17 pounds in 17 days

That is what I have lost so far and plan on being in the 150 range by my birthday in June.

Been eating ~700 calories a day and nearly zero carbs as well as limiting fats substantially. I can't exercise so it is diet only for me and seems to be working. I have also cut out all caffeine and any sort of processed foods. I cook fresh food for every meal.

After years of 230+ cholesterol and adding a few pounds a month it was time.

• Like 13
I'm gonna preface this by saying I know it sounds horrible...

But all the people in the concentration camps that I've ever seen pictures of (even the ones that I presume didn't get much exercise) still lost plenty of weight. So i always figured it ain't all about exercise.

I hope my brand of motivation is what you were looking for haha Edited by JWC

It's amazing how much better "eating clean" (all natural foods) will make you feel.  Plus now you don't have to worry about those idiots at he Burger King anymore!  Personally I try to eat clean, eat as much as I want and lead an active lifestyle.  It works for me, if I were eating junk in the quantities that I eat clean food I'd be fat as mud and feel like crap.  It costs more but I consider it an investment in my health, less time I'll have to spend in a doctors office, and less down time due to health issues.  BTW deer meat is a huge part of my diet.

• Like 1

Actually it doesn't cost any more than a "regular" meal.

It's not really more expensive. Tonight I had a pork chop with dry rub, Squash and zucchini sautéed in butter and garlic. I will have enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow and dinner along with another chop for this weekend. 3.38 for 4 pork chops, few bucks for garlic, squash and zucchini. 

I guess it is more expensive for me because I try really hard to only eat organic meat.  Mostly deer but when I have to buy it it is roughly twice as much as regular meat.

Well, yes with that route it is. I wish I had enough deer to make it through the year. Fish, I got. I am going try and  do some more turkey hunting and deer hunting this year. Land is my struggle unless I want to drive over a hour. 

That is what I have lost so far and plan on being in the 150 range by my birthday in June.

Been eating ~700 calories a day and nearly zero carbs as well as limiting fats substantially. I can't exercise so it is diet only for me and seems to be working. I have also cut out all caffeine and any sort of processed foods. I cook fresh food for every meal.

Check out these things:  http://www.healthychoice.com/products/cafe-steamers

Walmart usually has them for $2 on sale, 3 of them is normally less than 900 calories and they keep you full.  I started eating them at work for lunch just to cut back and ended up liking them so they go down for dinner now too.  Cut off about 10 pounds between Nov-Dec doing that and can't exercise a lick either.

I am glad it is working for you, but I will say that 700 calories a day isn't enough for anyone.  I understand not being able to exercise, but losing that much weight that fast isn't healthy either.  I would personally recommend moderating a little more.   The weight will still come off, just not quite as fast.  Don't create other issues by starving yourself. You are most likely losing muscle mass and not just fat.  Just my opinion.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 3

Way too many carbs in those.

here's a good one for you and almost zero carbs.  boil 4-5 pounds of some chicken breasts ( i like them from the crock pot).  Shred with fork after.  Mix in a bottle of this:  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cattlemen-s-Master-s-Reserve-Carolina-Tangy-Gold-BBQ-Sauce-18-oz/17247770 then put the dish in the oven under the broiler until the tips blacken a little bit.

You come up with some of the best bbq chicken that can be eaten with nothing, or on sandwiches for a week.  It's extremely good too, we do it at least once a month.  Here's a smaller batch of it

1401625_10200763325710270_1293875596_o.j

Congrats on the progress!  I'm working on that too, but I'm not trying quite as hard as you.... not sure I'd maintain my sanity on 700 calories/day.  I have a birthday of significance coming up so I'm trying to lose 15-20 lbs before then.  I've lost 7-8 lbs so far. 

• Like 1

When you get a minute, could you tell us more about what you're (or the Kraut's  :)  ) cooking?

My situation...

Early / mid 40s, 6'03" / 240 (in my prime, I was 215-220).

Bloodwork?  Everything is great, except for mid 200s cholesterol and I am one of the 10% who is "statin intolerant."

My latest back surgery has really kicked my ass.  I can still exercise, but the surgery has, for the first time, made me focus on my diet as well...and I'm not used to that.

Thanks

Edited by TN-popo

I am down 15 or so now since we started this. I had a different reason for doing this and it was a wake-up call for sure . Having a good doctor to help explain things about certain diseases will help. Stay way from processed foods at all costs.

I reduced my sugar levels by 200 within the first 2 weeks of starting this.Taking Medformin helps to regulate my sugar level also. But mostly attribute this to husbands cooking for us and counting carbs and calories.

We eat less than 50 carbs a day and around 700 calories{ give or take 100 or so}

No venison...yuck..lol

When you get a minute, could you tell us more about what you're (or the Kraut  :)  ) is cooking?

My situation...

Early / mid 40s, 6'03" / 240 (in my prime, I was 215-220).

Bloodwork?  Everything is great, except for mid 200s cholesterol and I am one of the 10% who is "statin intolerant."

My latest back surgery has really kicked my ass.  I can still exercise, but the surgery has, for the first time, made me focus on my diet as well...and I'm not used to that.

Thanks

serving size is key...

We make a lot of currysoups..chicken or fish or salads..

cod fillet with  4 cups of water..curry ,cardamom, some greenery.{cabbage works well} and 1/4 of a cup of coconut milk.

.buy some bottles of ponzu sauce for seasoning..red wine vinegar...Splenda or Monkey in the Raw sugar ..use it sparingly..no sodas at all..avpid sugar like the plague..

salads we use around 70 grams of lettuce and grilled chicken of the Foreman Grill..again..portion control is key...

• Like 1

The reason for this is my wife recently found out she has diabetes. It runs in her family so we knew it was always a risk. It also runs in my family so it was just the luck of the draw that she got diagnosed first. But it is a wake up call for us. We spent a lifetime eating anything we wanted and often eating to excess. We thought we were eating healthy and we often would eat healthy food but we would eat way too much. So for us it is not about keep sugar levels low which means counting carbs. We take in less than 8 carbs per meal but even without carbs we have great food, it is all about spices.

Ok, for breakfast it is generally two eggs and two pieces of bacon. We drink either carbonated water or caffeine free tea.

For lunch, which is the big meal of the day, we grill about 150g of chicken or 160g of fish and split a serving shrimp. We will add 72g of white mushrooms. This is normally in a curry soup but one could leave out the curry and have a nice chicken soup. We will add some sort of green vegetable to it as well but only a serving size worth. Curry powder supposedly has carbs but one of the ingredients actually cause the blood sugar to drop.

For dinner we have the same amount of chicken and shrimp but mixed in with 75g-100g of lettuce. For dressings we use whatever we want but we ALWAYS use the recommended servings. I always thought eating salad was healthy and it would be except before I would smother it with 1/2 a bottle of dressing.

For snacks we have mackerel or oopsie bread. Oopsie bread is made without any flour and is almost pancake like. My wife also makes jerky for snacks, store bought stuff isn't very good for you.

The biggest thing is use the recommended serving size for everything and limit what you eat to 3-4 items per meal. And the second most important thing is to not each anything substantial for the last 5 hours you are awake. And finally get up an move, even if only to walk to check the mail. I cannot exercise at all other than 15-20 minute walks but that is enough to make a difference. Oh, and cut out sodas or other sweetened drinks. I used to drink a lot of green tea but the problem is it had about 180 calories worth of sugar in each bottle.

• Like 2

And one more thing. I do not believe people eat until full anymore. I think they eat until they feel sick. The reason is food tastes great, especially the processed ones with extra fat and sugars added. So people, including me, eat and eat until they food is gone or until they are sick. Plenty of times I have ate then had to throw up because I ate way too much.

I will say that cutting substantially back on sugars and eliminating caffeine sucks, I mean REALLY sucks but after 3-4 days I felt great. No more waking up groggy or feeling tired during the day like before. Also, I sleep a lot better than I have in a very long time.

But like I said use the recommended portions for the 3-4 different food items and try to cut as much of processed food and carbs out of the diet. It is not that hard to do once you get the hang of it and honestly I do not feel like I am missing a meal.

• Like 1

Yep, portion control is the key.  The hard part of that is adjusting your perception of what a serving should look like, and then adjusting the size of your stomach so a serving makes you feel satisfied. 

And that's another point.... I think of it as 3 levels of the quantity you eat. 

1 - eat until you're satisfied. 

2 - eat until you're full.

3 - eat until you're stuffed and miserable.

For me... eating until level 2 was normal and level 3 was pretty regular.  Over the course of a day, level 2 is probably +200-400 calories and level 3 is +500-1000 calories.  That's a lot.  Having the discipline to stop at level 1 is really hard for me.  Food is expensive and I hate wasting it.  I wish I was like my 4 yr old... when he's hungry, he eats.  When he's not hungry, it's hard to convince him to eat anything.  He's skinny as a rail. 

I've also got diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure in my family.  I make an effort to control my salt and sugar intake.  Blood work shows sugar is fine and cholesterol is borderline high.  I try to eat reasonably healthy foods but I have a sweet tooth and I'm a stress eater. 

Reducing my salt intake has changed my taste for things considerably.  A lot of restaurant food just doesn't taste very good anymore.  The majority of it just tastes like it's drowning in salt.  That helps me not eat so much...  

Edited by peejman