Anyone use a bipod for hunting?

I use a shooting stick for all firearms hunting. I've been using one for years. It doubles as a walking stick in the dark woods and allows me to always have a steady shot. 

Nothing illegal about using a bipod attached to your gun either. 

This is the stick I use. Works better than cheaper ones that tend to slide up under weight. 

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Gorilla-Gear-62-Shooting-Stick&i=412038

Edited by whiskey
  • Like 1

I use a shooting stick for all firearms hunting. I've been using one for years. It doubles as a walking stick in the dark woods and allows me to always have a steady shot. 

This is the stick I use. Works better than cheaper ones that tend to slide up under weight. 

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Gorilla-Gear-62-Shooting-Stick&i=412038

That looks like a good'n! May have to pick me one up, even if I'm not using it my daughter can when she goes hunting with me. Not as much as I wish she did, but I'll take what I can get :)

I have one that's very similar, I got it for exactly the same reason.

The stick is a great idea!

I just wondered about a little help, my eyes certainly aren't what they used to be so I've come to appreciate a scope and it got me thinking about my steadiness, I'm sure that has diminished as well. May be it was never as good as I thought but I've learned the capability of my long guns with bipods. 

I use a sinclair  bipod for everything. 

[url=http://s587.photobucket.com/user/ren1795/media/a5405.jpg.html]a5405.jpg[/URL]

If the grass is too high then I go to crossed wooden shooting sticks. Poke them in the ground, have a seat and take the shot. 

I'll try and get a pics of them today some time. 

Edited by Lowpower
Shooting sticks are where it's at. Bipods are for the range and rooftops. Shooting sticks are for the field. For prone and sitting I used to use wooden dowels lashed together with 550 cord. The telescoping monopods are nice, I just didn't like the extra weight.

Don't rest your barrel on it if you're making a longer shot. I've seen that a few times on hunting videos. Rest your stock on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I don't find it helpful unless you know where you are going to be shooting.

I was taught to shoot with a sling.

Other than that, I have used a single stick half at an angle back against my foot.

Rest the Rifle on the Hand that is holding the stick.

But I'm not taking 500 yard shots either.

• Like 1

I have used bipods, monopods, bags, slings, braced against a tree and shooting sticks.  Anything to steady the rifle will work as long as you are comfortable enough to squeeze the trigger when you need to.  While stalking, I just use a cheap stick such as this one except mine is either a winchester or allen brand:  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mossy-Oak-61-Adjustable-Shooting-Stick/15435849

Though its not as expensive as other brands I think its good for the price.  I use it as a walking/snake stick as well as a spiderweb stick, which is how I started using a stick in the first place.  I would always pickup a stick to knock the webs away while going through the woods, one day a doe showed itself and I used the stick to steady my rifle.  So when I seen these at walmart I figured heck, why not.

When the first humans began walking the woods of the world, they took to using walking sticks for only ONE reason!

Spiderwebs! Dammit, I hate spiderwebs in my face!

Back to the topic:

I use the monopod/walking stick with the Y at the top to improve my offhand shooting, not to replace other proven shooting techniques. I still use my sling if standing. I still use a nearby tree in conjunction with the stick, if possible. I still take a seated position if possible. The stick just aids in these.

I use the same stick when turkey hunting to keep my gun up and in position while calling. I've used the same stick in a ladder stand that didn't have a shooting rail. My daughter has never killed a deer or turkey without on of these sticks under her gun.

A couple years back I was walking down a woods road and saw a doe moving through the woods towards the road. Propped the gun on the stick and waited till she crossed. 50 yard neck shot, drove the truck to her. I would not have taken that shot with a stick.

I can usually find something in the woods to use as a brace; a tree, bar in the front of my treestand, etc. If you hunt much, you'll likely gain an appreciation for a light, fast handling rifle; not one with a hubble telescope and numerous other accouterments such as a bipod attached to it.

I can usually find something in the woods to use as a brace; a tree, bar in the front of my treestand, etc. If you hunt much, you'll likely gain an appreciation for a light, fast handling rifle; not one with a hubble telescope and numerous other accouterments such as a bipod attached to it.

So I shouldn't hunt with my AR?  :o  

tacticoolAR15.jpg

• Like 1