Malaysian Plane Missing After Take Off

[quote name="TerryW" post="1122815" timestamp="1394482448"]TMF, I can't argue, you're right and I am on your side. How an aircraft is equipt isn't always decided based on what is the "latest greatest", it is decided by people that look for .0001 pennies in the cost and what will it return in whole dollars. I can't speak for other airlines but my transponder operation hasn't changed one bit since 9/11. I have friends at just about all the other carriers and don't know if the others procedures have changed but I doubt it. We turn the transponder on and off based on the phase of flight. It is used on the ground during taxi because most airports have ground based radar and they track us at all times during taxi, especially during low visibility conditions. We don't leave the transponder on at the gate as it has a very high output and is more damaging to humans than the aircraft's airborne radar. It has the several modes one of which is STBY. The way our transponders work is we have a discreet code assigned to our flight by Air Traffic Control. Their ground based radar sweeps the sky(queries) and our transponder replies with our assigned code and our altitude in order to differentiate us from others. I am not aware of a transponder that communicates globally ie in non radar environment. I think what would be used to give position would be a separate radio device. [/quote] I understand. The concept just seems redonkulous to me and I can't wrap my head around the idea that aircraft wouldn't have something that is standard in fleet ground vehicles. On the transponder thing, I must be wrong, but I remember watching a show on the 9/11 commission and what came out of it was something to the effect that transponders couldn't be disabled by the pilots, since that's what the hijackers did with some of those flights. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clearly you've never dealt with the FAA. Something that costs normal people $500 would cost $10,000 and require $2000 in annual maintenance by the time they were done with it.

...and only the FAA-approved versions would be allowed on anything beyond a home-built ultralight. It's funny & sad, but the numbers aren't far off.

I've tinkered around with the thought of flying for some time, and at one point I found a market niche that was under-served. As an entrepreneur, I seriously looked at starting a little one-man business to fill the gap & have fun at the same time. I soon discovered why that market was under-served: it's effectively regulated out of existence because the FAA requirements make everything outrageously expensive. You not only need deep pockets to get in the game, you have to charge commensurately high prices just to break even, thus preventing that under-served market from being filled.

On a related note, that's partly why the big impending airline pilot shortage isn't being filled by hungry new pilots. The FAA requirements make training incredibly expensive, and the current market conditions don't pay new pilots enough to make it worthwhile (unless you have enough money to just write a check & not blink).

Guest semiautots

...and only the FAA-approved versions would be allowed on anything beyond a home-built ultralight. It's funny & sad, but the numbers aren't far off.

I've tinkered around with the thought of flying for some time, and at one point I found a market niche that was under-served. As an entrepreneur, I seriously looked at starting a little one-man business to fill the gap & have fun at the same time. I soon discovered why that market was under-served: it's effectively regulated out of existence because the FAA requirements make everything outrageously expensive. You not only need deep pockets to get in the game, you have to charge commensurately high prices just to break even, thus preventing that under-served market from being filled.

On a related note, that's partly why the big impending airline pilot shortage isn't being filled by hungry new pilots. The FAA requirements make training incredibly expensive, and the current market conditions don't pay new pilots enough to make it worthwhile (unless you have enough money to just write a check & not blink).

Or uncle Sam trains you.

Best way to make a small fortune in aviation...?  Start with a large fortune. 

• Like 2

Best way to make a small fortune in aviation...?  Start with a large fortune. 

Not to get too far off topic, but I am really glad I did not go into aviation. I had a partial scholarship to get my airframe/powerplant (plus free pilots license) out in Oklahoma, and ended up not going. I would have graduated right when American Airlines tanked and would have been struggling to find a job. Instead I stayed home working in a computer break-fix shop using skills and certifications from high school and after moving between employers a couple of times it has really paid off.

Back on topic, still waiting for an update and hoping they find something soon. Even if it is wreckage, I am sure it will be a comfort to the families to know for certain instead of having to wonder.

[quote name="Peace" post="1123055" timestamp="1394544739"]Missing airliner = Russian distraction?[/quote] We're Americans. Kim Karshittian getting pregnant would be a distraction from Russian aggression for the vast majority of your fellow Americans. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
Guest TankerHC

I see there is another development in this mornings paper. Seem's the Chinese are now getting involved due to the fact that they feel their Iranian Allies (Thought Iran were allies of the Russians....oh yea, that was last month), are being unfairly targeted, there is absolutely no probability that Iran and Terrorists had anything to do with this and the proof is in the fact that the two Iranians with the stolen passports just bought the cheapest tickets. 

Seems to me that would actually be another reason to look at them harder, plus the US Military and US Government has been putting a major crimp in the terrorists budget. 

[quote name="TankerHC" post="1123073" timestamp="1394548077"] Seems to me that would actually be another reason to look at them harder, plus the US Military and US Government has been putting a major crimp in the terrorists budget. [/quote] Yeah, I heard that IRGC were no longer authorized to book business class for official travel. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Guest TankerHC

Yeah, I heard that IRGC were no longer authorized to book business class for official travel. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lets see, two Iranians, on stolen passports, multiple flights, cheapest flight, flying under the radar, plane vanishes suddenly.

It may sound like a joke, but with the person who purchased the tickets proclaiming "We have been doing this before, look at how many times we have done it, they only wanted to go back home to Europe".

It seems to me that the man who purchased the tickets is being willfully ignorant. The CIA coined a term for that. Plausible Deniability. 

Guest TankerHC

I fear that some day these people may turn out to be right. Then we will all look like idiots. 

If RIley Martin ever turns out to be right, I am going to go live in a cave. 

It's pretty much all speculation. It's also doubtful there will be any evidence. That plane is most likely in a million pieces and

it will be almost impossible to find if it was over water.

Not necessarily......look at all the pieces of the Shuttle Challenger they recovered off the Florida coast. Granted the explosion was watched by millions, the flight path and debris field was known but they recoved almost all of it. Call in Robert Ballard....he found the Titanic and the Bismarck...he will find find this plane, iffen is under water that is.

While listening to Hannity again today a pilot called in who had years of experience flying the same plane. His theory based on a lot of things I don't comprehend is that the plane landed somewhere on a remote airstrip.

I'm starting to think that if we don't know something in the next few days we will never know.

OK, put stock in this as much as you paid anyways.

I just read another place that the cell phones from the passengers are still working.  Me thinks if that was true they would have been located already.

I think that is just someone on the web either trying to give false hope or just trying to stir things up.

I am not buying into that.  If they where someone would have called out.

OK, put stock in this as much as you paid anyways.

I just read another place that the cell phones from the passengers are still working.  Me thinks if that was true they would have been located already.

I think that is just someone on the web either trying to give false hope or just trying to stir things up.

I am not buying into that.  If they where someone would have called out.

Unless all the phones are in a sack.

I have to think it's just rumors though. They would know which tower those phones were using in zero time.