After watching this, I feel like a failure as a father

• Moderators
[quote name="maroonandwhite" post="1174405" timestamp="1406851364"]While awesome I can't help but think how awesome a treehouse he could have built with all that time haha. I'd at least have made it big enough so the grow ups could play in it too.[/quote] Maybe when they are a tad bit older introduce them to Lost so he can build Dharma stations in the yard and trees?!?!
  • Like 1

way beyond my skill set.   When I was a kid we played Star Trek at friends house.  Our shuttle craft was the bottom bunk with some posters of constellations on the wall.  Imagination made it all seem real.

I did build my kid a Hall of Justice scaled to be right for his action figures.  Made it out of corrugated cardboard.  it was pretty cool and he played with it all the time.  I can make most anything out of corrugated.  He still talks about it 25 years later.  

Sorry I cannot match up to this dad and his money.

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

way beyond my skill set. When I was a kid we played Star Trek at friends house. Our shuttle craft was the bottom bunk with some posters of constellations on the wall. Imagination made it all seem real.

I did build my kid a Hall of Justice scaled to be right for his action figures. Made it out of corrugated cardboard. it was pretty cool and he played with it all the time. I can make most anything out of corrugated. He still talks about it 25 years later.

Sorry I cannot match up to this dad and his money.

Mike, I sat and watched that video tonight with my wife and my middle daughter who is 5. As she was looking at the kid in the spacecraft, she looked at my wife and said, "mom, that's like the school bus you made us!"

Earlier this summer we got something in a big box and my wife helped them make a school bus and let them paint it themselves. They've played with it all summer.

A kid's imagination is an awesome thing!
  • Like 2

Mike, I sat and watched that video tonight with my wife and my middle daughter who is 5. As she was looking at the kid in the spacecraft, she looked at my wife and said, "mom, that's like the school bus you made us!"

Earlier this summer we got something in a big box and my wife helped them make a school bus and let them paint it themselves. They've played with it all summer.

I can only like this twice by copying and pasting it and expressing such.   

My son was by me almost the entire time I made the Hall Of Justice,  He made several suggestions and we tied them in.  One was a trap door floor that would drop a bad guy into jail.  It worked great.  The thing even survived him falling on it and totally smashing it.  I glued in a couple of pieces of corrugated and it fixed it right up.  Superman never had such a nice place.  he told me once it was the best toy he ever had.  Probably cost two bucks to make.  At the time I worked at a box company,  there was plenty of scrap sheets of corrugated to be had.  His imagination is what made it the favorite toy.

• Like 1

I can only like this twice by copying and pasting it and expressing such.   

My son was by me almost the entire time I made the Hall Of Justice,  He made several suggestions and we tied them in.  One was a trap door floor that would drop a bad guy into jail.  It worked great.  The thing even survived him falling on it and totally smashing it.  I glued in a couple of pieces of corrugated and it fixed it right up.  Superman never had such a nice place.  he told me once it was the best toy he ever had.  Probably cost two bucks to make.  At the time I worked at a box company,  there was plenty of scrap sheets of corrugated to be had.  His imagination is what made it the favorite toy.

It's not the dollars, it's the contact time. More contact time, more being willing to get on your knees and down to their size, the more better. IMO.

To the OP.... I gotta admit, that's really, really cool.  Probably right at the edge of my skills, meaning I think I could do that but it would take a looong time.  Having to work for a living really gets in the way sometimes. 

While awesome I can't help but think how awesome a treehouse he could have built with all that time haha. I'd at least have made it big enough so the grow ups could play in it too.

Agreed.  Dad built me a treehouse out of left-overs from a deck we tore down and rebuilt.  I spend many an hour playing in it and it was awesome.  If my current yard had trees of acceptable size, I'd like to build one for my kids too.  But they have a pretty sizable playset that they use regularly so I'm not too worried about it.

Yep.  Sometimes it just takes a little nudge and their imaginations will go further than you ever thought possible. 

[quote name="MacGyver" post="1174489" timestamp="1406865081"]Mike, I sat and watched that video tonight with my wife and my middle daughter who is 5. As she was looking at the kid in the spacecraft, she looked at my wife and said, "mom, that's like the school bus you made us!" Earlier this summer we got something in a big box and my wife helped them make a school bus and let them paint it themselves. They've played with it all summer. A kid's imagination is an awesome thing![/quote] Big boxes were aways the best toys for our kids