Tell me about Antioch

Does this include the areas on nolansville pike, south of old hickory? Some of those addresses are Antioch, some are Nashville, some Brentwood, it's confusing

It is a bit confusing.  I live in that area, and I like it.  You should be able to find some townhouse rentals in Shadow Glen or Lenox Village.

• Like 1

As someone who actually lives in Antioch, I'll try to reclaim some trash-talk from the yuppies on here. :taunt:

Yes, Antioch has a reputation. Just like LA has a reputation. It's a mix of good areas & not-so-good areas. However, you only hear about the bad parts, because the good parts stay quiet. It really depends on where you are.

In general, east of I-24 is not so good, but has patches of decent housing (especially if it's a newer development). West of I-24 is better, getting gradually better (& more expensive) as you get towards I-65 & Brentwood. The Edmonson Pike area is nice. Going further west over I-65 to Radnor Lake, you start getting in to the pricy section of town. Green Hills is the epicenter of high-income for that area, and Hillsboro Pike from I-440 to Harding Pl. is gridlock hell.

I-24 has slightly worse traffic during rush-hour than I-65. Northbound in the morning & southbound in the evening. I'd recommend sticking to the I-65 corridor or the West End area if you can find something within your price range. Vandy & Belmont students take up a good chunk of housing in that area, though.

Since you're moving to a brand-new area, you could just rent a place for 6 months or a year & get to know what parts of town you like, and where the "invisible lines" are that separate one part of town from the next.

Here's a funny map that someone made. Is it true? In a general sense, but not absolute.

My :2cents: .

tumblr_myiqff4oGX1s4df8ko1_1280.png

Edited by NashvilleStage
  • Like 6

If you're just looking for crime statistics - Metro Nashville's county clerk has a neat map of criminal activity for the last 7 days - give it a look. Things tend to get more active as the weather warms up, so should be a neat watch for anyone that isn't familiar.

For rent a little more expensive, but a generally calmer area - I'd look to Donelson.

Antioch has a bad reputation, but it's not the worst area in the city (though it's probably in the top 5 worst and that's also highly dependant on which part you find yourself in as Antioch covers a large area). For the past couple of years Metro PD has stepped up their presence in the area, both marked and unmarked cars, and the past few years have seen a marked improvement. Still not good, but at least in my parent's corner - it feels like it's better than 2010. If I was picking, it wouldn't be my #1 option, but there are worse places in Davidson county.

Guest TresOsos

That maps pretty accurate...

Oh and there is a lot of new hipster/trustfund  housing being built downtown.

Edited by TresOsos

Wife has a former co-worker with a rental apartment in the Vanderbilt area.  Decent rate for the area as I recall but I believe it is small (wanting to say studio or one bedroom) albeit convenient.  I'm pretty sure it's rented through the Spring semester but we're about at the end of that.  PM if you think you might be interested and I'll make inquiries. 

[quote name="Dustbuster" post="1134538" timestamp="1396752750"]yes ljack, im in antioch myself was curious as to what part u were looking at.theres docile and wild areas.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, Hell yeah it ate my spelling!!! again!![/quote] Most if the rentals we'd be interested in were in the west Antioch/Brentwood border. Lenox village, Nolansville pike south if old hickory.
Lenox village area is ok, south of old hickory blvd fares well. N of OHB/ bell road and bell road by I 24 is hit or miss. Lenox village is pretty new and priced higher than most.It keeps a good crowd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

I'll be doing some contract work in the forestry industry so I'll be going all directions, but my wife is going to be in a residency program as a Dr at VUMC. We'll look. We are most likely going to use a realtor to help us find something. It's tough being in Knoxville and trying to find a place in Nashville.

https://www.facebook.com/wesalden

Wesley Willoughby. Friend of mine and a great realtor.

[quote name="QuietDan" post="1134665" timestamp="1396802815"]We are extremely happy in Smyrna. Killer commute for Vandy though . . .[/quote] Yeah. That's the tough part. There are a lot of good communities around but the commute to Vandy puts it unreachable. Plus she will have to be "on-call" some so it's not just about daily commute but being able to reach the hospital in a timely manner when called

What are the cost factors if you ditch one of two cars, pay the ransom, and just live right up next to Vandy? The old definition of a "Town House." And then, perhaps enough left over for a little place waaaaaay out . . .

A million years ago, attending MTSU, I got a room just off campus, and we kept our modest Nashville home. Got together on weekends, saved a ton of gas, rode a bike to class.

After a semester or two, put some of our stuff in storage, got an on-campus married student apartment and just gutted it out. It wasn't like it was forever, we met some nice folks we're still friends with, and we had the benefit of all the on-campus cultural stuff . . .

Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 1
[quote name="QuietDan" post="1134739" timestamp="1396817923"]What are the cost factors if you ditch one of two cars, pay the ransom, and just live right up next to Vandy? The old definition of a "Town House." And then, perhaps enough left over for a little place waaaaaay out . . .[/quote] We have to have two cars as I drive with work and our hours don't even come close to aligning. Plus one place is sufficient, just gotta find the right one. We are planning to rent year 1 and then try to buy a place.
  • Like 1

My aunt and uncle used to live in Antioch. It was o.k. until a Laotian gang moved in next door. They ate my aunt's Cocker Spaniel, and there were regular drive by shootings. They got the h311 out!

Last time we were at the zoo, we stopped by McDonalds. The black girl at the counter had to go into the back and get a Mexican girl to take my order because we couldn't understand each other.

I'm not making any of this up, nor embellishing it in any way.

Have you considered the Lebanon area, or maybe Old Hickory/Hermitage area? Your wife could catch the train to and from work. Id stay out of Davidson county at all costs.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1