LEO Patch on Civilian Clothing?

I am looking for an opinion/legality of something.

Last year a close friend of mine was struck and killed while on duty in Jackson Mississippi. His wife has given me some of his duty items, including a patch from his uniform with the JPD seal on it.

I would like to sew this patch onto my leather jacket on the lower front, behind the pocket (the 9:30-10:00 o'clock position) in memorial of him. For anyone familiar with the SOA TV show, this is the same position they put the "Opie' patch. Bruce and I were both avid fans of the show.

What I am curious of is the legality of such a move. Obviously I am not in Jackson Mississippi, but I don't want it to be mistaken that I am impersonating a LEO. I think the positioning would be obvious, given that it would be on a leather motorcycle jacket. 

Opinions, experience thoughts?

Thanks!

I know several departments including the state that considers badges department property. I don't think you would have any trouble placing the patch where you mentioned. I cannot give an informed legal opinion on this but I am sure this has been done many times before in one form or another.

I personally think that is an awesome way to honor the memory of your friend!!!

• Like 1
Folks wear NYPD patches all the time in remembrance of 9/11. Don't see why wearing your buddy's would be different or in what scenario an LEO would give you a hard time. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
Of course, IANAL but I doubt very highly anyone makes an issue with it. Aside from the possibility that it is department property (and even then I would be willing to bet money they would approve wholeheartedly) I can't see it being any kind of legal issue unless you try using it in a manner that would lead a reasonable person to believe you were acting in a LE capacity.

I think that's an excellent way to remember your friend. Sorry for your loss.
  • Like 3

I posted about it when it happened last year. Bruce Jacob was a great man who was taken too soon, but he was a true servant of the people following his calling. They had two services, I attended the closed service for family. I met many of his brothers and sisters in blue and it was amazing to hear some of the stories.

In March we took our annual vacation, and his widow came with us. We went up to the overlook on the Tail of the Dragon and spread his ashes.

It is fair to say that he touched many lives in a positive fashion.

I think his only regret would be that he was taken out by an inattentive driver as opposed to going John McClane on some international terrorists.

The patch is from Mississippi, you are in Kentucky and the question is posed on a Tennessee board. The only law I can think of (other than some agency claiming ownership) that would affect you would be impersonating a Police Officer. That term gets thrown around a lot, but I think you will find that in most states that requires intent, not simply wearing something.

I think you will be fine, just don’t accept any free donuts. biggrin.gif