Tell your women to watch their purse guns

E4 No More

Never, ever carry in a purse or bag. The reason is that is the first thing most bad guys grab leaving you without a way to protect yourself.

Reply is to no one person.

A bit more detail about separating the bag from the victim. There is a variety of reasons a bag is separated from a victim. The worst being a physical assault. Criminals will tell you the bag is where the threat to them is. Separating that threat is first priority. Good bye any means of defense for some. Best case scenario is the criminal is just a thief, but then he has your firearm :(

I recommend NO firearm if carried in a purse, bag or the dredded fanny pack. Guess where the firearm is ? The crook knows.

Back on topic. She paid the ultimate price for her stupid game. We are mostly free to choose what we think is right, she chose wrong and I hope someone learns from it.

I always caution the ladies I know to never carry in their purse. The BG's target is the purse. Once he gets that he not only has your gun, your money and your credit card but also your ID with your home address and your keys. What if he has other mischief in mind?

• Like 1

How would a two-year old be able to pull the trigger on a handgun? Wouldn't it have to be a pretty light... say less than 6 lb... trigger pull? 

Unless she carried it in condition 0, considering they don't have an external safety and going by Col. Jeff Coopers carry conditions(which I know was developed for the 1911 platform) thus this would leave it with very little effort to pull.

How would a two-year old be able to pull the trigger on a handgun? Wouldn't it have to be a pretty light... say less than 6 lb... trigger pull?

Little kids' hands are stronger than you think. They grab stuff and squeeze.

I got my wife a belt holster for Christmas. She liked it pretty well and I think (hope) she's decided the belt holster is easier than lugging it around in her purse.

Horrible tragedy.. and one that could have been avoided.. 

I agree with you 100% Oma. I have learned over many years that most tragedies like these could be prevented when people use common sense and in most cases it is the lack of that which allows such things as this to happen. I  stayed on my daughter for the longest time trying to get her to not carry in her purse. She has a LCP 380 I got her and there is no excuse for it to be in her purse. For Christmas I bought her and IWB holster made just for that type firearm because when ever she goes out without some kind of sweater or cover shirt on.  She is no longer putting her gun in her purse. She even wears it in the house to get use to having it on her person............ :up: :up:

• Like 1

A kid can put a lot more than 6 pounds behind it, but in fact, many people do carry usable guns that go bang when the trigger is pulled.   Wife and I both do; neither of us can operate the heavy trigger stuff.   I would not bet my life on a kid holding a glock, for one example of a lightish trigger, or my sig 938, or my wife's tweaked gp-100, or most anything else we kept (we sold most of the stuff we can't use long ago). 

For a plumber that can lift 75 pounds with his index finger, my sig 938 is a "hair trigger".   For a guy with bad repetitive stress injury, its about as much as I can stand to practice with.   And either way, if a 2 year old gets his hands on the gun, regardless of the trigger weight, the problem is not the trigger.  The problem is the unsupervised gun and child combo.... which has constantly proved to be a deadly mix over many decades.

Any word on what she was carrying?  All I've seen is that it was a small caliber handgun. I'd take a wild guess that it was an LCP or similar.

Also, we agree that she shouldn't be carrying in her purse, but recognizing some women would disregard this advice and carry in the purse anyway, what would be the best approach for purse carry?

I'd think it would be a handgun in a level three retention holster velcroed in place so it would always present at the same position, but I'd like to see what others think. 

Any word on what she was carrying?  All I've seen is that it was a small caliber handgun. I'd take a wild guess that it was an LCP or similar.

Also, we agree that she shouldn't be carrying in her purse, but recognizing some women would disregard this advice and carry in the purse anyway, what would be the best approach for purse carry?

I'd think it would be a handgun in a level three retention holster velcroed in place so it would always present at the same position, but I'd like to see what others think. 

Patton said on the first page that it was an M&P Shield. Yeah, a 2 year old can pull that trigger, but I have a safety on mine.

Edited by SWJewellTN