Firearm Stolen Alert ~ Downtown Nashville, Black Ruger LCP with Stainless Slide

xRUSTYx

Hey Guys ...

Had my car broken in to a couple of hours ago.  Stole my firearm, but it doesn't look like they got anything else.  If you run across this for sale or see it anywhere, please contact Metro PD :)  The gun has been reported stolen.

Details:

Ruger LCP

Two Tone ~ Black Frame, Stainless Slide

Desantis Wallet Holster

Here's the Serial Info:

RugerLCPstolen_zpsc0daefec.jpg

Here's a picture of a similar firearm :)

LCP_zps5ceb028a.jpg

Its my own fault really.  I normally keep her holstered in the back pocket.  A trip to Los Angeles over the weekend and she got put up in the center console while parked.  I forgot to put back in to my pocket upon coming home.

Thanks for the support guys :)

That sucks, sorry to hear it. You should add the serial number to as many stolen weapons databases as you can to disseminate it as widely as possible.

One of the best ways to not get a stolen firearm back is by telling a thief that it is hot. The best hope at getting a stolen firearm back is by the gun getting sold to a pawn or gun shop. Sadly, even when an honest person runs across a stolen object they want to get rid of it and not call the police. Too many times stolen guns get thrown into rivers or stashed away deep somewhere so in case it is really needed.
I had an acquaintance call me one time an ask me to run a serial numer. I said yes but I need to have the gun in my hand first because if it is stolen I have to keep it. He replied, "I don't want to loose it". This is not the only time I have seen or heard of things like this happening.

If I had a gun taken in a theft I would probably call the police with the serial numbers and then make post indicating that I did not know the serial numbers. I would post that I was willing to pay a reward to get the gun back because I will know it when I see it. Another option is to post a want to buy ad for a stainless LCP and hope that someone tries to contact you with yours. Just ask for the serial prefix when they describe it or send the pictures. Then call your detective if someone wit your LCP contacts you. Edited by Patton
  • Like 2

One of the best ways to not get a stolen firearm back is by telling a thief that it is hot or it being found on a pat down. The best hope at getting a stolen firearm back is by the gun getting sold to a pawn or gun shop. Sadly, even when an honest person runs across a stolen object they want to get rid of it and not call the police. Too many times stolen guns get thrown into rivers or stashed away deep somewhere so in case it is really needed.
I had an acquaintance call me one time an ask me to run a serial numer. I said yes but I need to have the gun in my hand first because if it is stolen I have to keep it. He replied, "I don't want to loose it". This is not the only time I have seen or heard of things like this happening.

If I had a gun taken in a theft I would probably call the police with the serial numbers and then make post indicating that I did not know the serial numbers. I would post that I was willing to pay a reward to get the gun back because I will know it when I see it. Another option is to post a want to buy ad for a stainless LCP and hope that someone tries to contact you with yours. Just ask for the serial prefix when they describe it or send the pictures. Then call your detective if someone wit your LCP contacts you.

While I see your point, I disagree.  Getting your serial number out there will greatly increase your chances of getting it back.  If I go to buy a gun and find it is stolen I will contact the owner or LE to let them know, this way I can be sure that the gun is not tied to me in a theft investigation and will give the police any information on how or who I bought it from.  I never buy a gun without some type of information exchange, whether it be phone number or email only.  If you don't report it, it may trade hands many times before someone checks with the police department where the serial number is recorded.  Besides, I would rather the gun be thrown into a river than it stay in the hands of the SOB who stole it.

I only see it that way because it is the way I was told it happens by experienced professionals.  I was somewhat leery of it until I saw it happen; a person who I knew, who I thought was honest, was unwilling to take a chance on losing a firearm. Then I saw it happen once again and I heard of cases where thugs learned of being caught and wanted no part of an item. It is a stolen firearm. I guarantee you that it will be passed on to a detective and receive strong priority. The department has to answer for unclosed cases.   It may be impossible to find the statistics but I guarantee you that police find more guns through NCIC checks than citizens find guns on private websites.  If you would truly call the police and go through the hassle of appearing to be a suspect until the police hashed out the details then you are a lot more honest than the majority of other citizens.  Generally thugs trade hot items unless they know the item is too great of a risk.  You want them to trade it on the street so that the new owner may be carrying it and get the number checked one day on a stop, or you want it to cycle through a gun or pawn shop.

Generally thugs trade hot items unless they know the item is too great of a risk. You want them to trade it on the street so that the new owner may be carrying it and get the number checked one day on a stop, or you want it to cycle through a gun or pawn shop.

Seems counterintuitive, thugs trade guns to other thugs who could care less about the legalities. Its the honest guys you want to reach; if your friend was dishonest about the gun then he now knows its possibly stolen and is culpable if he passes it along to anyone.

When I purchase guns, I try and do it smartly with bills of sale, trading licence or CCW info etc. If I run a serial number and it comes up hot I will report it and the info with it as I expect someone to do if one of mine came up fishy. If a gun I sell/trade gets surrendered to LE, then I will make it right with the buyer and pass on where I got the gun from to LE and find a recourse with the person/shop I got it from; its just the right thing to do.

The way I see things is, if you dont do your due diligence and get stuck with the loss its your fault to begin with, you should not pass it on to the next guy. If you knowingly keep a suspect weapon, you will be having to keep it squirreled away forever in fear of being discovered, and thats not how I want to have a weapon; I try to use all my weapons.

Edit: speeling Edited by Omega

Seems counterintuitive, thugs trade guns to other thugs who could care less about the legalities. Its the honest guys you want to reach; if your friend was dishonest about the gun then he now knows its possibly stolen and is culpable if he passes it along to anyone.

When I purchase guns, I try and do it smartly with bills of sale, trading licence or CCW info etc. If I run a serial number and it comes up hot I will report it and the info with it as I expect someone to do if one of mine came up fishy. If a gun I sell/trade gets surrendered to LE, then I will make it right with the buyer and pass on where I got the gun from to LE and find a recourse with the person/shop I got it from; its just the right thing to do.

The way I see things is, if you dont do your due diligence and get stuck with the loss its your fault to begin with, you should not pass it on to the next guy. If you knowingly keep a suspect weapon, you will be having to keep it squirreled away forever in fear of being discovered, and thats not how I want to have a weapon; I try to use all my weapons.

Edit: speeling

You are assuming it was a thug or a career criminal that did this though. It could have been a crime of chance by a kid, or a drug addict needing a fix. A drug addict will sell it, a kid will tell his friends.

There are many different reasons that this could have happened, and many different outcomes.

I agree that any theft sucks, and I hope the OP gets his property back.

One of the best ways to not get a stolen firearm back is by telling a thief that it is hot or it being found on a pat down. The best hope at getting a stolen firearm back is by the gun getting sold to a pawn or gun shop. Sadly, even when an honest person runs across a stolen object they want to get rid of it and not call the police. Too many times stolen guns get thrown into rivers or stashed away deep somewhere so in case it is really needed.

If I had a gun taken in a theft I would probably call the police with the serial numbers and then make post indicating that I did not know the serial numbers. I would post that I was willing to pay a reward to get the gun back because I will know it when I see it. Another option is to post a want to buy ad for a stainless LCP and hope that someone tries to contact you with yours. Just ask for the serial prefix when they describe it or send the pictures. Then call your detective if someone wit your LCP contacts you.

I too agree with this.  I have seen this post before either by you or others with similar "my gun was stolen".  I initially thought otherwise a while back, but have reasoned through it and this is the best trap.

Well, I have 17 guns out floating in the air that were stolen from my home in a burglary back in 1988 and I reported the theft by filing a police report and gave the police a description of each weapon taken, and what the serial number is on each gun and were my initials were engraved in each of them where only a gunsmith would find them and they would have to be looking for them and I call the Sheriff's office once a month every month since 1988 and not one of them has shown up anyplace of been reported as found. I even offered a $2,500.00 reward no questions ask return of the Winchester Model 12 Pump gun that belonged to my dead son that they took and that didn't even bring it out. I don't think I will ever see any of them again but in my safe is a letter to the Sheriff of Cheatham county authorizing the release of any of the guns found to my youngest son in the event of my death. Sign and notarized and he will pass the back ground check because he also has an HCP along with his wife. I hope you get your gun back Rusty.......... :up: 

• Like 1