Virtual gun range in Brentwood

First I've heard about QuickDraw Nashville.

Newly opened by a former Navy Reservist, QuickDraw Nashville is an indoor virtual gun range where civilians and law enforcement can train on virtual firearm training simulators, manufactured by Meggitt Training Systems, just like the ones law enforcement organizations around the country use to train.

With 380 different scenarios from terrorists on an airplane to gunmen in a mall, and even zombies – and and 4,500 different outcomes of those scenarios – shooters can train to learn how to better defend themselves and take out the bad guys without harming innocent bystanders, expending ammunition or wearing heavy protection.

“It is very realistic,” says a local law enforcement officer who has used the simulators. “It puts you in those scenarios and it makes you think about things you wouldn’t ordinarily think about because of your adrenaline, not having had that experience or been in that scenario. You can talk about it and figure out what you would do differently in shoot/don’t shoot situations.”

QuickDraw has three simulation rooms available for 30-minute sessions, outfitted with modified handguns, M-16s and a 12-gauge shotgun.

Thirty-minute sessions will run $20, with target-practice only sessions at $20 per hour.

Rates for memberships and organization team-building events are also available.

Practice at QuickDraw and Save Your Ammo!

http://www.nashville.com/news/nashville-business-news/virtual-gun-range-in-brentwood-attracting-all-types-of-customers

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Had not heard of them before this so I called and spoke with Dave. He was very helpful in explaining what they have, the types of guns and hours. I wanted to know if they had gift certificates and he advised yes they did. I am going to go today and check them out. This sounds like a great gift ideal for my two boys.

hmm.. flipped through some pics on their facebook page.    If they are not training/teaching/requiring strict muzzle discipline in their training center, I cannot see how this is a positive thing for the community - specifically young kids and those new to firearms.

Realistic firearms, realistic scenarios.. "kids'-in-their-living-room-video-game mind-set".  I hope nothing but the best for the owners in their lives, but I would need to be convinced to appreciate the application of this technology in the concept as it appears.

The good news about capitalism and freedom:  We can do what we like.

The bad news:  Sometimes we like things that are not good for us.

not meaning to be a party pooper.

hmm.. flipped through some pics on their facebook page.    If they are not training/teaching/requiring strict muzzle discipline in their training center, I cannot see how this is a positive thing for the community - specifically young kids and those new to firearms.

Realistic firearms, realistic scenarios.. "kids'-in-their-living-room-video-game mind-set".  I hope nothing but the best for the owners in their lives, but I would need to be convinced to appreciate the application of this technology in the concept as it appears.

The good news about capitalism and freedom:  We can do what we like.
The bad news:  Sometimes we like things that are not good for us.

not meaning to be a party pooper.

confused.gif
Although gun safety could be added to the scenarios by those taking it seriously; It’s a shoot/don’t shoot simulator. It is as good a tool as the person using it.

I didn’t see anything on their FB page that showed they don’t have any disciplines; but it’s just a video trainer.

I have used trainers and they are great; but they are just another tool to gain experience. There is no fear or adrenalin.

Any exposure to training and those knowledgeable in firearms will be a good thing for young people and the community.

Gotta love the picture of the woman holding the sim pistol.. Finger all over the trigger and not even thinking about taking aim. IMHO great for folks with basic knowledge in handling, safety and control but bad for folks like the woman (or the rest of us) pictured if she has a permit and handles a real loaded firearm that same way. Looks like fun though.

Here she is,

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=250510645102294&set=pb.231585080328184.-2207520000.1385875409.&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Fscontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net%2Fhphotos-prn1%2F64997_250510645102294_367576795_n.jpg&size=960%2C720

Edited by Luke E.
Thank you, Luke.  Again, I'm all for it as a training aid, and I'm sure it is a ton of fun.  If it is for simulating firearm use, it ought require the same discipline (4 rules) as a live range.   Practice makes permanent.   Edited by Peace

Simulators of this type are fun and can  be beneficial.   But it is not firearms training; it is shoot/no shoot discretion training.  Even in that regard, it only works well if there is someone there who knows what they are doing and can properly debrief each scenario.  Otherwise, it is a big video game that is fun.

• Like 1
I have reviewed their website and FB page, and IMO this would be the same as an Nintendo game. What kids need to learn is when you do something like shoot someone or something it is permanent not just press reset and everything goes back to normal. Death is final on this earth not a game. Before starting a kid or for that matter an adult safety training should be first. The reality of pulling the trigger and on and on. When I was a kid they had toy games in a smaller scale like this, we also had targets at carnivals using 22 rifles. It's time we pull our kids away from games and TV and get them outside for sports,hunting and fishing.

I know my statements are going to get a lot of flack, but this is my feeling and belief. Sorry if I offend anyone.

Sure thing. whether or not I would let my kids think of it as a game would depend on how realistic the "firearms" were. Heck, I don't even like them to point toys at people, so if that's weird, so be it.

Come to think of it, I don't play first-person shooter games either. I must be old school. That scenario is serious business. It's not wrong to be prepared, but I don't think human-on-human violence is ever a game - simulated or otherwise. :). I would be of the opinion that young kids don't need shoot/no shoot human target training!!

This is in no way meant to reflect on this particular place of business. I have no idea how they operate - they are most likely on the up-and-up with everything.

Edited by Peace

I am a EST (engagement skills trainer) operator for my reserve unit, did the same thing for my active unit.  Some of the electronic trainers,like the EST are amazing teaching tools, but they should be used with the same general rules as a live weapon.

I cant say about this system, but on an EST i can show an individual shooter everything the weapon is doing during the shooting process.  When paired with a decent coach it is one of the better ways of identifying shooter deficiencies and without the ammo expenditure to boot.

Electronic shoot don't shoot training is great, practicing with blanks/simmunitions using large groups of role players may be better, but it is not as cost effective.

The systems are only games if they are treated that way, when used how they are designed they are nearly as effective as live fire training and in some cases even more effective.

• Like 3
  • Administrator

I know my statements are going to get a lot of flack, but this is my feeling and belief. Sorry if I offend anyone.

I really wish people wouldn't apologize for stating their opinion.  Say what you mean and mean what you say.  If you apologize at the end of your statement, you've given the reader no reason not to discount what you just wrote.

This is in no way meant to reflect on this particular place of business. I have no idea how they operate - they are most likely on the up-and-up with everything.

But if you have no idea how they operate, how can you make the statement that they are most likely on the up and up?  C'mon people... see previous comment.

I am a EST (engagement skills trainer) operator for my reserve unit, did the same thing for my active unit.  Some of the electronic trainers,like the EST are amazing teaching tools, but they should be used with the same general rules as a live weapon.

I cant say about this system, but on an EST i can show an individual shooter everything the weapon is doing during the shooting process.  When paired with a decent coach it is one of the better ways of identifying shooter deficiencies and without the ammo expenditure to boot.

Electronic shoot don't shoot training is great, practicing with blanks/simmunitions using large groups of role players may be better, but it is not as cost effective.

The systems are only games if they are treated that way, when used how they are designed they are nearly as effective as live fire training and in some cases even more effective.

I had the privilege of using an AEGIS trainer a few years back and found it to be extremely valuable as a training aid.  Of course, it shot back at you and the shots hurt... which is where the value came in.  You learn quickly if you're using cover appropriately or not when your knee gets zapped with an 18mm projectile.

My parents do this all the time. They make a date out of it. My dad, who was an LEO for three and a half decades said it is a good scenario trainer, as well as fun. I doubt it will result in people doing stupid stuff. They seem to be able to do that on their own without the benefit of a virtual trainer.

I really wish people wouldn't apologize for stating their opinion.  Say what you mean and mean what you say.  If you apologize at the end of your statement, you've given the reader no reason not to discount what you just wrote.

You Got it David, No more apologizing, I'll just voice my opinion and let the chips fall where they may. ;)

Edited by joe45

I had the privilege of using an AEGIS trainer a few years back and found it to be extremely valuable as a training aid.  Of course, it shot back at you and the shots hurt... which is where the value came in.  You learn quickly if you're using cover appropriately or not when your knee gets zapped with an 18mm projectile.

Things have sure come a long way from when I was a LEO. I went through red-handled gun training in 1988 where we shot, and got shot, by revolvers loaded with magnum-primed cases that were stuffed with cotton. As innocuous as that sounds it leaves a heck of a welt when you're within a few feet of the barrel. This program's goal was to teach the officer to progress through the stages of fight-or-flight syndrome, and go directly to reacting to a gun being presented. You were going to get shot up close about every time.