I saw some dude open carrying today.

• 1 month later...

Saturday I had a trip to Martin and went by Rural King, then onto Wal-Mart.  I've noted on this forum that every time I've been to Rural King, I see Open-Carry.  Thus, I went with an Open-Carry of my Glock 17.  Generally, I just untuck my shirt since I OWB carry.  Go through Rural King, grab a couple of items, one being a 50 pound bag of chicken feed.  Had a couple of looks, no comments; I left nothing negative.  Then onto Wal-Mart, there I untucked my shirt and covered my weapon.  Martin is a college town and more likely to have a negative encounter in that Wal-Mart vs. Rural King.  I go to the front door and out walks a man open-carrying.  I keep to my plan and keep my weapon concealed and go about my business. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I saw guy with tucked in shirt, OWB Glock and OWB 2 spare mags in locker room at the Y in 'Nooga the other day.

Pretty brazen since they have policy of no guns/knives (but not posted). But maybe a plainclothes LEO (or not) and had sports coat still to put on or something.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest Wildogre

At Krogers in Donaldson yesterday saw a guy with what appeared to be a Glock 19 in a Blackhawk Serpa wearing one of those bright green shirts. Saw him as I was walking in but did not see him again while I was in the store.

Guest princeshoko

Spoke to my post master  and he says the post office is not federal properties and they are not federal employees that they are in fact a private business. He got very upset when I called him a federal worker.  

I always thought it was federal.  I have no clue now after this passionate argument by the guy in charge of my local area. 

Edited by princeshoko

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/concealed-carry-post-office-may-lead-rude-awakening

big discussion about the Post Office carry

Guess it boils down to how it became an issue.

Spoke to my post master  and he says the post office is not federal properties and they are not federal employees that they are in fact a private business. He got very upset when I called him a federal worker.  

I always thought it was federal.  I have no clue now after this passionate argument by the guy in charge of my local area.

That may be true if he is a Village Post Office, but the USPS is part of the Federal government and their employees are federal employees.

Guess it boils down to how it became an issue.

That may be true if he is a Village Post Office, but the USPS is part of the Federal government and their employees are federal employees.

While the USPS's existence guaranteed by the Constitution, in 1971 the USPS became an independent agency of the government and is neither taxpayer funded nor under direct governmental control. USPS employees do not work for the federal government.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Postal_Service Edited by peejman

I saw guy with tucked in shirt, OWB Glock and OWB 2 spare mags in locker room at the Y in 'Nooga the other day.

Pretty brazen since they have policy of no guns/knives (but not posted). But maybe a plainclothes LEO (or not) and had sports coat still to put on or something.

- OS

So if you're a member of the Y in one city, you can use the Y everywhere?

So if you're a member of the Y in one city, you can use the Y everywhere?

Seems most of the ones in TN are reciprocal, up to a certain number of visits per year anyway. Doesn't seem to be totally consistent policy state wide or even Y to Y, might only be regional within the state too, not sure. But yeah, Nooga gives ya something like 15 freebies a year if you are member in Knox, couple bucks per after that, but they never kept up with it, usually go over 20 times.

But since I became official geezer, my Advantage Plan has free Silver Sneakers card which all the Y's take (plus most other gyms too), so I just use that rather than relying on my Knox membership (which also uses the card, so it started saving me 50 clams a month). Any place that takes it get whatever per visit, so they get more money that way.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I know it's getting a little dated, and as others have said the PO parking lot ruling would only apply directly to US court district 10. I think it's important to note that the ruling specifically cites Avon, CO's post office as one which does not deliver mail. The plaintiff had no choice but to disarm if he wanted to receive or send mail. That's a very specific situation that's not common at most PO locations around here. I doubt that even in District 10 states that the ruling would be broadly applied to all PO parking lots. It's a fairly narrow ruling, AIUI.