9mm carry ammo

Got a few hundred rounds of Hornady 147gr XTP ammo for a good price. Ran a bunch through each gun without issue, so that's what I use for now.

Maybe in a year or two, or when I find a good deal on a poop-load of some other defensive ammo, I'll move on to something else.
I prefer 124 grain Gold Dots, but I would be just fine with 115gr of any reputable hollow point. I am hesitant to try 147 grain anything, frequent feeding issues and too much of a chance to not have enough velocity to expand.

Winchester Ranger SXT's for me, in the 127-grain +P+ variety.

oh yeah..."the same xact thing" as their often called in reference to the old black talons....if and thats a big if I ever run out of 9bple I would checking these out...

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

I have read some reports of seperation and fragmenting during testings. Honestly, that doesn't scare me at all. The last I heard was that THP was using the Golden Sabers.

THP has been shooting the full size Glock in 357 Auto for some time now, and not 9mm. Have they made a switch or added something?

They are a generation or two behind and people tend to dog on them because they aren't the latest and greatest. They have a pretty good street reputation though.

I doubt there's anything better out there. Maybe Gold Dots. I still load only Golden Sabers until that big box empties out. They are damned near

impossible to find for reloading. I just have a box or two of the factory ammo in 9mm. 124 and 147.

There will always be a newer, better, kryptonite bullet out there every year, won't there? :D

Guest Lester Weevils

There will always be a newer, better, kryptonite bullet out there every year, won't there? :D

Maybe somebody will make 1000gn 9mm depleted uranium bullets. The 147gn size would only fit in .22lr or .25 auto. :)

Maybe somebody will make 1000gn 9mm depleted uranium bullets. The 147gn size would only fit in .22lr or .25 auto. :)

On a sort-of related note, I had a genius idea yesterday...

Remember the story of the radioactive waste that was stolen in Mexico?  Here's what we should do...

Irradiate a couple crates of milsurp AK's.  Package them in discretely lead lined wood crates.  Leave them laying around where it might be stolen and delivered to our enemies.  When they open the crate and distribute them amongst themselves.... the problem will solve itself.

On a sort-of related note, I had a genius idea yesterday...

Remember the story of the radioactive waste that was stolen in Mexico?  Here's what we should do...

Irradiate a couple crates of milsurp AK's.  Package them in discretely lead lined wood crates.  Leave them laying around where it might be stolen and delivered to our enemies.  When they open the crate and distribute them amongst themselves.... the problem will solve itself.

There's an old urban legend that the CIA load 7,62x39 ammo with a high explosive like RDX or Composition 4 and let it find its way to the enemy in Vietnam Nam. I have NO source to substantiate that but its a rather comical idea. Haji go boom!
Back on topic; I currently carry Winchester Ranger T 124g +p+. I use that because a good friend gave me a couple boxes. 'Bout twice a year I'll shoot the magazine empty and replace them. When they're gone I will go back to carrying a good proven cast boolit of my own making. I have a good 135g mold with a nice meplat. Large meplats work every bit as well as a fancy whizz bang holler point. I'll bet you they'll penetrant better too. Edited by Caster
  • Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

I carry 124gn XTP HP, though the "experts" say it isn't so great. I also loaded up 1000 "velocity clones" of the XTP factory ammo, using 124 gn XTP bullets and silhouette powder, so when the comet hits and the world falls into anarchy, I'll have plenty of "the same thing" regardless whether it is or is not "deadly enough".