Super compact .45s

Handsome Rob

Given the choice between a Glock 36 & a Springfield XD-S Which would you go for & why?

I'm looking at trading my Bond Arms .45lc for a really small .45 & I can't decide between the 2. I've never handled either, but I did like my G19 (I know, double stack, totally different) The Bond is an amazing piece of engineering & quite definitely one of the finest guns I own, but I just can't get on with the grip/trigger ergonomics.

I like the smaller size of the XD-S & the limited capacity is not an issue. I also like the ease of use of the Glocks.

I've never handled or fired a G36, so I can't make any comments relative to it.  I'm sure like all Glocks that it's a fine gun.  I do, however, own an XDs 45, and I love it!  It's biggest advantage to me personally is that I can pocket carry it, which is how I typically carry.  It have been completely reliable in the time that I've owned it, and I have no complaints at all.  

• Like 4

Are you carrying it in your front pocket?  Does it not tend to pull the pocket open or your pants down?  I carry Kel-Tec PF-9 in my front pocket and as light as it is, it still tends to pull my pocket open.  I really have to tighten my belt up too.

Are you carrying it in your front pocket?  Does it not tend to pull the pocket open or your pants down?  I carry Kel-Tec PF-9 in my front pocket and as light as it is, it still tends to pull my pocket open.  I really have to tighten my belt up too.

Yes, right front pocket.  I can't pull it off with every pair of pants I own -- some days I have to go with either my S&W 640 (only marginally different) or LCP.  But with most of my pants, it's doable.  Sometimes my pocket does tend to gap open a bit, if it's somewhat shallow.  But most of the time it's fine.  Haven't noticed it pulling my pants down.  I've got plenty of waistline to keep them up...  :D

Unless you are military you will probably save a few dollars with a XDS. You will find the G36 about as close to a g19 size as you can get but pocket carry is not really practical for one. The G36 is definitely a smoother shooting gun.

Yes, right front pocket.  I can't pull it off with every pair of pants I own -- some days I have to go with either my S&W 640 (only marginally different) or LCP.  But with most of my pants, it's doable.  Sometimes my pocket does tend to gap open a bit, if it's somewhat shallow.  But most of the time it's fine.  Haven't noticed it pulling my pants down.  I've got plenty of waistline to keep them up...  :D

Yeah, I still got that waistline too, though I've lost 62 lbs since the first of the year. :)  I'm getting ready to move down another pant size too.  Might mean the PF-9 won't ride there anymore.  I don't know, but it is a small pistol.

• Like 1
You won't even notice the grip safety is there if you properly grip the guns, so that makes the manual of arms almost identical except for the ambi safety on the SA. You WILL notice the difference in the sights, though. Springfield has swept back rear sights that maximize the sight radius and an awesome FIBER OPTIC front sight! I find that the width of the G36 makes it seem huge in comparison, so it may be too thick to pocket carry. The front to back size of the G36 grip is much bigger too. If you have big hands you might find the XD-s too cramped. If you have small hands you might find it hard to get a good hold on that G36 when it goes boom.
  • Like 1
Guest Broomhead
Thank you very much for this thread Robtattoo!! I have about decided on getting an XDS45 myself. I'm trying to look at reviews some more, but this thread has so far about sealed the deal. Not sure of your SO but Nashville Armory has them new for $569, or two nice used ones for $449. I was just there yesterday so they should still have them.
I've read a lot of reviews on both. The TTAG review is very concise & made me giggle. I think I'm leaning heavily toward the XDS right now, simply due to the slimmer profile. I can't carry, but I want something slim & light for back country protection when I hunt out west. Weight & size is a big concern when I'm already carrying a 60lb pack, but out in bear & moose country I want big bore peace of mind! I guess I'll be taking a trip to the LGS this weekend to try one in hand. From the reviews though, it looks like it may be the very thing I've been searching for. Edited by robtattoo
  • Like 1
I had a XDS45 and it was ok. I found myself always wanting to compare it to a Shield which is very much in the same league even though it is a different caliber. What I did like about the XDS was the size, it was about perfect. I think most people would not want anything larger for a gun that may need to ride in a pocket. The sights were great, the mag release was easy to manipulate, and it was just comfortable to hold. I have for years been trying to find a 45acp platform that I really liked and the XDS was one of the best. I also liked that the magazines were a 1911 size and fit most 1911 mag holders. A lot of my leather Glock holsters the XDS would fit, but it was too tall for my kydex Glock holsters.

As far as bad stuff one thing that really bothered me was the grip safety. It was not so much the fact it was there but the fact that they made it too small. I found it possible to grab the gun and squeeze the trigger only to have resistance because the grip safety was above the webbing in my hand; this occurred only a couple of times with dry firing. I only had one commonly occurring malfunction and it was a failure to return to battery when inserting a new mag and sling shotting the slide. Twice it required a bump to the back of the slide. The trigger was stiff, very stiff, but supposedly they say all of the post-recall guns come that way and require time to lossen. The trigger does have a clean break though. I found the grip blocky, and even more blocky than a Glock. On the other hand I liked the feel of the gun though. There was only two things that I really did not care for with the XDS and they were the finish and the recoil. I always expect such a low pressure round such as a 45 to have a softer, push type recoil. Despite it having near magnum level pressure, I found the 40 Shield to have less recoil. The XDS recoil was pretty close to feeling like the recoil of my j frame 357 magnum. With the XDS follow up shots are possible but rapid fire does not occur too fast. Lastly, I did not think the finish was too great. It may be just as good as the crap Glock is sending out now but you could scratch it with a fingernail.

In all I kind of wish I would have kept the XDS. I had planned to keep it but I found it a really good home. I did end up replacing it with another Shield. Edited by Patton
  • Like 1

Given the choice between a Glock 36 & a Springfield XD-S Which would you go for & why?....

I'm not familar with the Glock 36.  After purchasing an XDS45 I liked it and added an XDS9.  These pistols are comfortable to carry and shoot.  In a crossbreed holster I almost forget that carrying.

My first thought was the Kahr, but I read a review & the phrase "I want to buy a gun, not rent it" cropped up a couple of times. I know there are negative reviews on everything ever made, by anyone, anywhere, ever; but the comments on Kahr .45s really stuck.
My best friend had a Kahr & loves it, but I doubt he's even put a box through it in 2 years. He uses it the same way I will with a tiny .45 Backcountry bear/moose/pot farmer protection.
I guess the bandwagon is popular for a reason...... Like Nissan Altimas.

I rented both the G36 and the XDs to compare the two.  I went with the XDs.  The G36 is OK, but it is noticeably larger than the XDs and seems positively fat in comparison.  The G36 is just a single-stack Glock.  The XDs seems to have been designed from scratch as a small .45 concealed carry pistol.

He uses it the same way I will with a tiny .45 Backcountry bear/moose/pot farmer protection.

You mentioned it once again and I must share my thoughts, a small 45acp would not be my choice for those purposes. If it were the only gun I owned I wouldn't be overly concerned with taking it on one of those trips, but big and slow 45acp out of a short barrel may not give you the penetration you need. If it is a brown bear out west you are way under-gunned. I think even with fmj or hard cast, getting the needed 18" of penetration may not happen. I understand that you want to pack light but the general opinion is that anything smaller than 10mm or 41. mag is inadequate for the woods.
I have a .41, several .44s & a .45lc that are sill inferior to a .454 or .416, & even the most compact (a 2½" .44) is still a pig to carry alongside a loaded pack at 12,000' Honestly, a .44 isn't going to stop a PO'd grizzly 100% of the time. I'll be in blackie country (Colorado) & I know that nothing I can carry, short of a .500, is going to be perfect. But 230gn solids & lots of noise stand a better chance than any .380in the same size package, or a 3lb, 8" long revolver that I'm too tired to carry 24/7
  • Like 1
Wait until S&W releases a Shield in .45 The market will be filled with used/trade in XDs, lol. Personally if I were looking for a "woods" .45 it'd be a 1911. A Ruger Alaskan in 2" may be just the ticket for you if you're already used to carrying revolvers in the woods. I have always carried one of my Ruger .44s when hunting, hiking. The extra weight is worth it to me vs. me becoming dead weight. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]now Free[/URL]