American Sniper movie

My Son -in -law wants so much for me to go to the theater on opening day to see it. I told him I might go see it but not on the opening days of it. Most folks may think I am paranoid or other things but considering what this movie portrays I am sure that Chris made enemies for his actions. I remember the opening night of The Black Knight and even though the guy may have been a nut which I don't believe he is but knew everything he was doing because of all the planning he did first.

With that said I don't want to be in any theater when someone from a family Chris effected decides to take out revenge for it on opening night when all theaters will be packed. May not be an active shooter because guns are not a terrorist favorite weapon. Explosives are. Yea, I know some folks are calling me paranoid but my son-in -law has consented to wait a week or so before going and if my health will permit it I will then go with him. 

Okay, now ya'll can add your opinions about my thoughts................................

• Like 1

My Son -in -law wants so much for me to go to the theater on opening day to see it. I told him I might go see it but not on the opening days of it. Most folks may think I am paranoid or other things but considering what this movie portrays I am sure that Chris made enemies for his actions. I remember the opening night of The Black Knight and even though the guy may have been a nut which I don't believe he is but knew everything he was doing because of all the planning he did first.

With that said I don't want to be in any theater when someone from a family Chris effected decides to take out revenge for it on opening night when all theaters will be packed. May not be an active shooter because guns are not a terrorist favorite weapon. Explosives are. Yea, I know some folks are calling me paranoid but my son-in -law has consented to wait a week or so before going and if my health will permit it I will then go with him. 

Okay, now ya'll can add your opinions about my thoughts................................

I wouldn't worry about an act if terrorism, but I see your point and how you got there anyway. As to the movie shooter, he's a nut bag. Nuttier than squirrel shit and battier than a guano reef. People can be crazy as all hell and still cognitively plan out a cowardly event like that. I don't think he has a relevant handicap that should have kept him from being womped on the head with a sack of bricks three or four times and rolled into a ditch already, but he's loony nonetheless.

As to the movie itself, I might go see it in theaters, but I doubt it. I usually only go if I'm being dragged along or I know there is something a friend or family member will really want to see, then sometimes I'll offer to go. The only one I can think if who would want to go see this would be my dad and the seats at theaters bother him after a while.

Whats the statistical odds?

None really, except my own views. I just know that people like Chris are and always have been the most hated of all American military personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan just like in Vietnam. There are always a bounty placed on a snipers head. Especially a really good one. Now for another opinion, I often wonder if Chris kyles death was as it was told. Yea, he did help other fellow vets with PTSD but I am not sure this was one of those cases. It may have been a fit of jealously or maybe just wanted to be the man to kill Chris but guess we will never know.......................jmho

None really, except my own views. I just know that people like Chris are and always have been the most hated of all American military personnel in Iraq and Afghanistan just like in Vietnam. There are always a bounty placed on a snipers head. Especially a really good one. Now for another opinion, I often wonder if Chris kyles death was as it was told. Yea, he did help other fellow vets with PTSD but I am not sure this was one of those cases. It may have been a fit of jealously or maybe just wanted to be the man to kill Chris but guess we will never know.......................jmho

We may yet get more info, but his wife has her own views: http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2013/06/chris_kyles_widow_tells_glenn.php

We may yet get more info, but his wife has her own views: http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2013/06/chris_kyles_widow_tells_glenn.php

My view points very much reflect hers in many ways. I have known and still know many men and  a few women to do truly suffer from PTSD and in all of them the most danger to any of them is hurting themselves or taking their own lives. In all honesty I think this is the first case I have ever hear of someone suffering from PTSD killing or hurting another person................jmho

• 4 weeks later...
All I'm gunna say is this... it was awesome, and you will not be disappointed. It was very humbling for me, being a pansy civilian who cannot fathom the weighty decision making and bravery that people like Chris Kyle and many others show.

Though it was great, I didn't feel all pumped up and excited like after an action movie. The story of the Chris Kyle family is heavy, tragic, and just plain heartbreaking. Edited by musicman

All I'm gunna say is this... it was awesome, and you will not be disappointed. It was very humbling for me, being a pansy civilian who cannot fathom the weighty decision making and bravery that people like Chris Kyle and many others show.

Though it was great, I didn't feel all pumped up and excited like after an action movie. The story of the Chris Kyle family is heavy, tragic, and just plain heartbreaking.

I agree, I can't imagine someone watching this flick and walking away disappointed. As far as walking away pumped up goes, I didn't expect to walk away from this movie feeling good. Like you said, his story is too heavy, tragic, and heartbreaking for that.

If any of you are someone or know someone who did anything heroic in battle, you can relate to my favorite scene in the movie. Spoiler alert not necessary...he runs into someone whose life he'd saved over there and Bradley Cooper did an amazing job of showing how uncomfortable it would make a real hero when someone called him a hero to his face. I found it to be one of the most powerful scenes because if you're a big, strong, bad-ass, door kicking, well-trained, killing machine...like Kyle was trained to be...he's got to be a confident and strong-willed SOB, with a little swagger in his step ya know? Yet, when confronted with his achievements or being thanked face-to-face for his heroism, he's embarrassed to receive that kind of attention. It's was a real "lump in your throat" moment for me in the film.

• Like 1

Although we all know quite a bit about his life and the journey he made. it still will be incredible to watch.

Even watching the preview of his agonizing decision in the scene with the little boy, I felt so torn. I could not imagine being in Chris's position and confronting the reality of either side on that.

Shoot or not. Watching Cooper in that scene just makes me want to crawl in a hole and retreat from the world. I pray never having to make a decision like that. 

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

I'm fixing to leave the house to go watch it.
My wife went to visit family, and taking her along would ruin the movie for me (she is one of those who talks all through a movie) so worked out great. I plan to buy this when available.

Where you headed? We're headed to see the 7:45 imax showing in cool springs
Wife and I watched it this afternoon. She had seen the previews but had no real idea what the story was about. Suffice it to say, we were the last ones to leave as the credits rolled, she was crying and just needed some time to compose herself.

I think Bradley Cooper and Clint Eastwood did a great job of capturing the spirit of the book.

I echo what others have already said. This was a very good movie, a great tribute not just to Chris Kyle but to all of those brave souls who go into harms way and live to deal with the demons that can come from seeing the elephant.

To any of you who may be veterans, thank you from me and my family for your sacrifice. We are sincerely grateful.
  • Like 1

Where you headed? We're headed to see the 7:45 imax showing in cool springs

I just watched it in Columbia. I bought a ticket online this morning, good thing because they were sold out when I got to the theater. The place was packed!

Excellent movie. I heard it was good but really did not expect it to be so capturing. The book does offer a lot more material, particularly about Chris' struggles when he returned, but the movie was outstanding. I'm not sure they could have done a better job.

I liked Lone Survivor, but the book was much better than the movie, which was more about the action than the struggle (at least in my opinion). American Sniper captured the emotional and mental battles in outstanding fashion. Edited by jonathon1289