Recommendations on two New 9MM's

My daily carry is a Kahr CW9.  It's not particularly fun to shoot but it's perfect (for me) to conceal carry.

That's what I think of all Kahrs. My Shield is ten time the gun my Kahr cw series is that I gave to my dad.

Before you get a Kahr, make sure to try one out. I think they are a nice size, but the trigger is horrible (at least to me). Once it shot the Shield there was no looking back.

The kahr basically has a trigger from a double action revolver. VERY smooth ( on thr P/PM series) but long. Especially the smaller kahrs, are meant for pocket carry, therefore the long heavy trigger and no safety
Another vote for the Shield and the M&P FS for their intended applications; I have both. I also have a Kahr MK, it has a very nice trigger, but it’s a long trigger pull. It also costs quite a bit more than a Shield.

I have had and shot the Shield. It is a bigger gun than the Kahr PM9 or CM9. I sold my Shield and kept M&P 9c and my Kahr's. The trigger on most Kahr's is long and smooth like a revolver. I have several revolvers too, maybe that is why I like the Kahr trigger. Yes the Shield trigger is better than most M&P's. I like the M&P's for I have the M&P 9c and the M&P Pro 9, but they are not my conceal carry.

Wow, you're really making me want to check out a Shield...

It's not exactly a pocket carry gun unless all your pants have really big pockets but there is no better pistol in its little niche.  Shoots like a full size gun with the best trigger found on any M&P and way better than any other in that size.

• Like 2

My daily carry is a Kahr CW9.  It's not particularly fun to shoot but it's perfect (for me) to conceal carry.

Any problems with that CM9? I've got my eye on one at Buds for $338. Was going to get a PM9, but if the CM9 is reliable...

Assuming neither of you made typos, the CW9 and the CM9 are different Kahr pistolas.

- OS

It's not exactly a pocket carry gun unless all your pants have really big pockets but there is no better pistol in its little niche. Shoots like a full size gun with the best trigger found on any M&P and way better than any other in that size.

Of all my shorts and pants I have one pair of shorts that has shallow pockets making it hard to carry the Shield discretely. Other than that I have no issues with pocket carrying a Shield. I even do so with the Pearce Extension. Carrying a Shield is about the same as carrying a j frame. They both take up about the same volume and are about the same height and length.
It is beyond me why S&W can't replicate the Shield's trigger into the othe M&P handguns. Edited by Patton
As big of a Hi Power fan as I am there are a lot better target and plinking guns available. Slide bite is a common complaint and so is the lack of sights because you are truly stuck with low combat sights. This is of course ignoring the magazine safety and having to deal with the ambidextrous safety. Like their 1911 brothers they tend to love attention in the maintenance department. As long as people are aware of this I am all for Hi Powers.

Do you all think a Citadel 1911 9MM would be just as accurate or more accurate than what is listed above?

I would be much more in favor of a Browning Hi Power than any 9mm 1911 since you asked. Edited by Patton

I don't know how people pocket carry a Shield.  I love my Shield 9mm, it shoots great, and I can carry it in a 3speed holster fine... but even on my overly large pants, I can barely stuff it in my pocket, and its hard to remove, and its pretty visible its a gun in the pocket.  The only thing I carry in my pocket is a LCP, which pretty much vanishes.

• Like 1

I don't know how people pocket carry a Shield. I love my Shield 9mm, it shoots great, and I can carry it in a 3speed holster fine... but even on my overly large pants, I can barely stuff it in my pocket, and its hard to remove, and its pretty visible its a gun in the pocket. The only thing I carry in my pocket is a LCP, which pretty much vanishes.

Easy-peasy. I have a wocket in my pocket. In my other pocket is my Shield. Carried it all over Gatlinburg like this yesterday and today.
20140803_152652_zpstjppwpql.jpg
  • Like 1

Easy-peasy. I have a wocket in my pocket. In my other pocket is my Shield. Carried it all over Gatlinburg like this yesterday and today.
20140803_152652_zpstjppwpql.jpg

Can't even begin to tell.  Just out of curiosity, what pocket holster do you use?  

I din't read all the posts but you need to consider a 1911 in 9mm. I have a month old Rock Island Tactical and love it. Very accurate and nice trigger. Plus its easy to work on and plenty of parts available. The Tac version has the upgraded sights over the std GI version. I like it better than my S&W M&P 9 with the FSS APEX trigger. Bought mine from Bud's.

• 3 weeks later...

it seems that everyone likes the shield for sub compact and are split on XD's and M&P full size for other work. So let me add this into the discussion and see where this goes...

Do you think the bladed trigger on a XD or XDm is better in regards to pull, reset, travel than a hinged trigger like on the M&P series, FNS series?

Do you believe there is much of a "shooting" difference accuracy wise between a standard XD and a XDm?

Is the Walther PPQ with its magical trigger as most describe better than a M&P, XD or XDm?

In regards to the sub compacts, why are you all endorsing the shield so much more over the XDs? 

1911 9mm's...do you think they are accurate and reliable as some describe, even more so than a CZ-75, Hi-Power, etc or is the 1911 better suited for longer cartridges such as the 38 Super, 10MM and 45ACP? Do you think the phillipine made 1911's are trustworthy?

That is a lot of questions. I like the contours of the Shield, better finish, the lack of a grip safety, the slightly lighter weight, and the lack of recoil. I had a 40 Shield and thought I wanted a 45XDS, I sold the XDS and went back to 9mm Shield. The XDS does have better sights. As far as fullsize guns I do not really care for regular M&P triggers, they are a gamble and not consistent one gun to the next. I have noticed that the finish on M&P's hold up a lot better than XD's. The XD probably does have a better trigger. It will be hard to beat the XD three free mag promotion they have right now. I have never shot a 9mm XD or 9mm M&P, only the 40's in both models. The M&P may have recoiled a little less but neither was bad at all. I don't really see the XDM as that much of an improvement or being more accurate. Either should be as accurate as the user. I also have no interest in a match grade barrel and it's tighter specs. I have heard the will not run dry because of that and will not like many peoples reloads.

On your 1911 question; I believe 1911's should only be 45acp and 38super. I also believe that they should only be 5" government models the way JMB designed them over 100 years ago. I say that and I am a 10mm believer. I just don't think the 10mm belongs in a 1911. I am biased and not the world's biggest 1911 fan. Edited by Patton