I just broke my press!

Cheap Lee stuff! :D It was about $35-$40, only lasted 20 years, and resized, reformed, and reloaded untold thousands of cases. I am upgrading to a Lee Classic Cast press this time instead of the cast aluminum one I'll sadly leave behind.

I feel I got my money's worth out of it. Oh, I know that if I'd bought an expensive press to begin with, it would likely still be working. At the time, we had just married, and money was tight. If it wasn't for Lee products, I would have missed out on several years of reloading and shooting, waiting until I could afford the pricier stuff. The rest of the Anniversary kit I bought at that time, though well worn, is still in operation.

• Like 2

What broke on it? May I assume the frame? If so they may replace it.

No, it was the metal piece that holds the linkage, ram, and handle together. I'm not sure of the proper name for it.

I believe they offer a 2 year warranty. The press frame is also very worn where the ram goes into it. It's just worn out all the way around, but it's sure given good service for a lot of years.

Edited by gregintenn

Nothing wrong with Lee stuff, Greg.  I never had their press, but do use the dies. Very pleased with them.

I still have & use the first & only press I've owned....a RCBS Junior I bought back in the late 60's. Don't recall

what I gave for it. It's seen some use, for sure.

I'd say you got your money's worth. Now that you're rolling in dough, you can move up to a big bad

Dillon,   :lol: 

I prefer Lee dies to other brands. I dislike needing an allen wrench to adjust a die, and Lee dies are the only brand I've yet to break a decapping pin in.

I didn't say anything about rolling in money, but we are more comfortable than when we first started out, as I expect most people would be.

As for the Dillon. I still have no desire for a progressive press. A single stage does exactly what I want.

I got my money's worth many times over out of that press. I was joking about "Cheap Lee stuff". Someone usually chimes it with it in any thread about Lee, and I just beat them to the punch. Lee makes inexpensive reloading equipment that just plain ole works. :up:

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 5
If the aluminum one lasted you 20 years you'll probably be long dead before you wear out the cast iron one. I've been using a Classic Cast from Lee for over ten years and its as tight as it was when I bought it. When I actually take the time to wipe it off, it looks like I just took it out the box.
I have no doubts it I will last me the rest of my days.
  • Like 1
Guest TresOsos

Don't feel bad, after 20 plus years and over 100k rounds plus, the crank on my Dillion RL-550B broke.

Only difference, Dillon shipped me a repair kit with new up graded parts for free and on their dime.

It was back up and running in less than a week and I've already loaded another 10K rounds

[url=http://s1023.photobucket.com/user/3Baers/media/No%20Name/550-1_zps11556488.jpg.html]550-1_zps11556488.jpg[/URL]

Edited by TresOsos

I prefer Lee dies to other brands. I dislike needing an allen wrench to adjust a die, and Lee dies are the only brand I've yet to break a decapping pin in.

I didn't say anything about rolling in money, but we are more comfortable than when we first started out, as I expect most people would be.

As for the Dillon. I still have no desire for a progressive press. A single stage does exactly what I want.

I got my money's worth many times over out of that press. I was joking about "Cheap Lee stuff". Someone usually chimes it with it in any thread about Lee, and I just beat them to the punch. Lee makes inexpensive reloading equipment that just plain ole works. :up:

Just kiddin about the dough. And agreed, there'll be some with the "Lee's are junk" thing.

They do work, without sacrificing an arm / leg..Personally, I can't see parting with several

hundred bucks for a Dillon, but to each his own.

Guest TresOsos

Just kiddin about the dough. And agreed, there'll be some with the "Lee's are junk" thing.

They do work, without sacrificing an arm / leg..Personally, I can't see parting with several

hundred bucks for a Dillon, but to each his own.

I see what you're are saying, I needed quality and volume.

When I bought my RL-550B it was $259 complete with one caliber conversion and then dies on top of that.

I have never had to pay for a replacement part to this day or shipping and I have had wonderful custonmer service.

I guess I'm the same way about guns, I like quality over quantity and cheap doesn't turn me on. I can go reload

1000 rounds in an afternoon, that's important me, I rather spent my time shooting than reloading.

Edited by TresOsos
I'll always buy dillon for the warranty. Hands down. And I love their products.

Lee stuff.... I use a couple of their pistol dies. That's it. I've never been a fan of their quality at all.

You most definitely got your monies worth out of your press for that little amount for it!

The only Lee products that I've owned have been die sets and they have turned out ammo that shot just as well as any other dies I've used have. I did buy a Dillon but mainly to bring my production up to meet my demand. To each his own and i hope the next one gives you just as much service or more than the 1st.

Thanks for the warning Greg.

Whew, that was close. I'll have to keep a close eye on my Lee.

It's only been in use since around 1986. :pleased:

The Dillon is much newer...1989...

Both are affordable quality imho.

Dillon and Lee

DillonandLee002_zps8fd11049.jpg

Excuse the mess...they are in constant use. :cool:

been using my lyman for over 40 years my coax for 20 or so

I like redding dies first lee second

being in the business lee are the only dies I have had to send back because they were wrong

most all reloading stuff will work I have something from most every mfg.

I prefer star or cpm progressives and hollywood turrent presses

I do use a camdex to load 9mm to feed my machine guns

if it wasn't for lee reloading would be much more expenive

• Like 4

Don't feel bad, after 20 plus years and over 100k rounds plus, the crank on my Dillion RL-550B broke.

Only difference, Dillon shipped me a repair kit with new up graded parts for free and on their dime.

It was back up and running in less than a week and I've already loaded another 10K rounds

550-1_zps11556488.jpg

That is the equivalent of the same part that broke on mine. If dillons were as good as everyone who cheers for them says, why would they need a warranty?

Mechanical stuff breaks. Mine was cheaper, and broke sooner. That's pretty much what I would expect.

Were I to load the type volume you do, I would definitely be in the market for something more suited to high volume loading like you have. I don't shoot competition, so the bulk of my loading is either load development, or loading a box of shells for deer hunting season. Although I do load large batches of 223, 30 carbine, 38spl, 9mm, 45 acp, etc. occasionally, I do most of that in the wintertime when I have quite a bit of spare time on my hands, and the slower pace helps to keep me out of trouble.

That is the equivalent of the same part that broke on mine. If dillons were as good as everyone who cheers for them says, why would they need a warranty?

I think the reason Dillon presses have the rep they have is due to the fact that they will consistently put out quality ammo at a fast rate. Their priming system and powder measure system is one area that they really shine (IMO) and the priming station is where I hear of others having issues.
I guess my point is, Dillon to my knowledge makes no claims about being indestructible or that the press or parts of the press will never wear out but the do say that if if ever needs anything at all they will take care of it free of charge to the consumer. IMO any company that stands behind their products with a no hassle warranty such as theirs is a good group to do business with.
  • Like 3
I have all RCBS presses and RCBS and Lee dies.I got the presses used and all of the RCBS dies came with them too.All the RCBS stuff has a great no questions asked warranty .All the Lee dies I have I bought new, hadn't had any problems with them.

I think the reason Dillon presses have the rep they have is due to the fact that they will consistently put out quality ammo at a fast rate. Their priming system and powder measure system is one area that they really shine (IMO) and the priming station is where I hear of others having issues.
I guess my point is, Dillon to my knowledge makes no claims about being indestructible or that the press or parts of the press will never wear out but the do say that if if ever needs anything at all they will take care of it free of charge to the consumer. IMO any company that stands behind their products with a no hassle warranty such as theirs is a good group to do business with.

I understand. I wanted a single stage press. Does Dillon even make one?

Guest TresOsos

They make a BL-550, Basic loader and I believe if can be upgrade later to a RL.

But they are still $259 dollars. If I was going to get a single stage, I'd go with a RCBS Rock Chunker.

Personally I only want to pay for something like a reloading press once.

Even though a Lee Classic Cast will serve you well (I own the Breachlock version), you should avoid all the girlie presses mentioned in this thread (except for David), and get you a Forster Co-Ax. It's the best single stage press in the world. :)

• Like 1

Even though a Lee Classic Cast will serve you well (I own the Breachlock version), you should avoid all the girlie presses mentioned in this thread (except for David), and get you a Forster Co-Ax. It's the best single stage press in the world. :)

They showed "out of stock" at Midway last night when I ordered the Lee press. I did consider it.