Questions about the CZ75 platform.

res308

I have been having (once again) thoughts about switching over to the CZ platform for almost all of my handgun needs. Current everyday carry and work platform is Glock, and I've had no problems with them. However, I've always had a love for the CZ platform. They are certainly more "soul-stirring" for me. The ergonomics are great for me, and I have no questions about their dependability. I used to own a CZ75 SP-01 Tactical. It was hands down the finest shooting handgun I have ever experienced. I did let it go in order to return to the Glock platform for the whole familiarity issue, and honestly, I regret letting it go. It was not all that great for everyday carry due to the size and weight, but nevertheless a fantastic weapon. I know the SP-01 (all-steel version) is significantly heavier than the standard CZ75, but the SP-01 is the only CZ I have ever owned. I have owned, at one time or other, Glock, Smith, HK, Kimber, Springfield, Ruger, Sig, Taurus, Beretta, and even one Detonics, maybe some others I'm forgetting. But, only the one CZ, and I miss it. So my questions, at least for this particular post, are only about the CZ.

My questions are for those of you who have actual first-hand experience with a CZ75, such as the B or BD, or 85, and/or the compact models such as the PCR, Compact, P01, etc. Yes, I'd like to have two of them. And I'd especially like to hear from those of you who have switched from some other handgun platform over to the CZ.

What has been your experience with the CZ line, and/or the changeover to that? What benefits are there, in your opinion, to moving to that line? And, what have been the drawbacks? What feelings and opinions have you derived from carrying a CZ with you and on you on a constant basis, such as concealed carry?

Thanks for your input.

Edited by res308

I am like you. My 75 Compact is easily the most accurate gun I own. It is the most natural pointer. I got rid of my Glock 19's because the CZ is so much better. Yes, it's heavier, and it was harder to find a holster. It just amazes me every time I shoot it. I'm wanting a full size now to compliment it.

I don't care for their polymer offerings. They just don't feel as good, to me.

I chose CZ over other brands, because to me the pros outweigh the cons. In fact, the ergonomics and accuracy alone outweigh the cons for me but that's just me. I also think they're good looking guns. Love the lines and little contours that they have. I prefer DA/SA handguns anyway, so that's a plus as well.

The biggest drawback would be the cost and availablility of accessories and gear. Mags cost more, holsters have to almost exclusively be ordered online, and currently I believe you have only one choice for tritium sights (Meprolight). I've heard some say weight is an issue, but if you compare models of equal size, I think you're only squabbling over 3 or 4 ounces. Your striker-fired fans don't like the heavy first pull of the trigger or the take-up of a DA/SA, but I like it.

I have 6 CZ pistol (82, P-01, PCR, SP-01, Phantom, and Shadow) and I'd put their accuracy and reliability up against anything on the market. You already trust the reliability, so I won't beat that horse. I think the accuracy is due to the comfort in your hand and the much lower than average bore axis. I took a Glock 17 to a class once and used a Glock 34 in IDPA for a while and honestly, it beat my thumb to death (small hands). I was actually bleeding by the end of the day. The beavertail on my CZs don't do that.

I prefer the decocker models and find them safer to carry at half-cocked and safer when making ready due to being able to drop the hammer safely. However, my SP-01 and my Shadow are the ones I've used most in IDPA and they were a pleasure to shoot.

Hope my ramblings helped.

I am like you. My 75 Compact is easily the most accurate gun I own. It is the most natural pointer. I got rid of my Glock 19's because the CZ is so much better. Yes, it's heavier, and it was harder to find a holster. It just amazes me every time I shoot it. I'm wanting a full size now to compliment it.

I love my P-01 the best, it's a G19 slayer for sure, LOL. CZ discontinued their best polymer gun, the Phantom. If you ever run across one, you'll love it. It feels just like the steel models only lighter. Too bad they never made a compact version of the Phantom. I have friends that swear by their P-07s, though. I just prefer the PCR and P-01 the most. Edited by BigK
  • Like 1

I just might someday regret letting you have that back!!  It did have the sweetest CZ trigger I ever felt.

But I've moved on...the comments on PPQ that you so loved got me into one.

In my reality, it's a close choice between the two for me.

But back on track, the FS 75 I have is awesome. Dare I say that I like shooting it as much as my BHP? It really is that good, but just too heavy for me as a carry. 

I bought a Pre-B CZ 85 in 1992 and have since owned a CZ 75 .40,, two CZ 85 B's, and a CZ 83. For me there is no other handgun for defensive purposes because of it's superior ergonomics. I have fired thousand round instsructor courses with them and they functioned flawlessly. You might find this kindle book helpful: http://www.amazon.com/EVOLUTION-CZ-85-Jerry-Paregien-ebook/dp/B00DOPTMF2/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1428427051&sr=1-1&keywords=The+evolution+of+the+CZ+85. It compares the new CZ75B/85B series with the older Pre-B series and gives accuracy testing and other useful information. Its costs a whopping 99 cents and Amazon has a free Kindle download if you don't have a Kindle.

Edited by EssOne

I chose CZ over other brands, because to me the pros outweigh the cons. In fact, the ergonomics and accuracy alone outweigh the cons for me but that's just me. I also think they're good looking guns. Love the lines and little contours that they have. I prefer DA/SA handguns anyway, so that's a plus as well.

The biggest drawback would be the cost and availablility of accessories and gear. Mags cost more, holsters have to almost exclusively be ordered online, and currently I believe you have only one choice for tritium sights (Meprolight). I've heard some say weight is an issue, but if you compare models of equal size, I think you're only squabbling over 3 or 4 ounces. Your striker-fired fans don't like the heavy first pull of the trigger or the take-up of a DA/SA, but I like it.

I have 6 CZ pistol (82, P-01, PCR, SP-01, Phantom, and Shadow) and I'd put their accuracy and reliability up against anything on the market. You already trust the reliability, so I won't beat that horse. I think the accuracy is due to the comfort in your hand and the much lower than average bore axis. I took a Glock 17 to a class once and used a Glock 34 in IDPA for a while and honestly, it beat my thumb to death (small hands). I was actually bleeding by the end of the day. The beavertail on my CZs don't do that.

I prefer the decocker models and find them safer to carry at half-cocked and safer when making ready due to being able to drop the hammer safely. However, my SP-01 and my Shadow are the ones I've used most in IDPA and they were a pleasure to shoot.

Hope my ramblings helped.

I love my P-01 the best, it's a G19 slayer for sure, LOL. CZ discontinued their best polymer gun, the Phantom. If you ever run across one, you'll love it. It feels just like the steel models only lighter. Too bad they never made a compact version of the Phantom. I have friends that swear by their P-07s, though. I just prefer the PCR and P-01 the most.

Yep, your ramblings do help. That was a very well written post. Thanks for that. I agree on the double action pull. It may be a little heavy for first pull, but being an old wheel gun guy, I'm used to that. I guess the only thing I've hesitated about is whether or not this will be a practical choice for me, being that some of the other platforms are so much more widely spread. But, on the other hand, I am the type of hard-headed critter that likes nothing more than to not be the same as everyone else. I definitely like something different. I forgot to mention, as far as parts and mag availability goes, I've not seen that as much of an issue since they seem to be more easily found nowadays. I'm actually trying to work a couple deals now. May have a P01 on the hook, and possible a 75B. And I'll still retain my 19. We'll see what happens. Thanks for all the input so far.

Edited by res308

I had a PCR at one time with a Cajun Gun Works trigger kit I installed. It was a fine shooting gun that felt amazing in my hand but it just wasn't comfortable for me to carry. I also had trouble manipulating the slide as fast as a Glock because it isn't big and square like a Glock.

With that said I would trade my Gen 2 G19 for it any day because it was a very sweet shooting gun. One I hate that I let go. Just wasn't practical for me to carry.

I would buy another Glock though for carry.  :pleased:

As much as I like the CZ 75 I've never liked it enough to purchase one or its subsequent descendants. Instead I've stayed with other brands of striker fired pistol's and 1911 platforms. I've always considered the CZ 75 to be more of and improved development of the P-35 BHP which turned out rather well. Size wise I prefer the G-19 as its familiarity is second nature to me.

The CZ 75 and the BHP are two entirely different animals, especially the B series CZ's. For anyone who would like to see an extremely authoritative comparison of the two, BHP authority Steven A. Camp covered it in great detail in his article: "Browning/FN Hi Power and CZ-75: Are They Related? " from his blog HiPowers and Handguns, and can be found here

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Browning%20and%20CZ.htm

FWIW

My first cz75 was a very early import.  I fell in love with it then.  I then bought a cz75B when they became readily available.  That pistol now has over 40K rounds through it.  Still shoots very nicely.  My wife tried to steal it, so I had to buy her a CZ75B of her own.  I then bought a CZ75 Compact.  My wife DID steal that one.  So I had to buy another.

I never bought one of the polymer CZs.  they are probably great guns.  But they don't balance as well in my hand.

If you like, it, get one.  If you don't, that's why there are so many different kinds of guns.  Ain't the free market great!

I really like the platform. 

For general purpose, the one that fits me the best is the RAMI model.  It has a letter but I forget what it is.  I have the steel version, which weighs more and tames the recoil better, but you have your choice between the heavy and light versions of it.  With a solid capacity (I think the bigger mags hold 12 or 13 or something), a medium bordering on small frame, and all the cz goodness,  it is a great pick if you want something besides the full sized models.   I find it to be very accurate as well.    My wife carries this gun at the moment, but she changes guns ever year or two.  Her full sized EAA clone is her favorite 9mm though, and has been for many years -- carrying the rami is an extension of that.   I have carried the rami, and I may again, its excellent -- right now I have a smaller & thinner single stack 9. 

If you mean the Rami 2075, that is a very underappreciated pistol.

I got one at a gun show years ago, actually turned out to be from one of our members, and got talked out of it.

Took some time, but I did find another a year or so later at another show.

I was hot-footing it down the last row of tables, trying to not look at all the jewelry and other items.

Suddenly something caught me eye and I went back. In the middle of a bunch of old, old revolvers; this CZ plastic box stood out.

The little pistol looked brand new, and I don't think it had been fired since leaving Checkoslavkia. It looked it at any rate.

I asked about price, tried to dicker a bit, but the old gentleman wasn't moving. so I gave him 325 for it and gripped all the way home. Edited by hipower

...The little pistol looked brand new, and I don't think it had been fired since leaving Checkoslavkia. It looked it at any rate.I asked about price, tried to dicker a bit, but the old gentleman wasn't moving. so I gave him 325 for it and gripped all the way home.

If you got a like new RAMI 2075 for $325, I'd say you made out like a bandit. I don't recall seeing one in that ballpark...EVER. Kudos

If you got a like new RAMI 2075 for $325, I'd say you made out like a bandit. I don't recall seeing one in that ballpark...EVER. Kudos

Well as I said, it has been a few years ago, about 3 I think.

IIRC. I bought my first one from JPS at the old Murfreesboro show, and paid a bit more for it.

I went back to Glock. My ownership experience is limited to a CZ 75BD Police and .40 S&W Glocks. However, I've shot a friends CZ 75 Pre-B and plenty of 9MM Glock pistols...my observations, some objective and some subjective are as follows: 

I shot the CZ's better in SA than I shoot Glock. I attribute this to weight of the pistol and not the slide inside the frame. Then again, my Glock experience is mostly in .40.I'm also not a big fan of the Glock grip angle. I have small/medium hands and had issues with the CZ triggers in DA. Stock CZ triggers aren't the best but they're decent. The CZ felt great in the hand and pointed naturally. All metal CZ 75 series pistols do. CZ's have great balance. For me, Glocks not so much.        

Glocks have an inexpensive aftermarket. Even though CZ's are right on it for "bang for your buck" when it comes to buying a pistol, you'll pay premium price for anything attributed to aftermarket, i.e., holsters, mags, gunsmithing, etc. You can purchase 3 Glock mags for the price of 1 factory CZ 75 or CZ 75SP01 mag. Also, unless you've got an advanced engineering degree, it will be difficult to do any of your own work on CZ's. I never did anything more than clean the gun and put in hex grip screws. I'm no rocket scientist. I can tear a Glock completely apart and rebuild it without looking at schematics. I was always afraid I'd have to ship off the CZ to be rebuilt if I tinkered too much.  

I never carried the CZ. For me, it was too heavy. Obviously CZ has smaller pistols than the full-size, but when I tried to find a CZ 2075 Rami BD in 9MM locally to have a kid brother for the full size, I couldn't find one. I looked for a full year. I saw them on line in the $650-$800 range. I looked at a PCR for awhile but knew deep down it wouldn't replace the Glock 23 I have so much practice with. I don't think I could have comfortably concealed the PCR in warm weather anyway.      

I sold the CZ, not because I didn't like it, but because I consolidated handgun calibers and it was the only 9MM I had. Mine had the black polycoat finish. I liked the way it looked. Glocks are fugly. My buddy bought his Pre-B from Robertson's Trading Post for a little over $300. It was made in the late-80's and looks like someone took steel wool to the slide and frame. It was still every bit as accurate as my newly manufactured CZ. The Czechs can make a handgun.   

I'm not a Glock fanboy. CZ's have sexy Czech cold war appeal like forbidden fruit. They are the elusive, exotic European spy. Glocks are the chubby Austrian girl next door who's always around. One of these days I'll own another CZ. Right now, for me it all boils down to availability and affordability. That's the biggest drawback. The platform preference is truly personal.           

"The chubby Austrian girl."
I, uh, well, I may never fondle my Glock the same after reading that.;)
You're right though. That's one thing Glocks do have on just about anything else - the sheer simplicity. Edited by res308

the double action issue can be solved.  CZ aftermarket has a SAO kit for most of their products, I put that in my rami and it becomes a cocked and locked system.   Some of the czs even support both modes -- the 82/83 for example could be either a da/sa or a cocked and locked ready to go, depending on what the user preferred.   Dunno about the modern ones but I think the bulk of the 75 family (out of the box) is just da/sa though, and as said, that first pull is too stout. 

As for simple, makarov wins that one lol.   Most of the parts do 2-3 things at once, and it has one of the lowest part counts of all semi-autos + super simple to break down and work on.  Glocks are simple enough.  The CZ is NOT simple.  AT ALL.   It is like a clock in there.

• Like 1

the double action issue can be solved.  CZ aftermarket has a SAO kit for most of their products, I put that in my rami and it becomes a cocked and locked system.   Some of the czs even support both modes -- the 82/83 for example could be either a da/sa or a cocked and locked ready to go, depending on what the user preferred.   Dunno about the modern ones but I think the bulk of the 75 family (out of the box) is just da/sa though, and as said, that first pull is too stout. 

As for simple, makarov wins that one lol.   Most of the parts do 2-3 things at once, and it has one of the lowest part counts of all semi-autos + super simple to break down and work on.  Glocks are simple enough.  The CZ is NOT simple.  AT ALL.   It is like a clock in there.

Yeah, I can completely gut and polish a Glock in just a few minutes, or hours, depending on what TV show is on at the time. But that's one DISadvantage I have, I've never dug into a CZ. So I can understand your point there.
I hope you can make it to the NRA convention this weekend. They have one of every CZ in their lineup along with all their rifles and shotguns. In fact, the highlight of the show for me today was meeting Angus Hobdell. He was one of their first successful pro shooters and now runs CZ Custom out in AZ. He's an awesome guy. He had some cool stories about getting in/out of countries with his guns back in the day for international matches.
  • Like 1

Scored myself a like new RAMI 2075 D today for 490.00 today..... I've been wanting to add one of these guns to my collection for years but every time I was ready to take the bait the decocker version would be sold out...... So after finding a nice used one I swallowed the bait hook line & sinker; just need to get it shipped to a local FFL nearest to the house. I've always admired the way these guns felt in the hand as I can get two fingers SOLIDLY wrapped around the grip and I like that it is more pistol than my SIG 938 and less weight than my 1911 Compacts....

Corrected from B to D this is a decocker not a manual safety model....

Edited by teecro
  • Like 1