What kind of tree is this wood from ?

tercel89

This wood is a lot more yellow/orange than it seems in this picture. It is like a Flouresent yellow/orange in person. It is from a tree that was cut down back in 1989 . This peice came from the dead roots that we dug up this week. Even though it has been dead and buried underground for over 24 years , it still is strong as fresh Oak . What kind of tree does this wood look like it is from ? I have an idea but I just want your guys opinions. The tree was way over 80 feet tall back back before it fell in 1989 and was about 4 feet thick at the trunk. It was a huge tree. Any help on identifying the wood is appreciated. I have a bunch of its roots and I'm amazed at how well preserved they are . I may try to make something small or useful out the roots . It was my Grandaddys tree. Keep in mind that like I said , this wood is extremely bright and yellowish orange in person . 

[URL=http://s768.photobucket.com/user/tercel89/media/yellowwood_zpsf9b90c9e.jpg.html]yellowwood_zpsf9b90c9e.jpg[/URL]

Hey thanks guys . This is exactly what I was thinking it was (Osage Orange) or at least the slang name for it . I just dont remember the big ball "fruit" things on it when it was alive . But yes I was thinking with that color it had to be it. I have built 2 different homemade bows and both were from Oak but some guys that were with me built theirs from Osage Orange . I remember how bright that wood was . I may try and make a few ole style sling-shots for my girl and boy from these roots and some other trinkits and such . I just cant get over how preserved it is and how it looks like it is still alive and had not rotted. I did read that is is very rot-resistant and boy it sure is . 

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

The color may fade with time and light exposure.  Dad made several bowls from osage orange and while they were bright orange when he made them, several years later they've faded noticeably. 

Just curious (in case I ever get ahold of any osage orange in the future)-- Did he finish em with some sort of oil, leave em unfinished, or slather on something real air-tight such as polyurethane?

Merely wondering if the fading is "documented" if the wood is sealed air-tight. I'd heard that the bright red flames on box elder will fade, but the pieces I first finished a year ago are still bright under multiple coats of oil-based floor poly, though that's no guarantee they won't fade in the future. Fingers crossed...

Good luck working it. Its hell on lathe tools, saw blades and sanding belts. Awesome stuff and super strong once you get it worked though Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Seems to be right in the middle of possible wood hardness on the Janka scale. That said, it seems to be harder than any other North American wood that I've ever heard of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test

- OS

Good luck working it. Its hell on lathe tools, saw blades and sanding belts. Awesome stuff and super strong once you get it worked though

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Absolute truth.

I made over a dozen mold mallets from oak, hickory, ash (an old ball bat) and a peice of locust. None lasted long. I turned a mallet from bodock on a metal lathe and have been using it for three years with very little wear.

Just curious (in case I ever get ahold of any osage orange in the future)-- Did he finish em with some sort of oil, leave em unfinished, or slather on something real air-tight such as polyurethane?

Merely wondering if the fading is "documented" if the wood is sealed air-tight. I'd heard that the bright red flames on box elder will fade, but the pieces I first finished a year ago are still bright under multiple coats of oil-based floor poly, though that's no guarantee they won't fade in the future. Fingers crossed...

Best I recall they were finished with oil. Walnut oil, I think. Definitely wasn't anything like lacquer or polyurethane.
  • Like 1
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1081480" timestamp="1387497251"]Seems to be right in the middle of possible wood hardness on the Janka scale. That said, it seems to be harder than any other North American wood that I've ever heard of: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janka_hardness_test[/url] - OS[/quote] 200 points harder than Hickory....so it's slightly less hard than concrete.
I wouldnt burn that wood in a fireplace. It shoots sparks out like crazy and gets super hot. I dont even cut trees with a chainsaw anymore, just get the bulldozer and push in a pile.
Native americans in this region made bows out of that wood. Because it didnt grow further north it was so value that they trade a horse for a bow.

The color change (turns a nice honey brown) is from UV rays, not air. A UV blocking finish will slow it down but not stop it. Bowls that are for utility I'd recommend either butcher block finish or Mahoney's walnut oil. If you ever get to Knoxville I can give you the name of a place there that carries it, just let me know.

Osage is my wifes favorite wood and I enjoy turning it, just keep those tools sharpened.

Osage was used in the 1870's to make railroad ties, proving much more durable than the ties made from oak, chestnut and catalpa, which showed wear after two or three years. Osage orange ties, checked after 21 years, were reportedly as good as when they were cut.

Edited by PapaB
Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks for the tips, PapaB

I don't have a wood lathe ATM, just like futzing around with wood projects, and like interesting colors and grain.

Thanks for the tips, PapaB

I don't have a wood lathe ATM, just like futzing around with wood projects, and like interesting colors and grain.

The place in Knoxville carries boards in various thicknesses for flat work as well as turning stock. Much better selection than the Woodcraft.