Shotguns for weak people: what gauge?

ohbehave

I was thinking more about firearms that my girlfriend could use without getting terribly intimidated.

In particular, shotgun type firearms.

At first, I was thinking I'd get a 20 gauge.... but what about a 12 gauge with lighter loads?

Don't want a huge menagerie of firearms all over the place... I like to keep it simple.   If I could just go with one gauge, that would be best.

*complete newb with regard to shotguns and shotgun shells*

Got my eye on a mossberg 590a1

You might want to let her handle the 590A1.  I have one I'm probably going to sell because it's just too long and heavy for my wife to handle.  I'm looking at picking up a Mossberg Bantam or Super Bantam in 20GA so I'll have something she can use.

The big disadvantage to 20 over 12 is ammo.  There's a huge variety of 12ga ammo out there, not so much in 20.  And yes, there is an argument to be made that reduced recoil 12 is no worse than 20, but if at all possible you should try firing both and see what you think.

• Like 1

Just depends on how sensitive your wife is to the weight, noise, and recoil.  If you think she's pretty intimidated and/or apprehensive, I'd start with a .410.  If she likes that, move up to a 20ga, then perhaps move up to a 12ga.  I'm assuming you're talking about skeet, trap, or sporting clays. It is true that .410 and 20ga are harder to find, but you should be able to order target loads for most anything.

410 is the smallest, but it is also very expensive per shot.  20 is much more reasonable and is quite mild.   A 20 auto will be even more gentle, and with a recoil pad like a slip on limbsaver type, it would be suitable for most adults and probably suitable for the majority of people over age 10 or more than 4 foot tall.

12 can be made reasonable.  An auto loader with a good recoil pad and mild loads can be a good setup but you may have to tinker with the gun a lot to get it to cycle on the mild loads.  This is not the best option but it can be done. 

A break action or pump is going to have more recoil (slightly in some cases, more in others, depends) as the auto uses some of the energy to cycle and push on springs etc.   But a break open 12 can shoot any type of ammo, without jams, so light 12s work.   A pump also does not care about the ammo potency to function but a non-shooter may find the action intimidating or annoying to use. 

So, a pump or break open in any gauge or a 20 auto seem to bubble up as your top choices... 

Edited by Jonnin

Try out a used Remington 1100 in 12GA for $250-350.  It is probably one of the lightest shooting semi's out there.

Next, the Cowboys use Winchester Low Recoil #8 shot shells. I believe they're 7/8 ounce with the light powder charge. 

That cuts the recoil way down. 

Next buy her a shoulder pad. It's a round the body strap on she can put on under her shirt. 

Try and all she will have left to deal with is the noisy bang!

Hope this helps.

Lp

Edited by Lowpower
  • Like 1

the cowboy action guys shoot that stuff in a double barrel that can't jam.  My 1100 works with some lower recoil shells, not sure about that specific type, but to get it to work on the weak stuff I had to have the gas holes bored out a couple of sizes bigger  --- until I did this, it would not cycle.   Once you do that, full power loads are harder on the gun and the shooter...   it works but you may want to get a second barrel for it, one for low recoil and one for stout loads, if you want the gun for multiple purposes. 

Edited by Jonnin

I've had real good luck with many different people in your situation by getting either an 870 or 500/590 and adding a Blackhawk Knoxx Spec-ops stock. The PG makes handling much easier and the adjustable stock lets smaller people get a better more comfortable feel on the gun. Knoxx claims the stock reduces felt recoil by 85%. It takes the kick out and changes it to more of a push. Kind makes the 12g feel like a 20g. The 870 is better with the Knoxx stock because the controls are placed better for a PG setup.

The other option is to find a Saiga 12 or 20 as they soak up recoil in the same way the Knoxx stock does. Plus you can get a 20 rnd drum!  :up:

Like Jonnin said, a break action or pump will have more recoil because the action doesn't take up any - it is all transfered back to the shooter. But in general, the less gun there is, the more recoil also. And for a smaller person who needs a shorter, lighter gun, you are going to have to expect that. For example, a youth model Rossi in .410 may be more manageable size wise, but may have more perceived recoil that a full sized .12 ga because there is so much less mass there.

The best way to find out what's going to work is have her handle as many as possible, probably in a store, to see what fits. Then see if you can hook up with someone that has something similar so she can try it live. It would be a shame to buy something because it felt right, then she never wants to shoot it because it kicks too bad.

The main question folks here have failed to ask is why do you want to buy her the gun? Is it for recreational shooting or self defense. Knowing that might help with folks offering up  more accurate solutions. Recreational shooting you can start with a 20 gauge semi auto and have the stock adjusted by cutting down a little if needed and adding a good quality recoil pad or even step up and buy a Hydro-coil butt plate for recreational shooting. If your looking for a self defense weapon again you might look at a semi auto 20 gauge with custom fit and good recoil pad. But also you won't need to worry as much about recoil because with her adrenal pumping from fear she will not even feel the recoil of the gun and she won't have to worry about reloading until she has gone through the 6 rounds that the gun will hold once the wooden plug is removed. Also you can buy an extra barrel for a semi auto and for recreational shooting use a 28 inch modified choke and for house defense you can install an 18 inch improved cylinder barrel with great scatter capabilities covering a greater area. You can have 1 gun that covers both issues and you can by 00 Buck for 20 gauge shotguns or any other size shot. Right now 20 gauge ammo is still fairly accessible...........................jmho   

Like Jonnin said, a break action or pump will have more recoil because the action doesn't take up any - it is all transfered back to the shooter. But in general, the less gun there is, the more recoil also. And for a smaller person who needs a shorter, lighter gun, you are going to have to expect that. For example, a youth model Rossi in .410 may be more manageable size wise, but may have more perceived recoil that a full sized .12 ga because there is so much less mass there.

The best way to find out what's going to work is have her handle as many as possible, probably in a store, to see what fits. Then see if you can hook up with someone that has something similar so she can try it live. It would be a shame to buy something because it felt right, then she never wants to shoot it because it kicks too bad.

Even the long 410 is not much more impressive than a big pistol round -- in a long gun, even a lightweight one, its still weaker than 20ga.  Ive shot it out of a pistol and its weaker than a 44 mag.  And a 44 in a long gun is not much more impressive than a 223. 

Edited by Jonnin

I'd suggest you go with the 410. Compared to other purchases in life, shotguns are cheap and easily re-sellable.  Get her a 410. Get the lightest load and let her get accustomed to shooting it. It's more important that she enjoy shooting and become a lifetime enthusiast/gun owner than getting the absolute best recoil to kill ratio weapon.  I've been married 39 years. Don't screw this up. Get her the lightest impact possible. When she adapts, move up. Post your 410 here when she gets tired of it. Unless you totally overpay, you should be able to get within $50 to $75 of what you paid for it.

Do NOT try to optimise firepower for a spouse. She will just wind up hating shooting. Start with what she will find comfortable and then move up when she is comfortable.

We have a Rossi 410 Circuit Judge tactical stock in the bedroom with a laser sight. The drill is 1. Turn on the laser. 2. Put dot on bad guy. 3. Pull trigger. 4. Repeat as necessary. Yeah, I agree that it's not ideal, but three 36 caliber balls at 1100 feet per second should do a decent job of discouraging a bad guy from continuing to do whatever he was planning to do. If not, that's what step 4 is for.  :cool:

Edited by jgradyc

One minor thing about .410's...ammo is very expensive. 

On other thing about the circuit judge. Keep yer forearm hand away from the front of cylinder. I don't know of any revolver 

that doesn't throw some lead off the forcing cone from time to time (shield or no shield) and if it is for protection from zombies then you want 

the lead making them smart, not you.

Lp

• Like 1

One minor thing about .410's...ammo is very expensive. 

On other thing about the circuit judge. Keep yer forearm hand away from the front of cylinder. I don't know of any revolver 

that doesn't throw some lead off the forcing cone from time to time (shield or no shield) and if it is for protection from zombies then you want 

the lead making them smart, not you.

Lp

This. :up:

I've had real good luck with many different people in your situation by getting either an 870 or 500/590 and adding a Blackhawk Knoxx Spec-ops stock. The PG makes handling much easier and the adjustable stock lets smaller people get a better more comfortable feel on the gun. Knoxx claims the stock reduces felt recoil by 85%. It takes the kick out and changes it to more of a push. Kind makes the 12g feel like a 20g. The 870 is better with the Knoxx stock because the controls are placed better for a PG setup.

The other option is to find a Saiga 12 or 20 as they soak up recoil in the same way the Knoxx stock does. Plus you can get a 20 rnd drum!  :up:

I'd suggest the Knoxx stock as well. You wont have to stock another caliber, which you don't want and your girlfriend would be able to shoot 12 gauge without being terrified of the recoil. Then again if you are rich and want to spoil her buy her a Bennelli.