Any Air Gunners on Here?

I've got pistols, I've got rifles, and I've got shotguns, but enjoy shooting pellet guns...and it's cheaper! I have a Gamo break barrel in .177 cal and a Sheridan Blue Streak pump action in .5mm/.20Cal. But just ordered a Crosman 2240 in .22 Cal. This is the Co2 powered version. I've done some research, and these things have been modded to run the cost up to unbelievable! I'm hoping to do a little pest control with it in the stock condition...right out of the box...or blister pack. Money is tight these days...unless it's spent on something that goes bang!

I'd like to get a good discussion going in this thread, about the rifles, pistols, mods, hunting experiences, best brands by field proof, maybe even a confession or two, from people that like to shoot pellet guns, but didn't want their shooting buddies to know.

To start the thread rolling, I'd like to hear about actual experiences with this Crosman 2240 .22 Cal. C02 pellet pistol from anyone. Anyone done any small game hunting with one of these? I've got to dispatch some pigeons...how far can I expect to take the shot from?

I've got a Gamo .177 break barrel it shoots at 1000fps. Nice for sure but I'm still working on the accuracy. I haven't found the right pellets to give me consistent accuracy yet.

Picked up a Benjamin Classic in .22, that thing is spot on! I've also got 2 crossman pistols. Haven't monkeyed with those in years though. One is a pump he other is a revolver that uses co2. I don't like buying co2 :)
Can't help you on the crossman you've got on the way. Edited by Ugly

I love my airguns. I Have a Beaman RS2 in .22 that I haven't shot in a long time due to where we live now. I also have a  Bennjamin pump, a 392 I think that we call the grackle blaster. I use it to dispatch all the small starlings and blackbirds that run of all the song birds in the yard. Learning to shoot a springer with an artillery hold will make you a crack shot with a rimfire. I would love to have one of the new nitro pistons but the velocity is to high to shoot in my yard.

• Like 1

My one year old daughter cries if I get the pellet rifle out and she doesn't get to "help" shoot it.

IMG956896_zps045321d2.jpg

IMG956431_zps2e6aa7f8.jpg

It's a Gamo silent cat with fiber optic sights. Box said 1200 fps with PBA ammo and 1000 fps with solid lead.

It has done a fair amount of pest control this year. Yesterday it took a starling out with a beautiful head shot at about 20 yards. Entry hole was the left eye and exited the back of the head. Dead instantly. It also helps out with my fly fishing. No need to buy feathers to tie flies with anymore.

Edited by z0mbies fear me

By the way, after a few years of idleness, I had to reseal my Sheridan Blue Streak. I bought a reseal kit, and did it myself. No "O" rings...lead rings! Now it shoots fine, and will take 5 to 8 pumps. I ordered my Crosman 2240 .22 Cal. Co2 powered through Wal-Mart.Com yesterday afternoon, and paid for it at my local store. If any of you are in the Murfreesboro area, where do you buy your "Pel-Gun oil" locally?

I've enjoyed reading the post thus far, and imagine others have too. Hope everyone will keep up the exchange of information. It looks like "Zombies Fear Me" has a hunting buddy for life! Lucky man.

By the way, after a few years of idleness, I had to reseal my Sheridan Blue Streak. I bought a reseal kit, and did it myself. No "O" rings...lead rings! Now it shoots fine, and will take 5 to 8 pumps. I ordered my Crosman 2240 .22 Cal. Co2 powered through Wal-Mart.Com yesterday afternoon, and paid for it at my local store. If any of you are in the Murfreesboro area, where do you buy your "Pel-Gun oil" locally?

I've enjoyed reading the post thus far, and imagine others have too. Hope everyone will keep up the exchange of information. It looks like "Zombies Fear Me" has a hunting buddy for life! Lucky man.

Go to your local hobby shop and get silicone oil, works for all types of air guns. Also check out http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/ the yellow forum. Air gunning can become an adiction.

Air Arms TX200
Barnett Spitfire
QB78 Tanker
Falcon FN12
Crosman (Benjamin) Marauder Pistol .22
Crosman (Benjamin) Marauder Rifle .22
The bottom three are PCPs so I also have scuba tanks and a shoebox compressor. Before I developed RA in 2005 I shot competion in AirGun Field Target. They can be as adictive as any other gun.

Joe W

Edited by bronco302

I've got a Gamo .177 break barrel it shoots at 1000fps. Nice for sure but I'm still working on the accuracy. I haven't found the right pellets to give me consistent accuracy yet.

Picked up a Benjamin Classic in .22, that thing is spot on! I've also got 2 crossman pistols. Haven't monkeyed with those in years though. One is a pump he other is a revolver that uses co2. I don't like buying co2 :)
Can't help you on the crossman you've got on the way.

Ugly, according to a video I just watched on U-tube, how the break barrel/spring action pellet guns are held greatly affects the accuracy. He showed five shots using what he called the "artillery hold", and put all shots inside the bull's eye...all holes were touching! Then he put the gun in a gun vise and fired five shots, and none were even close to the bull's eye...they were all over the place! I have a Gamo break barrel and have wondered about it jumping around when fired. Apparently, it needs to be allowed to recoil without on it's own, with a very light touch, for extreme accuracy.

Like I've said, I've ordered the Crosman 2240 .22 Cal Co2 powered pistol. According to some forum folks, it's about the most modded air gun on the planet! I like that, and plan to do a couple of mods myself to improve it's performance. I'm considering the receiver mod, so I can put a scope on it. There are some really good U-tube videos on these mods, but I was wondering if anyone on here has that specific model...and if so, have you done any of the mods? I was actually interested in the results of those mods. Also, they say the Co2 models don't work very well in colder temps. Looks like that would make it useless for winter hunting.

I have several and they are great if you don't want to make a trip to the range. I shoot in the backyard and if the weather is really bad, in the basement. I built a pellet trap out of wood and duct seal. Controls the pests in the garden and bird feeders.

Tons of fun with big boy toys.

Crosman 1377 w/steel breech

Crosman 1322 w/ steel breech

Gamo Big Cat

Benjamin 392

Benjamin Nitro Piston 22

This is great! Many have chimed in, and we hope many more will...especially with some hunting stories. I started looking for "Pellgunoil" in the B'oro a couple of days ago. Couldn't find any...but Academy in Smyrna had it.

One of the U-tube video guys talks about substituting non detergent 30 weight motor oil. Claims to have used it for years...and said his seals last longer than with Pellgunoil. I dunno. I bought the recommended stuff for the initial break in of my Crosman 2240...if it ever gets here! Maybe next week.

I have a Otter Stealth 2000 duck boat (sort of like a kayak, canoe, and catamaran in one), and I think this gun will be handy to have when fishing the local fishing spots.

It is a Umarex Legends P08....http://www.amazon.com/Umarex-2251800-Legends-Pistol-Finish/dp/B00AU6D5IS.  Looks and feels just like the real thing.

Wow! Sure fooled me. That's a sharp BB pistol. Is it accurate? Where does the Co2 tank go in? how many shots do you get from the standard 12 gram bottle? I just may have to have one of these. I'll bet it shoots pretty hard.

Wow! Sure fooled me. That's a sharp BB pistol. Is it accurate? Where does the Co2 tank go in? how many shots do you get from the standard 12 gram bottle? I just may have to have one of these. I'll bet it shoots pretty hard.

Honestly, I haven't shot it enough to fully answer your questions but it is accurate enough at back yard distances like 10-15 yards and it does hit hard.  The cartridge goes in the grip along with a 25-shot clip.  There are a coupla good youtubes out there if you Google it.

I WANT to like air guns.  I really do.  I have several (maybe I'll get pics up, eventually.)  One is a large 'revolver' model that is CO2 powered.  One is a 1911 replica, also CO2 powered (and, honestly, I couldn't even tell you exactly where that one is at the moment.)  One is a 'Pumpmaster' bolt action, pump pellet pistol that was given to me a couple of years ago.  I also have a pump bb/pellet rifle (can't remember the exact model at the moment.)  I say that to exemplify that I own and have tried a range of air guns.  Like I said, I really WANT to like them.  Sadly, as much as I want to like them I can't escape one, simple fact - after five or six shots I find them extremely, terribly boring.  Apparently - for me - part of the lure of firearms is the bang, flash and gunpowder smell.  It doesn't have to be a big boomer - I enjoy shooting .22LR a lot - but I, apparently, do need at least a small amount of the sound and fury in order to hold my attention and help me enjoy shooting.  Air guns that require shooting a single shot and then reloading, pumping, etc. before being able to shoot again are especially bad at holding my interest.  When shooting guns that use gunpowder launched projectiles, I am not a person who often just does mag dumps and can enjoy a single shot rifle, shotgun or pistol.  Combining the single shot with all the rigmarole of setting up for the next one, though, becomes dull in a hurry, for me.  It is kind of the same reason why I am not a bigger fan of powder-based muzzle loaders.  Too much involved and too much lag time between each shot.

As a last ditch attempt, I might pick up a Crosman 1077 repeater.  It is an air rifle that uses CO2 cartridges and has a 12 shot rotary magazine.  As I said, I am not generally prone to mag dumps but it would be nice to be able to have an air gun with decent velocity (the 1911 replica is a semiauto but isn't very powerful) without having to work my arm to death and take a minute or two between shots.  We'll see, if I decide to get one.

Honestly, I haven't shot it enough to fully answer your questions but it is accurate enough at back yard distances like 10-15 yards and it does hit hard.  The cartridge goes in the grip along with a 25-shot clip.  There are a coupla good youtubes out there if you Google it.

Sounds like it has the capacity to eliminate backyard pests...at least the ones with feathers. I'll check out the vids. Thanks.