TWD Season 5

Anyone else notice they for the little fact that a 'Nado came down through there and took out the baddies but didn't touch the barn?  They talked about how GOD sent the rain when they needed it but never hit on what knocked down all those trees.

They may get into that next week. So far Sasha and Maggie are the only ones who have seen the downed trees, but I suspect they'll be preoccupied with the L.L. Bean cannibal.

L.L. Bean cannibal... So funny. He was awful clean for a zombie apocalypse to be taking place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not completely understanding what some of you guys are wanting... 

For me, the character developments are the most intriguing thins about the show. As someone said early on, it's not really a show about zombies, but how humans might react, adapt and survive in an apocalypse scenario.

I'm not completely understanding what some of you guys are wanting... 

For me, the character developments are the most intriguing thins about the show. As someone said early on, it's not really a show about zombies, but how humans might react, adapt and survive in an apocalypse scenario.

I don't disagree with you on this.  I have enjoyed the evolution of the story. But it does tend to drag and loose direction. This is a tv show...not life.

So I expect to be entertained if not just blown away by it.

And lately, it's not doing either. At least for me.

The big draw in season 1 and in the sporadic "good" episodes ever since then is fear. The viewer experiences that when a character in whom we're invested or the group as a whole is in danger. The bridge scene in this week's episode had the zombies, but I felt no fear. It's just rote skull-stabbing, not unlike clearing the fences at the prison. Even when Sasha went rogue I didn't really feel drawn in to any kind of fear. They set up some fear well with the Zs attacking the barn door during the storm. That was cool. I thought they were going to bust through the door and start a big melee brawl for survival, so imagine my let down when we instantly go from "OMG! I'm slipping in the dirt trying to hold this door closed against the wind and an army of the undead!" to everyone's asleep with early morning light streaming in and birds chirping. WTH? It was a good setup, but only 10 seconds of potential fear. I say potential because they keep doing crap like that so even when they do a good setup for what should make me be afraid for them, I'm not because it all has a reasonably high chance of turning out to be much ado about nothing.

That fear is what made Breaking Bad such a good show. The viewer is in fear for someone important in nearly every episode. Often times that tension ran the entire episode with only a few pressure-reliefs with some dark comedy but the tension overall mounted as the episode went one, then left you wanting for more. TWD writers need to figure out how to do that again. They did it in S1 and I think they can do it again. Right now I get to the end of a TWD episode and think that overall it was alright and I'll watch next week too, but I don't want to watch next week's show the way I used to.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

The big draw in season 1 and in the sporadic "good" episodes ever since then is fear. The viewer experiences that when a character in whom we're invested or the group as a whole is in danger. The bridge scene in this week's episode had the zombies, but I felt no fear. It's just rote skull-stabbing, not unlike clearing the fences at the prison. Even when Sasha went rogue I didn't really feel drawn in to any kind of fear. They set up some fear well with the Zs attacking the barn door during the storm. That was cool. I thought they were going to bust through the door and start a big melee brawl for survival, so imagine my let down when we instantly go from "OMG! I'm slipping in the dirt trying to hold this door closed against the wind and an army of the undead!" to everyone's asleep with early morning light streaming in and birds chirping. WTH? It was a good setup, but only 10 seconds of potential fear. I say potential because they keep doing crap like that so even when they do a good setup for what should make me be afraid for them, I'm not because it all has a reasonably high chance of turning out to be much ado about nothing.

That fear is what made Breaking Bad such a good show. The viewer is in fear for someone important in nearly every episode. Often times that tension ran the entire episode with only a few pressure-reliefs with some dark comedy but the tension overall mounted as the episode went one, then left you wanting for more. TWD writers need to figure out how to do that again. They did it in S1 and I think they can do it again. Right now I get to the end of a TWD episode and think that overall it was alright and I'll watch next week too, but I don't want to watch next week's show the way I used to.

Well said, m-l. I don't completely agree with your assessment, but we are close enough for gov't work any way. lol

Some better writing to help with the "fear factor" would be nice. Of course that goes hand in hand. Better writing. better characterizations, better plot, more fear of the elemental point of the story.

And perhaps a little more situational realism?

And for heavens' sake someone get these people a property master for the weapons who can do something with the actors. OK short rant over.

Edited by hipower

I'm hopeful that having them on the road again will bring about more of those fear moments.

What I'm not quite understanding is what their goal is. I know they're going to Washington, but why? What do they expect to find? Other than it being the nation's capitol and home to bunkers for VIPs, what makes it special? I know right now they're desperate to find any hope of civilization, but I would think that Atlanta, Woodbury and Terminus would make them think at this point that they'd be better off setting up something on their own like they had at the prison for a while and at the farm before that (though that was more dumb luck than planning). I'd think they'd be better off looking for a military installation than another big city. Kings Bay is close'ish to Atlanta (closer than DC) with plenty of secure areas and hardened buildings, plus food, fuel, and military grade vehicles, weapons, and comm gear. 

Obviously military bases would be popular with refugees so there'd be plenty of Zs. Also popular with surviviors so it could be a busy place. They could instead go low-tech and find an old fort like Fort Pulaski near Tybee Island. Something like that would be more compact and easier for a small group to secure and hold. Similar to the prison but without being, you know, a prison. Then farm the courtyard and fish the channel. Bonus.....it's on an island! Or better yet, try for Fort Clinch on Amelia Island in Florida which provides a short boat ride to Kings Bay. Short enough that it could be done in kayaks if needed. Nice and quiet and no fuel required. Plenty of fresh water near either fort for filtering.

I guess I'm thinking they should be looking for a good place to setup their own society again instead of searching for one already made. The prison was a good idea and it worked. It would have kept working if it wasn't for the governor. Maybe we're far enough past Patient Zero that there aren't any more good secure locations still intact, not overrun with Zs and not claimed by unfriendly survivors.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

IIRC, they said stuff about Ft. Benning in S1 or S2. Seems like they came across someone who said it was gone, but I can't recall. However, that was a long time ago at this point in the time line. Atlanta was overrun too, but now it's a ghost town. Maybe Benning is the same way. If so, it's likely a place to score some beans and bullets unless it has already been picked over, which is also likely.

The last things I remember about Ft. Benning is that the group split up after the quarry, with some going to Ft. Benning and Rick's group going to the CDC.  Shane wanted to go to Ft. Benning.  After the CDC, they decided to head to Ft. Benning, but Sophia got lost at the traffic stall, which ultimately lead to the farm, which ultimately lead to the prison, which ultimately lead to Terminus.  Hershel might still have a head if Sophia had just stayed put.

Justification for going to DC?  At this point, they have tried the other three options, went back to Atlanta and found it basically a ghost town, so now they cling to hope that if there was anywhere civilization could survive, it would be the city with the combination of military assets and continuity of government mechanisms.  Personally, I think it is the mental, emotional, and physical exhaustion wearing them down to a sheep-like mentality (despite their hard-won survival experience).  Everyone was so dejected when they learned Eugene was lying, and now they are lying to themselves that there has got to be something better.  I actually think the actors are doing a good job of playing dirty, exhausted, barely surviving people in these last few episodes.  They look despondent, and the slower pace of the episodes match the mood.  

Also, I understand why they mistrusted the water, since nearly every other group of survivors they meet has tried to kill them, but I would have poured out the water, wash the containers with rain, and then let them fill with rain.  Even if poisoned, dilution is the solution to pollution.

I can't understand where they are getting the gas for all the vehicles they are driving. I think in reality, the gas would be really bad after so long of sitting in an automobiles tank. They're having trouble now finding food and water, but the vehicles just keep on running? 

• Like 1

Within the time frame of the show, it has only been like 1-2 years, I think.  I'm sure someone on the internet has an exact time frame.  But, yeah, they need to start acknowledging the fact by at least having some difficulty starting a car or something.  I believe the closest that they have come was when they had to find a new battery for the mini van.  

I suspect the vast majority of Americans realize that batteries go dead if unused, but less people realize that gas goes bad.  I imagine a much smaller subset of people (although still a significant number) have had a reason to store gas.  In other words, those people who care what Kim Kardashian is wearing probably have only used gas fresh from the pump.

I think Monkeylizard has pointed out exactly what I don't like about the walking dead, the absence of fear.

Come on producers this is a horror show about zombies, scare me!  I always thought the plot was just too slow, and it needed to move along.  But its the complete lack of adrenaline with these characters.

The concept of puncturing the skull easily with a knife is getting to me as well.

Duct tape a phone book to your forearms, add a couple $5 flea market boot knives and you are a tank? 

• Like 1

Yep, or skip the phone books and rig up some football pads, some soccer shin guards on your arms and legs, and you're good to go. Kind of like Glenn's riot gear, but lighter. No need to stop heavy impacts, just teeth. Toss in a hockey neck-guard and you're pretty much zombie proof. Hot in the summer, sure, but you could kit up when you have to face them if you keep good sight lines.

Edited by monkeylizard

Yep, or skip the phone books and rig up some football pads, some soccer shin guards on your arms and legs, and you're good to go. Kind of like Glenn's riot gear, but lighter. No need to stop heavy impacts, just teeth. Toss in a hockey neck-guard and you're pretty much zombie proof. Hot in the summer, sure, but you could kit up when you have to face them if you keep good sight lines.

How about some boot soles?

znation10k.jpg

• Like 1

I must have missed the tornado.

How did all the trees get whacked but the barn was untouched?  did I miss something there?

I did like the Zed forty feet up a tree impaled on a branch.

And does no one notice the burns on Daryl's hand?

I'd have drank the water too, as well as have shared the hootch.   Heck if you are gonna die from dehydration I'd like to be loaded.

Carl will never get laid.  And someone explain how Judith is little butterball.  She need to die.  Babies are tasty.

I must have missed the tornado.

How did all the trees get whacked but the barn was untouched?  did I miss something there?

I did like the Zed forty feet up a tree impaled on a branch.

And does no one notice the burns on Daryl's hand?

I'd have drank the water too, as well as have shared the hootch.   Heck if you are gonna die from dehydration I'd like to be loaded.

Carl will never get laid.  And someone explain how Judith is little butterball.  She need to die.  Babies are tasty.

Well...Carl's chances have decreased a lot lately; but maybe the group will find a pre-teen, zombie slashing, little hottie for him.

It does seem a little odd that Judith seems to be in such good shape. Never have a shortage of milk/food of some kind; but we don't ever see it.