plain or partially serrated

For EDC versatility, which do you prefer, plain or partially serrated?

I have a Kershaw Leek plain blade for years, & really like but thinking about getting a new knife trying to decide which type of blade to go with.

Not a big fan of a partially serrated blade but Ernest Emerson mentioned on a web that should always carry serrated.

What's your opinions?
Plain. The only thing Ive found that serrated works better for is if your cutting lots of rope constantly. I can sharpen a plain blade in about 10 min no problems, and they will slice nice and clean through most materials. If its for self defense a sharp plain edge is better as a cleanly sliced artery or vein will stay open and bleed where as a ripped one will close up and clot faster. Tapatalk ate my spelling.
  • Like 2
Having a serrated is nice except when it's time to sharpen. I've got a special stone for serrated blades for my Lansky kit but never have liked my results. I usually end up using a very small precision round file set I've got to touch it up. My current EDC for the last several years has been a plain blade.
Always have a partially serrated. I like that it's there if I need it (rope, twine, etc) and I have never had to sharpen the serrations, still razor sharp. There is still plenty of usable blade for regular stuff too. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

Serrated blades have a few good uses, but rarely do I run across them in everyday life.

I like that it's there if I need it

there's been a time or two when I was extremely grateful for having the serrations during an unexpected situation.

Those are the things that I have been debating on.

I never sharpened any serrated blades & I do not think I have the right sharpening tool(s) for.

I was leaning toward to plain but I still don't know.

Once decided, I need to pick a knife.
Blade materials to consider, S30V, M390, M4......
It seems tougher than picking a hand gun. Edited by vinstang67

Those are the things that I have been debating on.

I never sharpened any serrated blades & I do not think I have the right sharpening tool(s) for.

I was leaning toward to plain but I still don't know.

Once decided, I need to pick a knife.
It seems tougher than picking a hand gun.

My current EDC is a Zero Tolerance ZT350. If you consider a Zero Tolerance knife for EDC, do yourself a favor and check out the blemished models offered at Kershaw Guy. Big savings.

This is what I carry (I have the 580S). The blade material is 154CM, don't know if that's a deal breaker for you.

Benchmade likes 154CM for some reason. I only have one Benchmade, and it's 154CM as well.

Models I have in mind happened not using 154. Not a deal breaker.

I narrowed down to two:
Benchmade 940 Osborne
Benchmade Contego
(Benchmade Emissary was in but not on the table for now).
  • Moderators
I solve the serrated/smooth blade conundrum by carrying two blades. I have a habit of misplacing things so I carry inexpensive blades. One is a kershaw speed safe assisted open with the combo blade the other is a crkt dragon fixed blade smooth blade.
Guest Lowbuster
My edc is plain but I also carry a multi tool that has both plain and fully serrated. If you are worried about sharpening, honing takes years of experience but kits are made to sharpen serrated by smiths I think.

90 percent of the time I'd say plain. But when you need a serrated it's great to have one one. That said I carry a plain edge but have a partially and a fully serrated in my vehicle just in case. The DMT Aligner sharpener I have has a serrated sharpener attachment. I never dreamed they'd be so easy to sharpen with the right tool.