not think ...and it costs people lifes

but I missed you
there were 3 rounds in the tube it was checked and tied by a Knoxville policeman at the front door
even when it went off it was tied.the person that had the gun wasn't the table holder so he didn't sign the hold harmless paper before setting up good no one was hurt .this was the5 ad at a show for me this yead
Guest Bassman17SC

+1,000...sounds like a lot of dumbassery going around!

Agreed.  And this type of thing is why I DO NOT attend gun shows.  Never have; never will.  Too much idiocy.

Edited by Bassman17SC

but I missed you
there were 3 rounds in the tube it was checked and tied by a Knoxville policeman at the front door
even when it went off it was tied.the person that had the gun wasn't the table holder so he didn't sign the hold harmless paper before setting up good no one was hurt .this was the5 ad at a show for me this yead

but I missed you

awwwhhh..sorry we didn't come see you .maybe next time..With all the ND`s.. not sure I want to go anymore tho

I am just wondering how many of the parking lot vultures handled that gun before it ever made it into the show. It is kind of amazing it did not go off while the guy was standing in line for 15-30 minutes waiting to get in. I would like to know how many loaded guns at an average show the cops find when checking them in.
  • Moderators

Yes, all kinds of safety rules were violated but you know what, there are 3 or 4 KPD officers at every show checking guns as you walk in the door.  It never should have happened, regardless of people's carelessness.

This is something I thought about heavily. Obviously, some of the blame goes to the person that pulled the trigger. However, (advocate here) that may have very well been the very first firearm that person had ever touched in their life without any training or safety instructions ever. They say all the signs "guaranteeing" that all bones beyond that point were unloaded. Obviously, some of the blame goes to the vender (should have checked it). However, what about the officers whose job was to inspect and clear each firearm before "zipping" it? Sure, I get it. It gets very boring inspecting gun after gun for several hours. However, someone could have been killed. If it gets boring, they should have a system in which you rotate in and out, allowing officers to take breaks and allow a 'fresh brain" to process the firearms.

It is, admittedly, also possible that the firearm of interest (mores the person carrying it) entered into the room via the open bay day that vendors were using to bring all their stuff in that morning. It appeared to me that some vendors were simply going and taking handfuls of the zip ties from the officers, and then going back to their tables to do the clearing and securing themselves. It is entirely possible that the firearm of interest bypassed the official checkpoint altogether.

I just heard rumors and whatnot, but I don't know for sure how the firearm ended up on the table. I just think more should be done educating and warning gun show participants that the firearms may be loaded and to ask for help if needed. Someone who has never handled a firearm in their life may not see how a .22lr tube fed rifle feeds and assume that it cannot be loaded because there isn't a magazine sticking out below. 

It is, admittedly, also possible that the firearm of interest (mores the person carrying it) entered into the room via the open bay day that vendors were using to bring all their stuff in that morning. It appeared to me that some vendors were simply going and taking handfuls of the zip ties from the officers, and then going back to their tables to do the clearing and securing themselves. It is entirely possible that the firearm of interest bypassed the official checkpoint altogether.

Vendors bring stuff in friday night most of the time. A few low volumes may show up saturday morning, but those doors get closed about 845 before the show starts. And yes, vendors clear their own guns. We just go grab a couple of bags of zip ties and do all of our own friday night. They do walk throughs through out the day to make sure our guns are zip tied.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Years ago I had a table at the Houston Gun Collectors show.  Somebody lit off a round in the next row of tables and he was immediately surrounded by cops and show officials.  Turns out it was a vendor who had just traded for a bolt-action rifle and he wanted to see if it fed ammo smoothly. 

If gun shows want to put signs every 10 feet that's their business.  But there should be at least one hanging over the entrance with big, bold letters:  "YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!"

• Like 1
This year at the Franklin Ag center show, at the height of " all guns are worth gold in panic attacks"... Some idiot shot an AK47 into his trunk, and got in his car and drove off. He bailed before he even got to the point of getting in line. Once we were in line, the guy right in front of us checked his "trade bait" revolver in at the desk. To all of our surprise, his .44 magnum was fully loaded. I'm done with gun shows. It's all over priced and the people there muzzle sweep and "click" triggers WAY too much. It's too nerve wracking.

Every show I have ever been to they check our guns at the door to make sure they are not loaded. Sounds like someone dropped the ball at that show and could have cost someone their life.  If I pick up a gun on a table to look at , first thing I do is check and make sure it is not loaded. Just a habit I got into many years ago and still do today. Only someone with a few brain cells not working would just pick up a gun off a table and pull the trigger. Maybe a person that would do that does not need to own a gun...........jmho

I do this every time I pick up a gun. I do this in my own house when I get a gun out of my safe. I do it at my dad's when I get a gun from his safe. And he does the same thing. I do it when a dealer hands me a gun that i just watched him check.

It's an instinctive thing. Do it. Don't take any chances.
  • Like 1