Teen paralyzed in pellet gun accident

DaveTN

We used to have bb gun wars all the time growing up, but there are pellet guns cheaply available today that have a similar performance of a rimfire rifle. They were available then too and a few of us had one, but they weren't allowed in the fights. I do recall a few years after high school hearing that one of my former classmates had shot another in the top of his foot with a heavy duty air rifle and that the other kid was walking with a cane for some years after. 

It's a shame that it only takes a few instances like this and before you know it air guns will have the same stigma as real guns in the anti crowd.

• Like 2
You are right about them having more power now days i have seen them in the stores but never really payed them any attention. On Sunday i was out in my yard talking to my neighbor her what sounds like a 22lr going off. At that point he tells me it was his son trying to sight in his pellet rifle they brought it over for me to bore sight the scope it took some butt to brake it down

You are right about them having more power now days i have seen them in the stores but never really payed them any attention. On Sunday i was out in my yard talking to my neighbor her what sounds like a 22lr going off. At that point he tells me it was his son trying to sight in his pellet rifle they brought it over for me to bore sight the scope it took some butt to brake it down

Did you tell him you don’t bore sight when you can shoot? biggrin.gif
The kid is 10 and it was his frist firearm. His parents are kind of crunchy his grandfather is the one who bought him the rifle and asked me if i could help him out. They came over and i gave the kid a little lessons on safety and how to clean his rifle
As my two sons were growing up they were never allowed to have BB guns or pellet guns. Those things fit in a category somewhere in between a toy and a real gun. So they never get the respect they should.
To this day I would rather go hunting with them than any of the other people I have met. When the youngest one turned 21 I took them to Knob Creek. I bought them both pellet guns. A couple of weeks later I learned that one was shooting his neighborhood dogs and the other is shooting the neighborhood black kids "with the pellet guns"
My wife just bought me one of the Crossman M4-177 pellet/bb guns for my birthday. It's advertised up to 700fps. That is screaming for a air rifle IMO. I haven't owned one since I was a kid so I was completely out of the loop. In my backyard "ballistics testing" I've found that a pellet will go through both sides of a gallon milk jug filled with water, I was amazed.

Neat little air rifle though. Takes AR stocks and sights.

Sad situation. The 5 rules of firearm safety carry you a long way around anything that goes bang

As my two sons were growing up they were never allowed to have BB guns or pellet guns. Those things fit in a category somewhere in between a toy and a real gun. So they never get the respect they should.

To this day I would rather go hunting with them than any of the other people I have met. When the youngest one turned 21 I took them to Knob Creek. I bought them both pellet guns. A couple of weeks later I learned that one was shooting his neighborhood dogs and the other is shooting the neighborhood black kids "with the pellet guns"

I disagree.  I was taught that an airgun was to be treated with the same respect as a "real gun" I was trained using an air rifle on how to shoot and how to safely handle a weapon.  But, I had an upbringing in which I was also taught the value of life and treating other life, both two legged and four, as I wanted to be treated.  That didn't include shooting at animals just to see them get shot or shooting people that didn't have the same skin color as myself as a past time.    

• Like 1

It's a shame that the young man might be paralyzed for life. When I graduated from cap pistols to my first Daisey BB gun my Father also taught me that a BB gun is a real gun and it can hurt and kill for real and my lessons on how to handle a real gun began and to this day are burned into my mind and if I still owned a BB gun it would be treated with the same respect as a Barrett 50 Cal and everything in between. I taught my sons the same way I was taught but they learned by first shooting my guns before getting guns of their own. Shotguns were their own first firearms. My son taught his two sons in the same manner I taught him............ :2cents: 

Bad news there. Reminds me of the BB guns wars we had when I was a kid. No pellets allowed and only 1 pump on rifles. It's amazing no one got hurt.

I still have one in my right leg.... :rant:

I had forgotten about it entirely until last year I needed a knee x-ray, and the technician was like.... :ugh:  "Do you know what this is?" hehe

At 21?

At 21?
Actually 21 and 24 at the time. I didn't say they were smart. I just spent a lot of time with them on [real] gun handling.

Looks like they're well on their way to being fine, upstanding pillars of the community.  :unsure:

• Like 1