Question for roofers

We'll be having a new roof installed/replaced before too long, and I have a question about shingles.

While I'm sure we could pay an additional fee for whichever shingle we want, the contractor brought a couple samples for me to take a look at. 

One of the samples is GAF Timberline, and the other is CertainTeed Landmark. For those with experience, would you recommend one over the other? 

Thank you in advance.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
[quote name="vontar" post="1147500" timestamp="1399677197"]On this subject, any TGO members own or work for a roofing company in East TN?[/quote] I don't own or work for one but we have several we use as subcontractors. Pm me a more specific location (I'm on tapatalk right now) and I can get you a few that we have had success with. Edited by Parrothead

I had my roof done with the Certain Teed Landmark 30 year shingles about five years ago. Had my new detached garage done with them

too. My  Brother is a builder and recommended them to me. Most of the bids I got on my roof were for 20 year shingles. The Certain Teed were offered

as a upgraded product from many Companies. Two of my neighbors went with the same set up after seeing mine.

Edited by R1100R
I'm still trying to get a grasp on the convoluted warranties. I haven't had a chance to get online to read the fine print, but it's beginning to appear as if the warranties are a bit more useless than they'd like you to believe.

Both shingle samples claim "lifetime warranty". The CertainTeed sample states 10 year SureStart Protection, 10 year StreakFighter Warranty, 130 MPH Wind Warranty. The GAF Timberline board goes into much less detail; only mentioning a Lifetime Roofing System Warranty.

Based on the little research I've had time to do, the warranties are only valid if you use a roofer who's been certified through the specific manufacturer, and specific materials are used during the installation. I'm obviously not an expert, but I don't recall ever seeing roofers use anything other than tar paper and shingles. I think both of these shingle manufacturers require the use of multiple layers of specific barrier protection products to be used if you want to take advantage of the warranties.
  • Like 1
A quick search revealed GAF can be purchased at home depot...so they are selling as a DIY product. The "certified" installer clause is an escape clause, along with the underlayment requirements. My guess is shingles don't fail, it is installation error so retain a competent contractor

To reiterate what Dolomite said, after losing shingles in the wind, I went with a metal roof and have been very happy with it.  The roofer did remove the shingles before installation.  He said it had to do with the metal roof warranty but it's good that he did as some of the plywood underneath needed replacement.  Everything included, it was still cheaper than shingles.

• Like 1
Just went through this same ordeal. We used Nashville roofing and they did a great job. After researching we went with the Certain Teed Landmark as well. I will say that the color you pick is just as important. I have zero design taste and just had some cheep grey contractor roofing done years ago. Last year after a lot of storm damage we had to have it replaced. My wife does kitchen and bath design and was in charge of picking color. She went with a darker, browner sort of color and holy moly man does it look amazing. It makes such a difference in the overall look of the home. I think the Certain Teed is the better shingle, but matching the color with the house, whether it is brick or siding, is just as important.

I had my lake house done in a metal roof and it leaked. Also lost a metal roof due to the high winds during storm season. I also did a roof in fiberglass which was very expensive but held up very well. So there are pluses and minuses to both. I have had better luck with shingles. It is not always cheaper doing metal, it depends on many factors. For my current house metal was three times the price when using metal shingles and twice for the long seam transitional.

My Certain Teed roof was designer dimensional shingles and added a great look to the house.

A good contractor goes a long way whether you use  shingles or metal, ask for addresses to see samples of the work.

I used http://www.genesisroofing.net/  they do commercial and residential roofing in all materials. Great people and they are based in Hendersonville and they cover 12 States. Can answer all your questions on roofs at no cost.

Edited by R1100R
Guest Lester Weevils

My wife does kitchen and bath design and was in charge of picking color. She went with a darker, browner sort of color and holy moly man does it look amazing. It makes such a difference in the overall look of the home. I think the Certain Teed is the better shingle, but matching the color with the house, whether it is brick or siding, is just as important.

My old house, added quite a bit of insulation, new winders, siding with foam underneath. It is cheep to heat but spensive to cool. When we get roof done in next month or two, I want to get as light colored a roof that the wife will put up with. Don't care about looks if it will save a bit on the air conditioner bill. A roofer doing estimate said that actual white roofs are difficult to install so they look good. Color matching issues and they get smudged just walking on em during install. Even I would consider a white roof too ugly with our light grayish siding, but am hoping a light gray will be cheaper to cool than the current fairly dark gray, though dark gray would look better.

go with the metal.  it will last longer.  i grew up in a house with a tin roof.  my dad grew up in the same house with the same roof.  the house is still standing at the farm with the same roof.  does not leak.  the last time it had any paint on it was on 1970.  so it does not look good now.  it is rust color.  i was up on it last week and it is still solid.  so the metal roof over the old roof is the way to go.  they got several colors now that will make your house look good.  a there is nothing like sleeping in a house with a tin roof when it is raining.  

• Like 2

I think the key to metal roofing is to ensure you have enough screws, especially around the edges. And then use the correct screws that have gaskets without over tightening the screws. My wife and I installed our own roof over the course of a few days. It wasn't easy but it wasn't that difficult either. The only time we have had a leak is when we hired a contractor to add an addition to our house. That area leaked like a sieve 2-3 times until they got it fixed.

• Like 1

My old house, added quite a bit of insulation, new winders, siding with foam underneath. It is cheep to heat but spensive to cool. When we get roof done in next month or two, I want to get as light colored a roof that the wife will put up with. Don't care about looks if it will save a bit on the air conditioner bill. A roofer doing estimate said that actual white roofs are difficult to install so they look good. Color matching issues and they get smudged just walking on em during install. Even I would consider a white roof too ugly with our light grayish siding, but am hoping a light gray will be cheaper to cool than the current fairly dark gray, though dark gray would look better.

Good ventilation is a key in the roof. We had all old venting and doghouses removed. New ridge venting and side vents. It has been great.
  • Like 1

I just had my roof redone.....

I used 30 year Malarkey Brand shingles,thicker then HomeDepot stuff and priced better

6 nails per single ,ridge vents the whole 9 yards,...I am pleased so far

Metal roofs fade,after 15 20 years you have a dull roof and powder coating can chalk and break down

like alum siding....not a bad option but when it comes to roofs nothings lasts forever

+1 on metal roofing. I have used Cornerstone Roofing out of Knoxville. My contact there was Monte, he treated us right and did an excellent job. They did my house, barn, rental house & business after the hail storm a few years ago.

Guest Lester Weevils

Good ventilation is a key in the roof. We had all old venting and doghouses removed. New ridge venting and side vents. It has been great.

Yeah, we put in ridge vents already as well. After all the improvements that AC energy bill went down for a couple of years. Had a couple of big maples that shaded about the whole roof for all afternoon. But then the maples looked healthy but randomly starting dropping big limbs. We got the tree man to deadwood the maples and take off anything looked dodgy, lo and behold dropped another big limb a month later. Wasn't the tree man's fault, the dropped limbs looked as healthy and green as you please. So we got those two maples cut, sun hits the roof all hot afternoon, and the AC bill went way up immediately.

when it comes to roofs nothings lasts forever

This stuff will get you a few years down the road...

tile.jpg

Slate is also in use on several roofs that are hundreds of years old.

Edited by tnguy
Guest Lester Weevils

Have wondered why terra cotta roof is so rare in TN. I'm not well travelled, but the first time flying in over Seattle. From the air it looked like just about the whole dang city was roofed with terra cotta 

[quote name="Lester Weevils" post="1148145" timestamp="1399910024"]Have wondered why terra cotta roof is so rare in TN. I'm not well travelled, but the first time flying in over Seattle. From the air it looked like just about the whole dang city was roofed with terra cotta [/quote] Because its crazy expensive

I have friends that have a terra cotta roof. It has been major repairs twice in 25 years. I think too much shade. Moss grows on the tiles and they get soft. Our church has a slate roof. Built in 1960 and is getting close to needing major repairs. For years it has occasionally lost a piece of slate that had to be replaced, but the hailstorm a couple of years ago really hurt it. If you don't mind the look of it, go metal .