Does this seem suspicious?

Erik88

Since you're trying to leave, it may not be worth the hassle, but if it were me and I was staying longer, I'd be replacing that wooden door with a steel one tomorrow.

The wood is steel on the outside but the core is wood. Doesn't the strength really come from the frame and the lock and not the door? If they want in bad enough I don't think it's going to matter.

The wood is steel on the outside but the core is wood. Doesn't the strength really come from the frame and the lock and not the door? If they want in bad enough I don't think it's going to matter.

Really there is almost NO strength in a door frame. You need to use 3" screws to go deep enough to reach a stud in the wall (the framing of the house). I like to use a solid piece of metal for the door and deadbolt strike catch plate and use several 3" screws to anchor it.

Something like these

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Door-Knobs-Hardware-Door-Security-Door-Frame-Reinforcers/N-5yc1vZc6mu/Ntk-Extended/Ntt-door+strike+plate?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

Reinforcing your exterior doors is a REALLY simple and cheap way to secure your home. If done right, someone will be at your door for hours trying to "kick it in".

Of course, picking or jimmying a lock is different - but a good deadbolt should be used on every exterior door and makes them a LOT more pick/jimmy proof.

Really there is almost NO strength in a door frame. You need to use 3" screws to go deep enough to reach a stud in the wall (the framing of the house). I like to use a solid piece of metal for the door and deadbolt strike catch plate and use several 3" screws to anchor it.

Something like these

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Door-Knobs-Hardware-Door-Security-Door-Frame-Reinforcers/N-5yc1vZc6mu/Ntk-Extended/Ntt-door+strike+plate?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

Reinforcing your exterior doors is a REALLY simple and cheap way to secure your home. If done right, someone will be at your door for hours trying to "kick it in".

Of course, picking or jimmying a lock is different - but a good deadbolt should be used on every exterior door and makes them a LOT more pick/jimmy proof.

You're right. What I was trying to say is that it doesn't matter how strong the actual door is if the lock and frame are not reinforced. In other words, I could keep the same door as long as I make the frame stronger. When I installed the new lock I went and bought the 3" screws to make it stronger. 

Thanks for the suggestions. 

Edited by Erik88
Kicking in a door is pretty easy. All you can do is try to make it so they can’t defeat the lock and have to make a bunch of noise if they decided to force it open.

I would bet when they heard your dogs; they left. Short of having someone standing there with a gun dogs are the best security system there is. Edited by DaveTN

Kicking in a door is pretty easy. All you can do is try to make it so they can’t defeat the lock and have to make a bunch of noise if they decided to force it open.

I would bet when they heard your dogs; they left. Short of having someone standing there with a gun dogs are the best security system there is.

I agree. The brown dog Gunner is a Belgian Malinois Mix(we think). He has a very deep menacing bark.

IMG_20141213_085639462_zpsp1iuqll3.jpg

• Like 1

The sheriff's office had a deputy at my house within 5 minutes of my call. He was the most polite and professional officer I've dealt with. He said they are seeing a lot of break ins during the day right now. He agreed it looked suspicious and said that my dog probably scared them off.

The Sheriff has a map on their website that shows all the crime in the county. There was a break in last month just down the street from me and one yesterday a few blocks over.

https://www.crimereports.com/map/index/?search=28.8041579,-81.72563200000002&agencyzoomlevel=13

Just amateurs looks like. That little button behind the latch is there to prevent credit-card style attacks (when it's pressed in by the striker, the latch part can't be pushed in). Though maybe on some models, holding the button down defeats that? Either way, they're likely to graduate to more serious stuff. Hope they catch them. You might want to consider a recording camera system.

Doesn't the strength really come from the frame and the lock and not the door?

It's both. My mother in law was home when a couple of punks came in on her and held her at gunpoint. They kicked in the door. Both the doorframe AND their wooden door failed. The striker plate broke out of the frame and the lock itself fell out of the splintered door. A steel door with a long (10" or more") striker plate to spread the force is a good setup. Better yet, one about 2' to 3' long with opening for both the latch and the deadbolt. If nothing else, at least get extra long screws for the striker plate. Usually the stock ones just get it into the door frame. You want to go through the door frame into the studs the frame is attached to.

I vote for be attempt without getting critical. Make sure your deadbolt operates properly. Use the kind that requires a key on both sides. Cameras are a coin toss due to ninjas masking up on entries. Cell backup for your alarm is a must have these days. If u want a camera get something that will send images via wifi inside your home looking at the door. Calling the Pd/sd is good, gets the turds on radar. Beef up your doorways or add a steel security door to the home. Hope this helps, pm me if I can help.

That right there is why I have a security camera system that has vandal resistant cameras. Those themselves are high enough that unless you were 7ft or taller you would not be able to touch them. I like being able to be anywhere in the US with a internet connection and see my house and what is going on around it. A time or two I seen someone walking around my house until they seen the cameras and went the other direction. If they had not and tried to get in while I was there we all know what would of happened next.

You really need a deadbolt in conjunction with that "entry lockset". They can still key bump a deadbolt, but it takes skills.

I had to google to see what you were talking about.

And holy cow! I didn't know it was this easy to defeat a deadbolt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2npDVM0_-vQ

As a side note, my parents shed, someone tried to beat and pry the lock off. We noticed it about 2 weeks back. I checked the front door and it had paint chipped in the same place almost as the door pictured in this thread. So my folks are putting a whole new steel door and frame on the house, etc., and getting a new alarm.

I still don't think anything will protect a home aside from an armed guard or being home and armed yourself. :meh:

I had to google to see what you were talking about.

And holy cow! I didn't know it was this easy to defeat a deadbolt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2npDVM0_-vQ

As a side note, my parents shed, someone tried to beat and pry the lock off. We noticed it about 2 weeks back. I checked the front door and it had paint chipped in the same place almost as the door pictured in this thread. So my folks are putting a whole new steel door and frame on the house, etc., and getting a new alarm.

I still don't think anything will protect a home aside from an armed guard or being home and armed yourself. :meh:

I was walking home one day and heard an alarm and saw a guy climbing out of a broken window. If someone's determined to get in, they will. I'm sure the alarm helped though as he wasn't carrying anything.

Kwikset is well known to be extremely low quality. I got locked out once and used a small screwdriver to pop the faceplate off the Kwikset and was in in seconds. I upgraded to a better lock but it's diminishing returns. The people who lived there after us had someone come in through the patio doors.

Edited by tnguy
  • 3 weeks later...
Just a follow up. On Monday I worked from home and caught 3 thugs snooping around my neighbors house. All were underage and charged with possession of marijuana.

I think they were trying to break in because they ripped the screen off the back door. Cops disagreed and wouldn't charge them. 2 of the thugs live in my neighborhood unfortunately.

At minimum they should have been charged with criminal trespass. Oh well.

I have a concern about using a deadbolt that requires a key to unlock from the inside, isn't that dangerous in case of a fire? Do those that have such locks keep a key in it while at home? I have always said an exterior door should swing to the outside because I would think it would be much harder to pull a door open as opposed to kicking it open, however I suppose they could use pry bars to pull it open. The best thing is to use the locks and make everything as hard as possible, the thugs like to be in and out quick. Put up security or game cameras around your place, heck one of mine is a dud that hasn't worked in 3 or 4 years, but if you come into my driveway you will see it cable locked to an oak tree. This gets the thugs to thinking anyway. Best deterrent is a big loud dog and an alarm system that can be heard for a country mile, plus a sign that reads Don't worry about the dog, worry about the dog's owner!!!!!!!!!!

Best deterrent is a big loud dog and an alarm system that can be heard for a country mile, plus a sign that reads Don't worry about the dog, worry about the dog's owner!!!!!!!!!!

I've never thought that was a good idea. Signs like that can be used by a good prosecutor to paint the home owner as a crazed gun nut who was just looking to execute someone. They serve no purpose but to stroke one's own ego.

I have a concern about using a deadbolt that requires a key to unlock from the inside, isn't that dangerous in case of a fire? Do those that have such locks keep a key in it while at home?

Yes, it makes it easy to find my keys when time to leave also.