What Lever Action Rifle to get and what caliber.

Sonny

Hello guys i would love to get me a nice Lever Action rifle - always liked them and i think its a nice piece of American History. 

Potential use is at the range and possible Dear or Hog hunting.

What type and caliber to choose, my budget is $ 1000.00 

Guest seehorn
I've always liked the idea of a pistol caliber lever gun. .357 or .44 mag would be sweet if matched with a wheel gun. They won't be as common as a 30-30 but if it was me that's what I would hunt for.

Hello guys i would love to get me a nice Lever Action rifle - always liked them and i think its a nice piece of American History. 
Potential use is at the range and possible Dear or Hog hunting.

What type and caliber to choose, my budget is $ 1000.00

For the range I would want a .357.

For hunting hogs I would want a 30-30; Dear hunting is illegal.biggrin.gif

I think Marlin and Henry are the only new American made levers. In used I would try to find an older American made Winchester.

I'm partial to .357/.38spc myself-- I can shoot mine relatively cheaply at the range when using .38 special, but since you mention hog hunting, you might want to move up to either .44mag or 30-30... probably 30-30 if you're set on sticking pigs.

with a $1000 to work with, I agree with DaveTN-- either a new Henry or a nice vintage Winchester.

Edited by tartanphantom
I'd have to go with a nice Winchester Model of 1894. For 500 to 600 you could pick up a sharp pre-64 in good shape in 30 WCF/. 30/30. You'd have a great American-made shooter and a piece of history. They were used in everything from the old west to the Klondike Gold Rush. Most popular lever gun ever made....probably for good reason.

[url=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/99%20savage/IMG_0803.jpg.html]IMG_0803.jpg[/URL]

I hear tell that Savage mad a lever action or two.....

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_2385_zpsddff940f.jpg.html]IMG_2385_zpsddff940f.jpg[/URL]

....turns out they work right well. :up:

Edited by gregintenn

I'm not that familiar with the 45-70, but I am with .458 SOCOM. I can shoot that quite a bit for fun. The 45-70 doesn't have to be loaded up to be plumb painful.

I'll just tell ya, a 44 magnum in a lightweight lever gun can be loaded all the way to plumb uncomfortable.

Ever since I watched Hickok45 video on A. Uberti 1885 High Wall, I am seriously considering a long gun from A. Uberti in the next few years.

http://www.uberti.com/

I do like these lever actions, may not be made in the USA, but they are beautiful.  Maybe one in 44/40 caliber:

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/yellowboys_zpsfa09dbd0.jpg.html]yellowboys_zpsfa09dbd0.jpg[/URL]

Another vote for .35 Rem., or my new favorite 444 Marlin.

If I were looking for a NIB, the only one I would buy would be a Henry.

Used a good Marlin is very hard to beat. Heck for a $1000 you could get a nice pair of Marlins, a 30-30 & a.35 Rem., and probably have enough change to buy ammo for both.

• Like 1
Hmmmm.....

Were it I, and a frugal, greedy bastard I be, I'd hunt around & buy 3 guns.
A 16" Rossi in .357/.38
A 20" Rossi in .44 mag
And a Marlin 336 in .35 or .30-30

With a little judicious hunting you can get that combo of coolness for sound a grand. I've got or had all 3 (+ several others I can think would fit the bill) all between $300 & $350
  • Like 2

I like the 35 Remington and just bought a 444 Marlin . For some reason the 357 Magnums are a hard to find and cost more than other calibers. I found a 357 Marlin 1894 in a pawn shop a few weeks ago and a 444 last week at another pawn shop . As soon as deer season is over there will probably be popping up for sale more often.

If you plan on using a scope , I would stick with a Marlin or Henry . Marlin being the easiest to scope . Some Winchesters are angle eject and mounts are available but to me the Marlin is a better option . I normally take the scopes off of my lever guns , but I only shoot for fun .

The choices are many.. I have a Winchester 94 30-30.. love it (about $300. Used) and have shot my friends Rossi 24 in barrel in both 357 and 44 mag ..Their both nice guns .. and new around $565-580.. I Like the feel of the western style guns to shoot and hunt with.. The Marlins are nice too.. just have to put your hands on 1 you like and enjoy the ride.. Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk