Fred phelps of Westboro church near death

I wonder how many folks will gather at his grave to have a pissing party?

I don't know but a large crowed gathering to jeer at and disrupt his funeral would certainly be a little poetic justice I would think.

Then again; I find disrespecting a funeral to be a pretty disgusting thing to do regardless of who is being buried so I don't plan to do so.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
I hope that God's grace is sufficient for Fred Phelps, as misguided, hateful and sinful as he was. Because frankly, if it's not then I'm pretty sure I don't have much more hope.

God will judge us all. Without his grace, I'm in the same boat as Fred. I may not be as public about it, but I can be pretty dang misguided, hateful and sinful myself.
  • Like 6
  • Moderators
[quote name="TankerHC" post="1125839" timestamp="1395073436"]If I'm wrong i will be the first to admit it. I was wrong. Thought you were insulting me personally. My apologies. I was completely wrong. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2[/quote] I'm sorry as well. Reading back through it I could have been more clear exactly what I was taking issue with.
  • Moderators
[quote name="RobertNashville" post="1125840" timestamp="1395073481"]I don't know but a large crowed gathering to jeer at and disrupt his funeral would certainly be a little poetic justice I would think. Then again; I find disrespecting a funeral to be a pretty disgusting thing to do regardless of who is being buried so I don't plan to do so.[/quote] I think the best, most poetic and Christian response would be to have folks gather with signs proclaiming forgiveness for him as we are called to love all and most especially our enemies. The correct answer to his hatred isn't more of the same in return, but love in abundance.
  • Like 2
Guest TankerHC

I think the best, most poetic and Christian response would be to have folks gather with signs proclaiming forgiveness for him as we are called to love all and most especially our enemies. The correct answer to his hatred isn't more of the same in return, but love in abundance.

From what I have seen of it, it appears his family abandoned his ideas quite a while back and a few family members used his position to make a lot of money with lawsuits. For such a small Church group he definitely made a big impact, internationally and they made a lot of money

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
  • Admin Team

From what I have seen of it, it appears his family abandoned his ideas quite a while back and a few family members used his position to make a lot of money with lawsuits. For such a small Church group he definitely made a big impact, internationally and they made a lot of money

You can look at another side of this to, perhaps a "positive?" aspect of his misguided protests.

How many Christians had to really think about and in a lot of cases give voice to their faith because of him - maybe in some cases only to figure out how they were different.

Reading the writings of his kids and family, his choices certainly made them struggle with their faith until the point they left.

He was vocal in his hatred, especially of gays, but how many of us harbor those same hatreds - maybe just less vocally? Gays? Immigrants? Blacks? Democrats?

We all like to pretend we're somehow better, but my heart is pretty black a lot of the time...
  • Like 3
Guest TankerHC
I don't hate any of the people mentioned or even politicians personally. Not even Obama. In fact I believe Obama is probably a pretty good dad. What i hate is their Politics, policies and procedures. So although I don't hate them, it wouldn't bother me to see some of them hanging upside down from a tree limb. I'm sure there are plenty here that think the same way.

My Mom always told me, "If you can't find anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." 

Mr Phelps,                                                                                                                                                                                   .

Piss on that guy. For what he has done to disrespect our fallen military, I hope he has a painful death. I, for one, will be glad he's gone. I just hope some folks give those assholes some of their own medicine at his sendoff.

I think a much more satisfactory outcome would be if no one showed up at his funeral, at all, except Phelps, himself, the funeral director and grave diggers.  I believe that a lot of the pain he has caused has been because he is a self-aggrandizing attention whore.  How fitting, then, if his passing didn't get much attention, at all.

There was a line in the article that seemed to indicate that Phelps, himself, was 'excommunicated' from his own church.  Part of the quote from Nate Phelps read:

I've learned that my father, Fred Phelps, Sr., pastor of the "God Hates Fags" Westboro Baptist Church, was ex-communicated from the "church" back in August of 2013.

I have to wonder what that is all about.  I also have to wonder if it is a misprint and, if not, why the non-excommunicated family members won't let the previously 'ex-communicated' family members see him.  If it is true, was he 'ex-communicated' because he had a change of heart about the hate filled mission of the church?  Are the church members blocking others from seeing him because they are afraid he will denounce his previous actions and message?

The most disgusting thing I remember this guy doing - even worse, IMO, than protesting military funerals - was that he planned to protest at the funeral of the little Amish girls that were killed in a shooting at an Amish school a few years back.  One of them, despite being just a little girl, apparently asked the gunman to kill her, if he had to kill anyone, and let her friends live.  She was not only an innocent child but also a hero and those Westboro pukes were planning to protest her funeral, calling her a whore and other things.  The only reason they didn't protest was that there was a talk show host (radio, IIRC) who traded them some on-air time in exchange for leaving her funeral alone.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/10/04/anti-gay-kansas-church-cancels-protests-at-funerals-for-slain-amish-girls/

Edited by JAB
Guest TankerHC

I think a much more satisfactory outcome would be if no one showed up at his funeral, at all, except Phelps, himself, the funeral director and grave diggers. I believe that a lot of the pain he has caused has been because he is a self-aggrandizing attention whore. How fitting, then, if his passing didn't get much attention, at all.

There was a line in the article that seemed to indicate that Phelps, himself, was 'excommunicated' from his own church. Part of the quote from Nate Phelps read:

I have to wonder what that is all about. I also have to wonder if it is a misprint and, if not, why the non-excommunicated family members won't let the previously 'ex-communicated' family members see him. If it is true, was he 'ex-communicated' because he had a change of heart about the hate filled mission of the church? Are the church members blocking others from seeing him because they are afraid he will denounce his previous actions and message?

The most disgusting thing I remember this guy doing - even worse, IMO, than protesting military funerals - was that he planned to protest at the funeral of the little Amish girls that were killed in a shooting at an Amish school a few years back. One of them, despite being just a little girl, apparently asked the gunman to kill her, if he had to kill anyone, and let her friends live. She was not only an innocent child but also a hero and those Westboro pukes were planning to protest her funeral, calling her a whore and other things. The only reason they didn't protest was that there was a talk show host (radio, IIRC) who traded them some on-air time in exchange for leaving her funeral alone.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/10/04/anti-gay-kansas-church-cancels-protests-at-funerals-for-slain-amish-girls/

All about money and "getting back". This little Church made a ton of money in lawsuits. We haven't heard the last from Phelps. Once he is gone, the press is going to have a field day with " How much he was worth" and the family fighting over it.

The only thing good I know of that came from him was the founding of Patriot Guard Riders.  Proud member who joined to block his efforts to disrupt military funerals and now

will help honor any veteran whether WBC oalans to attend or not..

• Like 4
Guest Lowbuster

I think the best, most poetic and Christian response would be to have folks gather with signs proclaiming forgiveness for him as we are called to love all and most especially our enemies. The correct answer to his hatred isn't more of the same in return, but love in abundance.

I agree. Well said.

Hopefully the PGR can make up some signs and protest this guy's funeral in a mass 1000+ people deep chanting nasty things about him so that's the last thing his family and friends remember as they pile the dirt on top of his grave.

Edited by Sam1

Negatory el capitan, gifts of peace are not always effective... sometimes you need a flaming bag of poo on the doorstep to get your point across.

• Moderators

Negatory el capitan, gifts of peace are not always effective... sometimes you need a flaming bag of poo on the doorstep to get your point across.

Agree to disagree.

The point isn't aimed at him, or even necessarily at those few members of his family that were part of his church. The point is aimed at everyone else. The point is to provide an example of what the Church really is. The point is to show what Christ's love is really capable of in our broken selves.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 3

There is nothing nice to say except progress is being made at the former church: feel free to shove this on to Facebook etc

amyra3uz.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Now, that I like!!

Guest theconstitutionrocks

Would like to see one of two things happen...

1. Like Tsaniev (sp) in Boston, no funeral home would be willing to "process" him

2. Find out the funeral route....line it with a bunch of people who simply turn their backs as he goes by