2nd round hit at 944 yards

Superman

If I did it right, about 7/100ths of an inch?

edit: didnt do it right lol. And still may not have.

I get that a 6 ft person would appear 0.032" high at 1000 yds assuming a 16" sight radius.

Fixed error... oops. 

Edited by peejman

To give you an idea, here is what a steel target (close to silhouette size) looks like at roughly 1,000 through the spotting scope and then without.

Target is at end of clearing just as grass gets tall. 

http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o685/Milsurpfan/IMG_1514_zps24eba567.jpg

http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o685/Milsurpfan/SwissK311050yards_zpsff2ea897.jpg

Edited by Tempest455

I get that a 6 ft person would appear 0.003" high at 1000 yds assuming a 16" sight radius. That's like looking at a human hair end-on.

That was my first answer, maybe I was right before I "fixed" it. 

lets see, I did:

say man is 2 yards tall. (6 foot).

so  x = 2/1000

easy enough.  Back to inches, X3 feet X12 inches, 36.  2*36 is 72 with yer leading zeros, I called it 7/100. 

But I have no idea if that is even the right formula.

Edited by Jonnin

That was my first answer, maybe I was right before I "fixed" it. 

lets see, I did:

say man is 2 yards tall. (6 foot).

so  x = 2/1000

easy enough.  Back to inches, X3 feet X12 inches, 36.  2*36 is 72 with yer leading zeros, I called it 7/100. 

But I have no idea if that is even the right formula.

Heh... found a unit error above while working through this.  That's what I get doing math while sitting on the toilet...  :)

I used the arc length formula....  s = r * a  where s = arc length (straight line approximation is close enough in this case); r = radius; a = included angle in radians.

1000 yds / 2 yds = 0.002 rad (0.115 deg).   Same formula....  0.002 rad  * 16" sight radius = 0.032"   So a 6 ft target would appear 0.032" tall, if you could even see it at all through the mirage. 

Edited by peejman
It's really effing small. I've had the unpleasant experience of shooting Palma sights on a Remmy 700 on silhouette targets at 1000 meters. Even that was with a spotter. It is not easy. Beside the issue with it straining the limits of its accuracy, wind is not a constant value from barrel to target. A mid-range the wind may be going a completely different direction than what it is at target or 200m from your barrel. Couple that with a round that doesn't have a flat trajectory compared to all those sooper dooper sexy long range guns. And no, 7.62 x 54r does not have a flat trajectory. It just doesn't. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Gosh many interesting theories of what he actually did with the Nagant and I have no clue as to what those guns are capable of so won't say yea or nay as to what I believe cold be achieved with one. I do know there has been a few remarkable shots made by the modern day snipers shooting in the deserts of Iraq and Afghanistan. A few up to a mile with the Barret Rifles. They are documented shots made by some very good shooters with very good firearms. What was the main reason for those shots was it was Sniper against Sniper. I know what the Canadian Soldier was shooting which was the Barrett. I have no clue what his enemy was shooting but what ever it was it seemed to be a good gun with long range abilities and in the end it came down to who would be the one to make the mistake. Turned out to be the Taliban Sniper that died from his mistake. Here is a video of a sniper in action in Afghanistan. I have no clue how long these shots are but they are head shots because you see head parts and head turbans flying through the air after the shots. Click on picture and it will take you to my photo gallery to view it.

[url=http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc190/softbaitmaker/Misc/Videos/50cal.mp4]th_50cal.jpg[/URL]

Edited by bersaguy

Gosh many interesting theories of what he actually did with the Nagant and I have no clue as to what those guns are capable of so won't say yea or nay as to what I believe cold be achieved with one. I do know there has been a few remarkable shots made by the modern day snipers shooting in the deserts of Iraq and Afghanistan. A few up to a mile with the Barret Rifles. They are documented shots made by some very good shooters with very good firearms. What was the main reason for those shots was it was Sniper against Sniper. I know what the Canadian Soldier was shooting which was the Barrett. I have no clue what his enemy was shooting but what ever it was it seemed to be a good gun with long range abilities and in the end it came down to who would be the one to make the mistake. Turned out to be the Taliban Sniper that died from his mistake. Here is a video of a sniper in action in Afghanistan. I have no clue how long these shots are but they are head shots because you see head parts and head turbans flying through the air after the shots. Click on picture and it will take you to my photo gallery to view it.

th_50cal.jpg

This is NOT a video of snipers in Afghanistan despite what the email said. It is a guy who is hunting rock chucks with a 7mm Ultra mag. This video has been around forever and was debunked pretty early on.

It is actually a  excerpt from one of this guy's DVDs.

http://www.rmvh.com/Scenes.htm

Heh... found a unit error above while working through this.  That's what I get doing math while sitting on the toilet...  :)

I used the arc length formula....  s = r * a  where s = arc length (straight line approximation is close enough in this case); r = radius; a = included angle in radians.

1000 yds / 2 yds = 0.002 rad (0.115 deg).   Same formula....  0.002 rad  * 16" sight radius = 0.032"   So a 6 ft target would appear 0.032" tall, if you could even see it at all through the mirage. 

It's all fun and games until the engineer comes in and brings real numbers up.

You don't even need to use angles. Similar triangles would do the trick. Peejman's straight line approximations actually cancel out.

Edited by tnguy

They don't call me the party pooper for nothing...

You don't even need to use angles. Similar triangles would do the trick. Peejman's straight line approximations actually cancel out.

True dat.  If I was real nerdy (and had time), I'd figure out the difference between the arc length and straight line.  I suspect scientific notation would be involved. 

Fine.  FINE.  See what you made me do.... 

The difference between the arc length and straight line is 0.000004" for a 6 ft tall person.   That's 4 millionth of a inch.

• Like 1