Finally! PSL/FPK Dragunov!

Smith

I've always wanted a SVD and since I don't have 10's of thousands of dollars to get one of those or even a TIGR, I figured i would try for a PSL. I've been kicking myself for not getting one when they were $500. Well, fortune shined on me and I found one! Traded a Saiga 12 for it which I know is not necessarily an even trade but there won't be any more imported PSL's and I can always get another Saiga 12.

I'm not near as up on my PSL markings as I am on AK stuff, but it appears to be a Romanian military grade build imported by TGI. It doesn't have any of the domestic manufacturing marks, so I believe this is a real deal military grade PSL. Definitely needs some trigger work, but I'm as happy as a tick on a dog!

IMAG1511-1.jpg

PSL-3.jpg

• Like 7

If you handload, you can get them to shoot VERY well!  I put some of the 7N1 ammo through mine a few years back and was getting groups just over an inch at 100m.  It's a .308 bore, so the bullet selection is very large.  Mine works best with the Hornady 155gr AMAX which is as accurate as the 7N1.

Sweet! Iraqveteran888 on youtube made a video about finding the most accurate factory loaded ammo for these. The winner was the sellier & bellot (spelling?) match ammo. It shot some tight groups, but is about a buck a round iirc. Again nice rifle!

Those PSLs from TGI were some of the best.  Well Done!

Make sure that you only shoot light ball (148g -150g) in your PSL.

Regularly shooting heavy ball (198g) will transferred too much recoil to the rear trunnion which will eventually cause receiver rivet failure.

Also, check for the correct position of the spring in your mags.  If installed the wrong way you will get a lot of FTF.

ojqkh.jpg

Regularly shooting heavy ball (198g) will transferred too much recoil to the rear trunnion which will eventually cause receiver rivet failure.

Also, check for the correct position of the spring in your mags.  If installed the wrong way you will get a lot of FTF.

Thanks for the heads up on the mag. I've never been a fan of the recoil buffers, but would they make a positive difference in a lower volume gun like the PSL?

I know some folks use recoil buffers....., but as I understand it with an AK they can be a problem since the bolt does - sort of - kind of - can by design - bounce off of the rear trunnion. 

Could be that a buffer could limit that loose fit that the AK is known for and make for a problem. 

ojqkh.jpg

My mag springs tails are the other way and don't look like they fit the other direction.?

My mag springs tails are the other way and don't look like they fit the other direction.?

If they work that way, then you are good-to-go.  No reason to change anything.

A lot of folks were having feeding problems with these PSLs back in 2009-2010 when many of these rifles came in.  PSL magazines frequently have been disassembled and then reassembled incorrectly, whether by the importer, vendor or owner. If the magazine spring is installed backward, it can cause the mag to feed erratically - - - typically "nosedive" jams. I have several that had the spring in backward "from the factory" and they were unreliable until I disassembled them and corrected the mag springs.

Correctly oriented, the loop of the spring goes toward the front of the follower, with the free end of the spring pointing toward the back of the magazine. This helps raise the front of the follower, and thus, the nose of the bullet, preventing nosedives.  In the picture you can see the clip were the front of the loop is placed.

Also, another way to check is on the floorplate where the free end of the spring points toward the front of the magazine.

But again....., if your PSL runs good with the mags installed the other way then there is no reason to swap the springs around. 

If they work that way, then you are good-to-go.  No reason to change anything.

A lot of folks were having feeding problems with these PSLs back in 2009-2010 when many of these rifles came in.  PSL magazines frequently have been disassembled and then reassembled incorrectly, whether by the importer, vendor or owner. If the magazine spring is installed backward, it can cause the mag to feed erratically - - - typically "nosedive" jams. I have several that had the spring in backward "from the factory" and they were unreliable until I disassembled them and corrected the mag springs.

Correctly oriented, the loop of the spring goes toward the front of the follower, with the free end of the spring pointing toward the back of the magazine. This helps raise the front of the follower, and thus, the nose of the bullet, preventing nosedives.  In the picture you can see the clip were the front of the loop is placed.

Also, another way to check is on the floorplate where the free end of the spring points toward the front of the magazine.

But again....., if your PSL runs good with the mags installed the other way then there is no reason to swap the springs around. 

After looking at them and reading the post from the picture you posted, all mine were upside down and backwards. Fixing them then made sense, as I guessed it was to raise the front of the follower.