maybe I AM a little paranoid/jumpy...

I was getting gas yesterday morning and got a little scare...

It takes a while to fill up the truck, so I had my earbuds in listening to an audiobook. I am pretty aware when I'm out and about, but not exactly code red...just my usually glancing around. I saw this black guy in a nice suit pull up to a pump across from me. He starts pumping his gas and goes and talks to a black lady directly across from me. I figured they knew each other, so I let him drop off my radar.

When my pump clicked, I rounded off the last 26 cents, removed the hose, and turned around to hang up the nozzle. This guy was right on top of me. I mean uncomfortably close and with his arm outstretched. I straightened my left hand, holding the nozzle, moved back a few steps, and reached in my pocket out of instinct. Apparently that scared him as much as he scared me, judging by his expression. Realistically, it probably only took 1.5 seconds to evaluate the situation, see he had nothing in his hands but a church pamphlet, and let it register that it was the same guy in the suit from earlier.

I pulled my hand out of my pocket and yanked my earbuds free as I hung up the nozzle and he apologized. He was trying to tap me on the shoulder to offer me a church bulletin and invite me to church. That explains being inside my "too damn close for comfort" circle. I told him "I'm good, you just scared all the Hell right out of me" but took one anyway, apologized for being so jumpy, and left.

I'm NOT EVER wearing earbuds in public again...he wouldn't have gotten that close otherwise. Next time, it might not be one of the good guys...lesson learned, but I should have known better to begin with.

• Like 5

Earbuds really do cut down on situational awareness. I get uncomfortable seeing as many people wearing them in public and in stores as I do. Most of those folks seem a lot more tunnel vision than the average sheep.

• Like 4

My 16 yo son was driving the car with me in it one night about 2-3 weeks ago and we pulled into a well lit gas station. I saw a guy with baggy pants walking toward the building like he was going in to pay or grab cigarettes as we pull up to the pump. As soon as we stopped, my son turned slightly to start opening the door and the guy was close enough to the car on his side that he could have grabbed the door handle.

Now, my son and I do go to IDPA matches occasionally so he is familiar with having a gun on his hip and drawing. So his first instinct upon seeing the guy was to reach around to his hip like he was going to draw a pistol. The guy immediately put his hands up, said sorry and backed off. He went about his business with no other suspicious moves, but he did hang out at the pump with a women in the passenger seat for longer than is normal. I was in the passenger seat with my shirt tail up JIC.

Obviously I was proud of my son for reacting so quickly. He obviously wasn't armed, but the guy didn't know that, and that movement was all it took to get him to abort whatever he was going to do. Could have been just ask for gas money, but he definitely got the idea.

• Like 3

Earbuds really do cut down on situational awareness. I get uncomfortable seeing as many people wearing them in public and in stores as I do. Most of those folks seem a lot more tunnel vision than the average sheep.

I see those same people all the time and I usually feel the same way. Even though I was paying attention (visually), I was concentrating on rounding up to the next dollar.  Add the earbuds to the equation and it only took a few seconds to miss something important. I was disappointed in myself to say the least.

I personally hate gas stations. I think you learned something valuable, that's for sure. I always try to stay aware, even more so here lately. One of my "favorite" gas stations to go to here in Columbia was robbed at gunpoint last week. It's well lit, and only a few feet off the main highway. I'm in there at least a couple times a week since it's only minutes from our home. Just shows you never know, that's why we carry
  • Like 2

I dont like gas stations either; and i damn sure don't like folks walkin up on me... I always try to fuel up at a grocery store type fueling place; but i know ya can always do that... I'm never not watchin...

leroy

Reminds me of a story i once heard about a guy a friend knew that got approached by someone with ill intent (don't recall him being armed but can't remember the exact circumstances) while he was pumping gas at his full service station. He pulled the pump out and pointed it at the guy with one hand and pulled a lighter out with the other. The assailant decided to run away. Edited by JWC
  • Like 1
[quote name="TGO David" post="1146879" timestamp="1399494419"]This came across my Facebook feed a while back and may have already been shared here, but it's relevant to this thread... [url="http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/04/26/former-navy-seal-on-the-one-piece-of-advice-you-need-to-protect-yourself/"]http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/04/26/former-navy-seal-on-the-one-piece-of-advice-you-need-to-protect-yourself/[/url][/quote] Saw that on fb the other day. Truer words have not been spoken

My Son in law and daughter are going to attend the HCP class the end of the month and we are going to be doing some range time. My Son-in-law has a grasp of what I have been trying to bestow on them before they go for the class and that is surroundings and awareness of them. My Daughter has a lot of her mother in her and it took me a long time to get it through my wifes head of being aware of what is taking place around you at all times. She is beginning to show signs of what I am trying to get in her head but still needs work. I should have her a lot closer by class time.

• Like 1

Exactly. I've never understood how people run or cycle with earbuds. They're oblivious to the world around them. I see that and it just screams "sneak up on me."
  • Like 2
I'll wear earbuds sometimes when I don't want to socialize with anyone. I don't even plug them in though, their really just to keep people from trying to talk with me at Walmart. :rolleyes: I also like letting the scammers looking for "gas money" think they've inconvenienced me by making me take them out while they give me their pitch. Most of the time I just start putting them back in and turn away mid way through the story without saying anything. Shuts them up and lets them know that I'm not buying it. Yeah its kind if a dick move, but so is trying to scam me out of my hard EARNED dough. Plus I would never be that rude to someone who wasn't obviously a meth/crack head.
  • Like 4

I'll wear earbuds sometimes when I don't want to socialize with anyone. I don't even plug them in though, their really just to keep people from trying to talk with me at Walmart. :rolleyes: I also like letting the scammers looking for "gas money" think they've inconvenienced me by making me take them out while they give me their pitch. Most of the time I just start putting them back in and turn away mid way through the story without saying anything. Shuts them up and lets them know that I'm not buying it. Yeah its kind if a dick move, but so is trying to scam me out of my hard EARNED dough. Plus I would never be that rude to someone who wasn't obviously a meth/crack head.

I just tell people no. If they do not understand the word after two responses, I offer to call the police and see if they have an interpreter available.

• Like 2

i learned to sign when my son was alive because he could not speak after his accident but he could sign and if someone starts to say something to me I will acknowledge they are their and I sign with question and they just walk away most times. I have only ran into one person that signed back with a reply to my question and had short conversation with people staring at us like were sprouted two head each........ :rock: :rock:

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1

When I am by myself, I am as polite as the situation allows. If my family is with me, there is no politeness involved in my response to anyone getting inside what I consider the "zone". These fake story tellers are a level of disgust I've yet to come up with a name for. 

I haven't had less than two trucks in so many years I can't remember. But 2 or 3 years ago, I stopped in the gas station across from Matco Tools on Murfreesboro Road in LaVergne while taking a break from hunting. A guy approached me in the middle of my lunch and gave me a story, so I gave him one back and continued eating. He stomped off in a hissy. A few days later I was in my other truck and again, came out of the woods for lunch and bathroom break. I guess he didn't recognize me since the vehicle was different and began his story. So I let him start the story and abruptly stopped him and finished his story. Wish y'all could have seen his face. I said "Don't ever come up to me again with that bullsh!t!" and he was gone, this time a little faster.

Glad yours turned out to be non threatening but like you said, it would make me more mad at myself for letting him get that close.

• Like 3
Guest Lowbuster
I was at walmart about 15 years ago when a woman approached me with one of those cards with sign language on them. It said she was deaf and would appreciate anything. I gave her a dollar and she smiled and went on her waybto the next person. I saw her later talking to a waiter at sagebrush steakhouse.I chalked ig up tonlesson learned and stayed quiet. A few days later, at sane Wal-Mart I saw her again approach a lady with her deaf cards.as I walked up behind her I said HEY!!! And the deaf lady jumped about 2 inches off th floorvand cursed at me. The lady that the deaf lady approached told me very loudly I should be ashamed for scaring her "deaf lady" like that. I said really? Apologized to her, and deaf lady says " its ok " the lady gave ger 10 dollars for a card. After she left, I reapproached the lady (that gave her money) and said if she was deaf, why did she jump, and reply to me? She looked like she didn't have a clue as I walked off.
This is why I don't give to many people.
I also, many years ago, saw a 20/20 episode on people who beg, one man in Atlanta said he made about 30k a year begging tax free.

I do something similar at work. When I'm at my desk I generally have my headphones on. Sometimes I'm listening to music, sometimes not. Interesting what you can hear when people think you're not listening.

I do something similar at work. When I'm at my desk I generally have my headphones on. Sometimes I'm listening to music, sometimes not. Interesting what you can hear when people think you're not listening.

That's hilarious, because I do something similar. I put one earbud in the ear facing people and tuck the other in my collar. They serve as protection against small talk when I need to get work done.

Edited by BigK

I got hit up with the "Fathers in the  ER and I just got off work and I need gas money" scam while getting in the car at the pizza hut. She was on me so quick I didn't even notice. Certainly takes you back to being watchful even in a parking lot.

I'm pretty much the same way, I've only done something for someone when they told me the truth and that was once. Was on 2nd Ave with some friends when a homeless dude asked us for a dollar, didn't give us a sob story, just said, "Man I just wanna beer." I said, "You sir were honest with me so I'll be honest with you, I have $3..." Pulled out my wallet with a GI Joe Kung Fu death grip and got the money from my wallet, " So I'll buy you a beer." I saluted his honesty with a forty that I bought for him. May seem like I was enabling an alcoholic, which let's be honest I was, but he was honest with me and didn't give me a story that would've made for a great hollywood film, felt like that in itself deserved some kind of reward as 99% of the other 'down and outs' I could have ran into would've fed me some stupid asshattery that only a geeked out meth-head could've come up with.

• Like 2

I'm pretty much the same way, I've only done something for someone when they told me the truth and that was once. Was on 2nd Ave with some friends when a homeless dude asked us for a dollar, didn't give us a sob story, just said, "Man I just wanna beer." I said, "You sir were honest with me so I'll be honest with you, I have $3..." Pulled out my wallet with a GI Joe Kung Fu death grip and got the money from my wallet, " So I'll buy you a beer." I saluted his honesty with a forty that I bought for him. May seem like I was enabling an alcoholic, which let's be honest I was, but he was honest with me and didn't give me a story that would've made for a great hollywood film, felt like that in itself deserved some kind of reward as 99% of the other 'down and outs' I could have ran into would've fed me some stupid asshattery that only a geeked out meth-head could've come up with.

I want a beer...
  • Like 1

I guess the best defense to anyone sneaking up on you( or trying to) is to be very aware of your surroundings. I've fallen for the " need to get my kids something for christmas but i have no $, no job", scam before. but that was well before getting my HCP and becomming more self aware. It hasn't happened again. Sure there are the ever present "person in need" at the walmart parking lot entrance, but it seems there is never a shortage of those folks. I can see someone needing help from time to time, but there are various charities and groups out there that gladly offer assistance to those in need. Unless "those in need" are looking for $ to fund their drug habit or just want the public to feel sorry for them and give.

I've been laid off, lost my job, yet i still found a way to make ends meet and move on without asking for assistance( aside from unemployment benefits). But Begging, that I won't do.

• Like 1
Guest Lowbuster

I guess the best defense to anyone sneaking up on you( or trying to) is to be very aware of your surroundings. I've fallen for the " need to get my kids something for christmas but i have no $, no job", scam before. but that was well before getting my HCP and becomming more self aware. It hasn't happened again. Sure there are the ever present "person in need" at the walmart parking lot entrance, but it seems there is never a shortage of those folks. I can see someone needing help from time to time, but there are various charities and groups out there that gladly offer assistance to those in need. Unless "those in need" are looking for $ to fund their drug habit or just want the public to feel sorry for them and give.

I've been laid off, lost my job, yet i still found a way to make ends meet and move on without asking for assistance( aside from unemployment benefits). But Begging, that I won't do.

I don't give to many charities. I've known a few situations where a sorry excuse for a parent made too much money and charities wouldn't help. Its sad but true.