muzzle break question

Handsome Rob

Can someone with experience tell me: Does adding & removing a muzzle break affect accuracy/POI at all?
I'm considering adding a break to my .308 hog hunter purely for range work, but I'm aware that the extra muzzle blast & noise reflected backwards makes shooting without hearing protection a huge no-no.
I'd like the added recoil reduction for longer distance shooting (hopefully beyond 500yds) but it's also a hunting rifle & plugs are no good in the woods so it would have to come off for that.

Don't know anything about this one, but it has ok reviews and isn't super expensive.  I think the issue you will have is with the shorter barrel, muzzle blast without the shroud is going to be very loud and concussive.  I am not a fan of breaks in general.  I would probably go for some type of rest that helps with the recoil before a break if all I wanted it for was to help recoil while bench shooting long ranges.

http://www.amazon.com/Kineti-Tech-Muzzle-Redirect-threaded-Sleeve/dp/B00JTI6L1G/ref=pd_sim_sg_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=13HGR21G6QF31F66K28G

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

A brake may change your POI some.  Different devices may affect it more or less.  That said, a good device should be repeatable so long as it's installed and clocked back to the same position.

You might be able to have a zero with the brake and a zero without the brake.

• Like 1

Like the Noveske's? Not being a smartass, asking legitimately, lol.

No, something like this with a muzzle brake inside the outer tube:

muzzle-brake-sleeves.jpg

Shooting at the range with the brake then screw on the outer tube when hunting.

Or like this:

ferfrans-brake-shroud.jpg

BTW, here is the brake above for cheaper:

http://www.kineti-tech.com/kineti-tech-muzzle-brake-with-sound-redirect-with-13-16-x-16-threaded-sleeve-2-piece/

Don't know anything about this one, but it has ok reviews and isn't super expensive. I think the issue you will have is with the shorter barrel, muzzle blast without the shroud is going to be very loud and concussive. I am not a fan of breaks in general. I would probably go for some type of rest that helps with the recoil before a break if all I wanted it for was to help recoil while bench shooting long ranges.

http://www.amazon.com/Kineti-Tech-Muzzle-Redirect-threaded-Sleeve/dp/B00JTI6L1G/ref=pd_sim_sg_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=13HGR21G6QF31F66K28G

I didn't know such a thing existed. This may be the ideal solution.
I'm still not 100% sure I'll even need to bother about a brake. I doubt I'm a good enough shot to really be able to notice an accuracy advantage over the standard barrel. The recoil doesn't bother me at all, I was thinking more about the muzzle flip & recoil affecting over all accuracy at longer range.
I have so little experience past 500yds (& that from many years ago) that I don't really know what affects what, & what can or need be done to improve things. If you see what I mean! Edited by robtattoo

I didn't know such a thing existed. This may be the ideal solution.
I'm still not 100% sure I'll even need to bother about a brake. I doubt I'm a good enough shot to really be able to notice an accuracy advantage over the standard barrel. The recoil doesn't bother me at all, I was thinking more about the muzzle flip & recoil affecting over all accuracy at longer range.
I have so little experience past 500yds (& that from many years ago) that I don't really know what affects what, & what can or need be done to improve things. If you see what I mean!

You really may want to give the BCM comp a try.  It helps with muzzle flip, but is not as loud or obnoxious as a straight brake.  My experience with it (5.56) has been fantastic.

Ah, just gave it a googling.
Probably a combo of both.
If at all.

I'm split on the possible benefits (reduced recoil, reduced flip, possible greater accuracy potential) vs the negatives (extra weight, extra barrel length, extra noise, knocking the glasses off the poor bastard next to me...)

I guess I'm looking for an opinion as to whether it's worth considering right now. The rifle is neither a dedicated hunting or target gun, although it'll spend most of it's time on the range. I still need it to be handy for those 20yd, thick brush hog hunts as well as the cross canyon elk & antelope hunts.

Don't know anything about this one, but it has ok reviews and isn't super expensive.  I think the issue you will have is with the shorter barrel, muzzle blast without the shroud is going to be very loud and concussive.  I am not a fan of breaks in general.  I would probably go for some type of rest that helps with the recoil before a break if all I wanted it for was to help recoil while bench shooting long ranges.

I have this one on an AR and I like it pretty good. With the tube off, it does a lot better job of keeping the muzzle on target (as you'd expect). I think it works best with the tube on. It seems much quieter and throws a cool looking fireball out the front. I'm definitely buying another.

• Like 1

I have this one on an AR and I like it pretty good. With the tube off, it does a lot better job of keeping the muzzle on target (as you'd expect). I think it works best with the tube on. It seems much quieter and throws a cool looking fireball out the front. I'm definitely buying another.

I got one after seeing pics of BigKs and agree on all points, especially the "I'm definitely buying another" bit. One thing I'd recommend though, for whatever reason these are cheaper on their website than amazon, also make sure and buy one of their timing rings to go with it. It's pricey for what it is but IMO well worth the cost over a crush washer. Really can't go wrong with one of these, might look a little funny on the end of a bolt gun, but then again it may not and who cares anyway? 

• Like 1