plain or partially serrated

Maybe it's because I cut myself years ago with a serrated blade. :stunned:

That's what I did many years ago when I got my first Gerber multi tool with full serrated blade..... I wondered how sharp it was, then it happened.... Edited by vinstang67

Plain here, as I generally need to slice, slit, shave, or cut, rather than saw. So plain sharp blade does about as well on stuff smaller than hawser sized rope and the like.

If you're not into keeping your blade sharp though, serrations bear up better over longer periods of neglect, at least for crude brute cutting. And also for loaf bread. :)

I have a pile of knives, but about the only serrated ones are a couple of kitchen ones for sawing through whole chickens, the occasional frozen thing or other and whatnot, steak knives which just come that way, and one long bread knife.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Plain. The only thing Ive found that serrated works better for is if your cutting lots of rope constantly. I can sharpen a plain blade in about 10 min no problems, and they will slice nice and clean through most materials. If its for self defense a sharp plain edge is better as a cleanly sliced artery or vein will stay open and bleed where as a ripped one will close up and clot faster. Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Sometimes your answers scare me :)
I use a plain edge.
  • Like 2

Not tried this. Thanks

Demo shows Sal Glesser just mainly using it normally for serrated knives to sharpen ends of teeth. I guess if the grooves are really messed up, you'd have to go in between them. Some are too narrow for any sharpener to get in there, though, depending on the knife and serration pattern.

I forget which of the 4 parts he does it in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB0r6GvESGg

- OS

I prefer plain as well.  I have a few large fixed blades with serrations, but I won't have a folder with serrations.

I think this is the ticket.  I've also got a fixed blade with serrations.  Generally one puts MUCH more pressure on knife when cutting with serrations compared to a plain edge.  That seems to work a lot better with a bigger knife than a pocket folder. 

I also sharpened my serrated knife over the weekend.  While it wasn't especially dull, it sharpened up easy enough with the diamond round file that came with my Smith's kit.  It'd be pretty tedious to do a long, fully serrated blade (like a kitchen knife), but it's not real difficult. 

I researched this some recently (even ran into Oh Shoot's opinion on a totally different forum) and came to the conclusion that my preference for plan was a good one.

I'd say if you think you have a need for serrated, carry a second knife. If you're only going to have 1 1/2 inch of serrations anyway, you could make it a small folder.

Edited by tnguy

I just like having both options in one knife. I really have never ran into a problem with not enough plain edge with any of my partially serrated knives. Sharpening the plain edge is still as easy as it is on a fully plain edge. I can't think of a time where having a fully plain edge would give me any benefit. I guess I'm the odd man out. 

I just like having both options in one knife. I really have never ran into a problem with not enough plain edge with any of my partially serrated knives. Sharpening the plain edge is still as easy as it is on a fully plain edge. I can't think of a time where having a fully plain edge would give me any benefit. I guess I'm the odd man out. 

I don't think I've ever wanted a shorter sharp edge. A longer edge means longer, fewer strokes. That's just my feeling about it though

You can always just make the edge a little longer. This will bring a tear to Spot's eye :)...

IMG_0934a_zps318cc3ef.jpg

That is true. I don't think that there is not enough straight edge there. Though I'm still thinking of going for the full-size ka-bar in straight-edge.

Or maybe not. The page that Amazon had it on for $55 is gone and now only available for $68

Never mind. Found it for a similar price elsewhere.

Edited by tnguy

That is true. I don't think that there is not enough straight edge there. Though I'm still thinking of going for the full-size ka-bar in straight-edge.

One of these? It's shorter than the OKC, but doesn't have any of those pesky serrations

IMG_0945a_zpscc12b54c.jpg

Or, if you like newfangled...

IMG_0932a_zps8578f0d9.jpg

Edited by mikegideon
  • Admin Team

Unless I'm on the water, plain for me.  And, if I'm on the water then I like a full serrated edge like the Spyderco Rescue. 

It's always seemed to me that the combo blades don't really perform as well as one or the other could in any scenario.

Yep. One of those. I think I'll go with the leather handle.

Though it's next-in-line either behind the Leatherman Crater or the Gerber Obsidian. I'm not sure which to go for. I like the style of the Gerber better but it has some iffy reviews whereas the leatherman is a bit more spendy. I may get both and let them fight it out.

Edited by tnguy