50th birthday pistol suggestions

Mykltn

You could customize a Smith or ruger through Marc at Gemini Customs. If you already own one, you save that on your budget for more work. My 3" SP from Marc is pretty sweet.

I also endorse a Python. Heirloom and collectible, but how much would you shoot it? Edited by Gotthegoods

For heirloom stuff I always like to go highly customizes......keeps me from selling it  :rofl: . 

I second (or 11th) the idea of a nice customized 1911. I'd bet you can get something one of a kind without breaking the bank. Giving us a general idea of what you already have or don't want may help weed out some redundant responses too.

Orrrrr, you could always track down that custom Glock that had the trigger guard removed and lots of other custom work done to it.

Current inventory.
Colt New Agent 1911 .45
Kimber Solo Carry .9mm
Colt Mustang Pocketlite .380
Ruger SP101 .357 snubnose
Bond arms snakeslayer .45/410
American derringer DA38
Seecamp. 32
Browning buckmark .22
North American arms .22 mini mag.
Most on my list have been mentioned by others. My first choice would be a Sig P210, but good luck finding one...and they aren't cheap (so I still pine for one). Since it doesn't appear that you have a Browning/FN High Power, that's what you should really consider. They are wonderful pistols. Another 1911 is always nice or maybe a S&W model 686. Finally, one that has not been mentioned, but is well within your budget, and that's a Kahr T9 elite with wood grips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i would buy a glock 23.  then i would get a 40-9 barrel and glock 19 mags.   i would get a 357 sig barrel.  now you got three guns in one.  then i would get a good light for the rail.  several good named brand holsters. then use the rest of the money for ammo.  

i would buy a glock 23.  then i would get a 40-9 barrel and glock 19 mags.   i would get a 357 sig barrel.  now you got three guns in one.  then i would get a good light for the rail.  several good named brand holsters. then use the rest of the money for ammo.  

This is a great recommendation for anyone. Add a .22LR conversion kit, and you have a pistol for every purpose a handgun is suited for. At the same time, Glock 23's are a dime a dozen. If the wife has agreed to purchase a $2-3K heirloom gun, I'd do just that and purchase the Glock 23 on the side.  

Great suggestion! I might go one step further though. I got a G17 frame off Gunbroker and now have a dedicated Glock in 22 cal. It's a blast to shoot.

Recoil is almost non-existant with it.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe I should get a Desert Eagle 50AE for my birthday. A 50 cal for my 50th. Lol

I love my DE but I am very glad I got 44.  I can easily find or make ammo for it.   The 50 thing is a neat match but... 

Also, if you can spend that much... you could get just about anything ....

Edited by Jonnin

My... Here it is...

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/colt-sheriffs-44-special-44-40-9805/#.VCasOfldWSo

A "real" firearm... Have hamilton bowen slick it up and maybee even send it off to Doug Turnbull to re-mark (...and re-blue...) to the old prewar marking "44 russian and special" (....i think...), bevel the cylinder to the old black powder spec, re-cut the flutes a bit bigger, and case-harden the hammer... They are a helluva thing... We've got a couple of his brothers... They look and handle out of this world...

A close second would be a worked over WW1 commemerative like stormin said......

Enjoy, and happy birthday...

leroy

Edited by leroy

What's the details of this specific series that make it more desirable than the typical Python?

I think cause the serial numbers are for the 1964 production year and that would make them 50 years old. 50 year old gun for my 50th birthday. Get it? Unfortunately I was born in 1965.
Ok, two choices have come to mind. First is the Desert Eagle .50AE. A .50cal for my 50th. Second is the S&W 460V. I'm liking the 460 due to the ability to shoot .460 s&w, .454 and .45lc. Any thoughts of first hand experiences with either pistol?

OP, here's a recommendation (as I was also born in 1965):

Step 1: Buy a Series 70 Colt Government Model

Step 2: Talk to one of these guys: Wayne Novak ( http://www.novaksights.com/customguns/index.html ), Hilton Yam ( http://www.10-8performance.com/ ), or Jason Burton ( http://www.heirloomprecision.com/ )

Step 3: Have them build the 1911 of your dreams, which, given your price point should be pretty easy

Step 4: Pick a durable finish and keep it a shooter...even if it is an heirloom gun.  Salt bath Nitride, for instance, looks pretty good on 1911's.

HTH.

Guest StorminMormon

OP, here's a recommendation (as I was also born in 1965):

Step 1: Buy a Series 70 Colt Government Model

Step 2: Talk to one of these guys: Wayne Novak ( http://www.novaksights.com/customguns/index.html ), Hilton Yam ( http://www.10-8performance.com/ ), or Jason Burton ( http://www.heirloomprecision.com/ )

Step 3: Have them build the 1911 of your dreams, which, given your price point should be pretty easy

Step 4: Pick a durable finish and keep it a shooter...even if it is an heirloom gun.  Salt bath Nitride, for instance, looks pretty good on 1911's.

HTH.

What he said..