Probably NOT the answer you want, but I load my 9mm with whatever SD ammo is available at a good price after I've cycled through whatever I bought the last time I found some on sale. I probably wouldn't go for full on frangible rounds, but pretty much any quality SD ammo will get the nod if its a few buck cheaper than normal. I do advocate buying enough at a go to run them through your pistol for a few mags to see how they feed and all, but that's one area where your smaller capacity comes in handy. It's a lot cheaper to run 3 mags through your 938 than it is to run 2 out of my M&P :D
  • Like 8
I match what the local PD carries. If not the caliber, I at least have the same make of round. If it's good enough for the police to protect themselves, it's good enough for me. I was told by other LEO's that legally it presents a better case in the unfortunate event it had to be used.
  • Like 1

Probably NOT the answer you want, but I load my 9mm with whatever SD ammo is available at a good price after I've cycled through whatever I bought the last time I found some on sale. I probably wouldn't go for full on frangible rounds, but pretty much any quality SD ammo will get the nod if its a few buck cheaper than normal. I do advocate buying enough at a go to run them through your pistol for a few mags to see how they feed and all, but that's one area where your smaller capacity comes in handy. It's a lot cheaper to run 3 mags through your 938 than it is to run 2 out of my M&P :D

This exactly, even down to the M&P! Sitting on a pile of Hornady FTX in 9 and 40... and it's about to get bigger, as my PSA order is showing up tomorrow. They had the FTX stuff in both calibers for $10 and $11 a box of 20.

Lookup shootingthebull410 on youtube.

His tests in 9mm from a short barrel have shown 124gr HST and 147gr Ranger T to be the best in both bare and heavy denim gel tests for what it's worth.

That said, I carry 124gr Golden Sabers in my shield (similar barrel length) because I'm familiar with them and they have a good street reputation

• Like 1
I keep Hornady 115gran critical defense in my hip gun because i like Hornady and it preforms well in jell and hydra shocks in my LC9 in my boot for less felt recoil tnoutdoor9 on you tube has a really good vid on 9mm standard and +p you should check it out

Thanks. I've been loading whatever high quality hollow points were on sale or available at the time, and have run 20 rounds or so to function check before carrying it. Honestly, I don't know what the difference is in how the bullet or my gun performs with 115 vs 124 vs 147 grain. My owners manual says +p is ok run but don't know if it's needed

The gun should run similarly with the various bullet weights. Point of impact will shift vertically somewhat between weights.

A 115gr (in general) is a higher velocity, higher expansion system

147 gr (in general) is a lower velocity, higher mass, higher penetration system

124 gr (in general) is a medium between the two extremes

If you don't like recoil and 9's don;t have much try a box of Liberty Ultra Defense USM4 9MM 50 gr (Halo), hollow points.  

50 gr, 1900-2k fps, so-so expansion but you can unload a full clip into a target with the recoil of what I;d say is a .22.

Can you say, bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang? 

Now I only feel the need for a double tap with my colt .45....but 9's have been around forever, too. Consider the Military is steering themselves away from 9's for a reason.

Exactly.  If the rounds cycle and are accurate in your gun, that's 99% of it. 

That said, I think I've got 3 different 9mm HP's in 3 different pistols at the moment...  124gr Winchester in the Ruger, 115gr Hornady Critical Defense in the Shield, and 115gr Federal (?) in the S&W. 

I don't use +P ammo because I don't think any of my guns are rated for it and I just don't see the value. 

I don't get too wrapped up in loads as I think most modern rounds of SD ammo are pretty good. Where intend to pay attention a bit more is when loading for anything short barreled. I tend to like Speer rounds designed for short barrels.

Have run a lot of Ranger 147s thru a p938 without a hitch.  They have a thump, for sure...and that is a good thing.  I periodically a very good price for them over at sgammo.com - one of the better-priced PD rounds, actually.

Edited by GKar
Guest livefreeordie1

Just pick a good quality brand, Gold Dot, Hydra Shock, whichever.  Fire at least a couple hundred without any failures and then stick with them.  An inch or two of penetration or 1/10" of expansion is secondary to reliability.  You can have the latest and greatest "superbad*** , ultimate expansion, punch em deep" self defense round but if it won't cycle in your pistol then what use is it?

Just pick a good quality brand, Gold Dot, Hydra Shock, whichever.  Fire at least a couple hundred without any failures and then stick with them.  An inch or two of penetration or 1/10" of expansion is secondary to reliability.  You can have the latest and greatest "superbad*** , ultimate expansion, punch em deep" self defense round but if it won't cycle in your pistol then what use is it?

pretty much exactly this only I won't begrudge a gun or ammo the rare failure. Shoot a lot and it's bound to happen, of course an ongoing or even intermittent problem is a different matter.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

With all of today's improvements in modern 9mm jacketed hollow point self defense ammo, there's no need to ever feel undergunned. Performance of 9's get it done. The most important thing is accurate shots on target. Personally, I would stay away from 115 grain anything. It starts off fast but tends to slam on the brakes. I shot all but a couple mags worth of 115grain Remington I had for a long time and am running 147 grain Winchester White Box JHPs right now. I also mass load 135gr for training and SHTF in a Glock 17 and Beretta 92F.

However, since you're directly asking about self defense ammo for a compact firearm, you may get better accuracy out of a short barrel with a 124 grain projectile. The slightly lighter weight may allow the rifling to stabilize it better before leaving the barrel. Hornady and Federal also make 135gr JHPs.

I personally don't feel the need to have a bonded bullet. The chance of me shooting through a barrier in a self defense situation are pretty slim, in my opinion. If I were you, I'd just buy a box each of whatever's on the shelf, in 124gr and heavier. I'd do an accuracy and function test from a rest at 25 yards, to try and take the human error out and see which round is more accurate out of that pistol. Shoot 10 rounds per target and see how they grouped. I'd shoot 20 rounds from each box. If group size looked the same, I'd go with the heavier rounds since they carry their momentum better. Penetration is the first priority. Expansion, is a bonus.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Edited by Grunt81
  • Like 2

I appreciate the detailed advice, Grunt. I've collected a good assortment of 124gr 135gr and 147gr hp ammo, so I'll test it all out from the p938 for reliability and grouping as described and will report back. Thanks.

You're welcome Bud (pun intended) haha. That was my first post on this site, by the way.

What I've found to make a good pistol rest is this: If I'm outdoors sitting at a bench, a backpack, elevated to a comfortable height works fine. If I'm at an indoor range, then I take my Caldwell shooting bags. I stack the rear bag on top of the front bag, upside down. This makes a nice stable platform to rest your forearms on and maintain sight picture/sight alignment. When accuracy testing like that, I'll shoot 5 rounds slowly, put the weapon down and pick up my brass. Aside from inspecting the spent primers for pressure issues, I'm also letting my eye rest. Straining your eye for too long will make things look blurry that shouldn't be. Focus on the front sight, everything else should look out of focus or hazy. The accuracy test only needs to be done once. I save my targets for future reference. Then just blast, train, and have fun plinking with cheap ol' fmj.