Dog attack while jogging

TMF

First, let me say that I'm a dog lover. Most problem dogs aren't the problem; just like problem children. It's almost always the trashy, dirtbag parents. I have a route I run regularly, and have to pass by this house in order to get to that route, as I live in a no outlet neighborhood. This person regularly lets her dogs run loose despite hollering loudly at their dogs to get them to back off while they're chasing me down the road. They're not overly big dogs, but that isn't the point. Also, I jog with my dog, who happens to be highly trained and will ignore stimuli from other dogs. So they've been a nuisance in the past, but today one of them was able to lunge and connect with the ankle of my dog. I kicked at it and it let go before I could give it a good boot, but now I have the issue of wondering what kind of diseases this dog carries, since obviously the owners does not take care of her pets. I don't understand why it is so hard for people to secure their pets. This is a neighborhood, not a trailer park. Beyond the issue of wondering if their dog will attack passersby, how about worrying about your dog getting run over??? I don't get these folks. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
I hate it for the pooch but you should call animal control and have it picked up for testing. They may opt to destroy the animal which is a shame, but if you have real concerns and blood was drawn it is the safest bet IMO. Id also advise that you have words with the owner, but I'm sure that's on your to do list already.
  • Like 1

The first thing this makes me think of is how I would want to Baxter punt the dog off a bridge.  Like I said that is the first thought and wouldn't carry through with it.  Actions are louder than words, the owner either doesn't know or doesn't care... sounds like the latter of the two.  Poor dog.

Does your neighborhood have leash laws? We have them here were I live and for many years I kept the Queen on a running cable 80 feet long and 25 foot off cable giving hear room to roam yet still be attached to the 80 foot cable. Now since she has gotten up in years and knows where her yard is during the day she is loose but at night is back on cable. If Joggers come by the house on the street she barks without ever getting up because that requires more effort than joggers deserve according to he thoughts I guess. Chasing a jogger is out of question for her. Entirely to much effort............ :rofl:  I would see if there is a leash law and if there is I would report the owners. I would find out if their dogs have had their shots and get my dog checked out by vet and send them the bill and take legal action against them if they didn't pay it................jmho

I've been on both sides of that coin.  My dog once bit a neighbor's dog.  The neighbor was walking her dog on a 30 ft lead and let it come into our yard.  My dog got it while still within the boundary of the "bury the wire" dog fence.  That dog required a couple stitches at my expense (as it should be).

A few years later, another neighbors dog bolted after mine and tore a nice gash in my dog.  My dog got about 12 stitches at their expense and the owner got a couple nice raspberries from being jerked to the concrete by the leash. 

As for that dog...   If your dog was injured, I'd talk about that with the owner.  Else, I'd blast 'em with OC spray.  They usually learn pretty quick. 

Does your neighborhood have leash laws?

The state of TN has a leash law.  Dogs are not permitted to "run at large".

Edited by peejman

I've been on both sides of that coin.  My dog once bit a neighbor's dog.  The neighbor was walking her dog on a 30 ft lead and let it come into our yard.  My dog got it while still within the boundary of the "bury the wire" dog fence.  That dog required a couple stitches at my expense (as it should be).

A few years later, another neighbors dog bolted after mine and tore a nice gash in my dog.  My dog got about 12 stitches at their expense and the owner got a couple nice raspberries from being jerked to the concrete by the leash. 

As for that dog...   If your dog was injured, I'd talk about that with the owner.  Else, I'd blast 'em with OC spray.  They usually learn pretty quick. 

The state of TN has a leash law.  Dogs are not permitted to "run at large".

Didn't know that. We always had dogs running loose on our ranch when I was kid growing up. Some for hunting Beagles and some to work stock. Blue Heelers and English shepherds and was never an issue. Thanks for the up date............. :up:  :up: 

[quote name="bersaguy" post="1154702" timestamp="1401731719"]Didn't know that. We always had dogs running loose on our ranch when I was kid growing up. Some for hunting Beagles and some to work stock. Blue Heelers and English shepherds and was never an issue. Thanks for the up date............. :up: :up: [/quote] Same for my family; still do, but the country is a lot different than a residential neighborhood with several thousand people. I considered doing the grown up thing and going to her door to have a chat. I have no issues with that. Problem is, I have a lifetime of experience with trashy people. A common thread with those types is narcism, entitlement and lack of respect for the law. Knowing that the type of person that lets their dogs run loose in the neighborhood doesn't care enough about the safety of her own pets or the people around her indicates they are going to fit the trashy mold. So I showed up at her house with one Clarksville's finest. She'll also be getting a visit from animal control. I exchanged some words with her as she attempted to minimize the situation. She said that she always had them locked up, which is obviously a lie, as this isn't the first time her dogs have aggressed us on a run. I explained to her that she was lying, which upset her. Then I explained that all she has to do is lock them up; it's that easy. She then told me that it's just "dogs being dogs". That was a very expensive mistake to make. She is going to have some hefty vet bills. I'm having my dog tested for everything. From now on I'm just gonna take my Kimber pepper blaster and shoot the first one that chases me down the road. I guess the onus is on me to teach dogs appropriate behavior since their owners are oxygen thieving sacks of skin that should be ground up into fertilizer. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many moons ago, I was delivering a pizza to woman in a really nice neighborhood. As I got within 5' of the front door, a 120+ lb Rottweiler came around the corner of the house toward me. He/she got a snoot full of pepper spray and ran back around the house. The lady who answered the door smelled the lingering odor and asked me if I could smell it too. All I cared about was getting a tip, so I played dumb.

Point is, she knew her big a$$ dog was loose and knew I was coming to her house, yet did nothing to ensure my security or that of her dog.

I hope those vet bills teach your neighbor a lesson, but she may just ignore the bills and stiff the vet. She sounds like the type that would have to be taken to court to force her to accept responsibility.

Edited by BigK
  • Like 1
[quote name="BigK" post="1154733" timestamp="1401734864"] I hope those vet bills teach your neighbor a lesson, but she may just ignore the bills and stiff the vet. She sounds like the type that would have to be taken to court to force her to accept responsibility.[/quote] I'm thinking I'll just take her to court. I'll see how the cop writes up the report. He didn't seem too enthusiastic to be there. I get that it was a lame BS call, but it needed to happen. I'm tired of trashy people who have no respect for others expecting everyone else to tip toe around them so they can continue being douche canoes. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[quote name="peejman" post="1154682" timestamp="1401729499"]I've been on both sides of that coin. My dog once bit a neighbor's dog. The neighbor was walking her dog on a 30 ft lead and let it come into our yard. My dog got it while still within the boundary of the "bury the wire" dog fence. That dog required a couple stitches at my expense (as it should be). [/quote] Several folks around the neighborhood obviously have the underground fences. Still makes me a little nervous when taking the kids for walks, as one of them is a rather large German shepherd that likes to run full bore up the the edge of his line before breaking off. I keep mine on a 6ft lead, but she's right into me on my left side when we walk or run. She's one of those dogs trained how to properly behave on a leash. These dogs will come out into the road and chase us for a full block usually. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking I'll just take her to court. I'll see how the cop writes up the report. He didn't seem too enthusiastic to be there. I get that it was a lame BS call, but it needed to happen. I'm tired of trashy people who have no respect for others expecting everyone else to tip toe around them so they can continue being douche canoes. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lame BS call it may be but it's exactly the kind of thing cops should be doing.

I'd also say that you've done your tolerance bit and now this dog has proven itself physically aggressive, all bets are off in future. I'm a dog lover too but there's a line to draw.

Edited by tnguy

Several folks around the neighborhood obviously have the underground fences. Still makes me a little nervous when taking the kids for walks, as one of them is a rather large German shepherd that likes to run full bore up the the edge of his line before breaking off. I keep mine on a 6ft lead, but she's right into me on my left side when we walk or run. She's one of those dogs trained how to properly behave on a leash. These dogs will come out into the road and chase us for a full block usually. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fine print on those fences have a disclaimer stating that some dogs can run right through it. That's why I didn't get one for my Rotty.

• Like 1

The fine print on those fences have a disclaimer stating that some dogs can run right through it. That's why I didn't get one for my Rotty.

I maxed out a shock collar around my American Bulldog's neck trying to get her to quit being aggressive at the dog on the other side of our privacy fence. She didn't even feel it when she was all worked up. Scary, cause I tried in myself first and it freakin hurt.

Edited by BigK

First, I am not a dog person!  Second, I have never had this problem, and when growing up, I use to ride a lot bicycle and have seen a many of aggressive on the loose dogs!  There are many ways to avoid or solve the problems!   

Love dogs, but if one attacks me or my family (dogs included) that will be the last day that dog ever sees sunlight.  I would also have zero animosity towards the person if one of our dogs did that to someone and they did what they had to do.

People seem to forget that even though dogs are great to have and mostly obedient and loyal, they are animals and if that switch flips in their head, there is very little you can do to stop it.

• Like 1

& once they make it through they will not come back because it shocks them the same if they try to come back in.

[quote name="Runco" post="1154797" timestamp="1401745439"]First, I am not a dog person! Second, I have never had this problem, and when growing up, I use to ride a lot bicycle and have seen a many of aggressive on the loose dogs! There are many ways to avoid or solve the problems! [/quote] Like what? Not running? Sorry, I shouldn't have to tip toe around people who don't follow the rules. I'd rather enjoy my freedom and crush people who try and stand in the way of it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
On private property it is fine as long as they stay on private property. If you have the dogs picked up and they haven't had a rabies vaccination, they will be held at the owners expense for either 10 or 14 days in quarantine. The other option for the neighbor is to let animal control kill said dog and send the head off for testing. This is bad for the dog if the owner chooses this. Most bad owners do. Dog bites are taken very seriously in TN. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......
In my experience, rabies observation or testing is not usually done for animal on animal bites; only human exposure.

The main thing to worry about is the infection from the dog bite; it can abscess and get bad a few days after the bite.
I like dogs, but carry a gun for protection. All an animal has to do is come after me when I'm where I'm allowed to be and I will protect myself. I know I'm going to catch some flack for this but I'm too old, fat and lazy to run or let an improperly restrained animal try and use me for a freaking chew toy. I've sern the results of too many maulings around here. Had 2 dogs kill a rooster in my yard just the other day, they'd be dead but it was night and I was not in any danger. Bad enough I had to watch it on my security cameras.

As a bicyclist, I have had the same problem with dogs chasing me. Instead of pepper spray( which if the wind is right it will affect you as well), I filled a water bottle up with water and ammonia( squirt at the eyes of the offending dogs and they'll leave you alone.

Please note, do not drink that bottle. ( I usually have a camelbak filled with water when i ride a long trip).