Has a small issue yesterday in Cookville!

I thought about your post last night and thought I would chime in. I think skin color actually has a place in the story. It's yet another example of aggression by young black males.

Add this to the list of everything else we've seen lately and I think it's relevant. No one wants to discuss the elephant in the room.

To answer your question, I would have acted the same if it were a group of white trash males but the research by Bill Whittle, using FBI crime statistics, says that when it comes to aggravated assault blacks are 200x more likely to assault whites than the other way around. 200 times!

We've seen flash mobs where hundreds of young blacks are destroying malls and attacking people. The kid at the Kroger in Memphis had the crap stomped out of him. We've seen the so called "knock out game" where the victims are usually white. We've seen numerous retaliation attacks against white folks because of the so called "social injustice". I just saw where a white guy in Baltimore was beaten nearly to death. He is clinging to life right now.

After the Treyvon shooting a man in Sanford was drug out of his truck and beaten to death with a hammer. Why? Justice for Treyvon of course.

I could go on an on.

There is a disproportionate amount of crime by blacks against non-blacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGTUcS-yQtQ

I would have made the same post if it were Hispanics or White Kids and i would have mentioned race to make it clear for readers. I am not racist in any way, form or fashion but when trying to explain a situation it is best if you do clarify details........jmho

I would have made the same post if it were Hispanics or White Kids and i would have mentioned race to make it clear for readers. I am not racist in any way, form or fashion but when trying to explain a situation it is best if you do clarify details........jmho

I understand. I would have done the same. Another reason why it's important too is for anyone who lives in the area or stops at that same gas station. They can know who/what to look out for.

I just wanted to share my thoughts on the crime stats that Bill Whittle so eloquently presents. Talking about the issue doesn't make it racist. 

• Like 5

I liken calling 911 in a situation like this to tattling to the teacher in grade school. This is something I was taught not to do, and something I've passed along to my kids. Try to take care of your business yourself; don't run tattling every time someone looks at you funny. I guess this is an indication of the weenie society in which we now live.

• Like 2

I liken calling 911 in a situation like this to tattling to the teacher in grade school. This is something I was taught not to do, and something I've passed along to my kids. Try to take care of your business yourself; don't run tattling every time someone looks at you funny. I guess this is an indication of the weenie society in which we now live.

Had it escalated to the point I was required to actually remove my Bersa from my holster, even if the kids all scattered and ran, at that point I would have dialed 911 and waited on police to arrive and filed a report. I'm not sure but I am betting the incident was caught on at least two or three area camera's. Maybe the market I was at even had one. I didn't bother to look. I was also not them only customer in this market. It was fairly busy and I am sure someone else may have witnessed what took place and no one else bothered to call 911. That tells me that it was not necessary because it all happened in a matter of 45 seconds to 1 minute and they were walking away. But I do promise I will call next time if this ever happens again because many good points have been made about first caller is from Victim..................... :up:

Thats a bit harsh, we are not talking about some corn fed 3rd grader trying to take your lunch money; This situation could have easily escaladed into a news worthy event.  Mobs of 'kids' have caused many an injury which have been reported across the country.  While I agree that one needs to handle their own problems, there comes a time where CYA and taking care of the next victim come into play.

• Like 2

Thats a bit harsh, we are not talking about some corn fed 3rd grader trying to take your lunch money; This situation could have easily escaladed into a news worthy event. Mobs of 'kids' have caused many an injury which have been reported across the country. While I agree that one needs to handle their own problems, there comes a time where CYA and taking care of the next victim come into play.

This is perfect.

Thats a bit harsh, we are not talking about some corn fed 3rd grader trying to take your lunch money; This situation could have easily escaladed into a news worthy event.  Mobs of 'kids' have caused many an injury which have been reported across the country.  While I agree that one needs to handle their own problems, there comes a time where CYA and taking care of the next victim come into play.

I would not have actually called these kids a Mob. I looked into the faces of each of them and I could tell that some of them may have been 12 and could tell they were not comfortable being involved and were standing back farther than the two up front. Once the guy up front turned around and began to walk away those in the back had already began to turn. I at no time felt it would escalate once they knew I was armed as the eyes on the two up front went to almost golf ball size as I eased the hammer back like WOW was not expecting that!!!! Really folks, it was not anything like a flash mob type thing and in all honesty I don't think they were really looking to cause an issue but bluff a little and in doing so they got a learning experience to put in their memory banks for their futures......................jmho

• Like 1

Would you still feel this way if they walked two blocks down and started harassing an 80yr old grandmother? Or your wife, or friends wife? If at any point you feel threatened enough to possibly pull your gun I think it warrants calling LEO. Bersa has brought up a good lesson for all of us. I don't fault him the least for his decision, but this has brought up a good discussion for possibilities in this situation for all of us.
  • Like 3

I would not have actually called these kids a Mob. I looked into the faces of each of them and I could tell that some of them may have been 12 and could tell they were not comfortable being involved and were standing back farther than the two up front. Once the guy up front turned around and began to walk away those in the back had already began to turn. I at no time felt it would escalate once they knew I was armed as the eyes on the two up front went to almost golf ball size as I eased the hammer back like WOW was not expecting that!!!! Really folks, it was not anything like a flash mob type thing and in all honesty I don't think they were really looking to cause an issue but bluff a little and in doing so they got a learning experience to put in their memory banks for their futures......................jmho

I am glad it worked out as it did, and it may of been just as you surmised.   But those timid hangers on can easily join in if things go bad, group think is what makes some of these situations go wrong.  I hope you are right and this little group thinks twice about getting into a situation like that again, but I know for many it takes a much harsher lesson before they learn.

Believe me with all my heart. If this or anything similar ever happens to me I will call the Police. I have learn my lesson and many folks have made good posts as to why I should have called them......................... :up: :up:

Believe me with all my heart. If this or anything similar ever happens to me I will call the Police. I have learn my lesson and many folks have made good posts as to why I should have called them......................... :up: :up:

Bersa, your all good buddy. It's experiences like this that give us a chance to think about things. More than likely they were just being stupid kids, but in today's society just anybody is not allowed to discipline them.

There is no place immune from this kind of stuff, even small, out of the way towns. It's just a part of life nowadays and the reason we all carry. Of course some areas are more prone to this kind of event.

Yep! You'd be pinching Twinkie loafs if you actually knew how many murderers, gang-bangers, pedophiles, druggies, thieves, rapists and criminals you come in close contact with while standing in check out lines, sitting at stop lights and just walking by. A number of times I've seen grainy store surveillance videos looking for a fugitive or escapee and realized I was there about that time or not long before or after. What you don't know would be surprising.

Yep! You'd be pinching Twinkie loafs if you actually knew how many murderers, gang-bangers, pedophiles, druggies, thieves, rapists and criminals you come in close contact with while standing in check out lines, sitting at stop lights and just walking by. A number of times I've seen grainy store surveillance videos looking for a fugitive or escapee and realized I was there about that time or not long before or after. What you don't know would be surprising.

I had a very interesting interaction on Saturday. I was coming home from work and a beautiful dog was in the middle of the road. I stopped to check for collar and help her. I was literally a mile from home. A car pulled up an stopped behind me and the man yelled "grab her". Turns out he was her owner. He reaked of booze and he offered her to me. Long story short the offer of the dog turned into him telling me to follow him back to his house to "talk about it".

At that moment I went into defense mode and getting back into my truck and getting home to my big mean monkey. I still feel AWFUL for leaving the dog but I knew I was safer getting the hell out of there. I at least wanted back to my truck to get my knife. Our closest neighbor luckily came up behind him which broke the tension enough for me to leave.

I'm looking forward to being able to carry my 29 on me at all times no matter what soon. He may have been totally harmless but I would have felt totally different had I been able to have it with me. I would have also not had to have the look and talk with Monkey about leaving my vehicle. LOL Edited by MrsMonkeyMan2500
  • Like 1

....I at least wanted back to my truck to get my knife....

I'm looking forward to being able to carry my 29 on me at all times no matter what soon. He may have been totally harmless but I would have felt totally different had I been able to have it with me. ..

You can legally have your gun in your car, ya know.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

You can legally have your gun in your car, ya know.

- OS

I do! But I cannot legally have it in my possession on a public road on my person. I didn't bring it with me because of that very reason. Granted where we live it might not matter but I'm a stickler for the rules. Especially if they involve laws and potential jail. I'm not skinny enough for horizontal stripes and orange just doesn't look good on anyone. Plus I am not into getting a new girlfriend. So I carry my knife. Trust me, lesson majorly learned.

No stopping ever again, from now on crazy dog lady opens door for pup and hits the gas. Also, HCP class in a few days. I just saw a dog, as a pup mom of 7, instinct just told me to stop. My husband has already ripped me a new one and given me "the look". I won't do it again. Pinky swear. :-) Edited by MrsMonkeyMan2500

I do! But I cannot legally have it in my possession on a public road on my person. I didn't bring it with me because of that very reason. Granted where we live it might not matter but I'm a stickler for the rules....

I don't understand what you're trying to say. You can have the gun inside your vehicle. You can have it on your person inside the vehicle, whatever.

Of course you can have it thus on "public roads". The only places you can't legally have it inside your vehicle without a permit is parked on school property or a posted lot.

Instead of trying to get back to your truck for your knife, you could at least have had the gun waiting there instead. Of course, you can even use it outside the truck without a permit in legitimate self defense situation, too.

You may also carry any type or size knife on your person.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I don't understand what you're trying to say. You can have the gun inside your vehicle. You can have it on your person inside the vehicle, whatever.

Of course you can have it thus on "public roads". The only places you can't legally have it inside your vehicle without a permit is parked on school property or a posted lot.

Instead of trying to get back to your truck for your knife, you could at least have had the gun waiting there instead. Of course, you can even use it outside the truck without a permit in legitimate self defense situation, too.

You may also carry any type or size knife on your person.

- OS

I now know that. I was not familiar with the law to the point where I felt comfortable doing it. I now have had it clearly explained to me and I have carried it every time I left the house since.
Just curious, BG, how close we're you to these guys? After flashing your pistol, if the group had rushed you, would you have been able to clear your holster before they got to you? A group of us, using an air soft pistol, tried drawing on someone that was standing different distances away as soon as they attempted to rush in and most would be very surprised at the distance needed in order to get your pistol clear of a holster before the aggressor gets to you. It varied heavily depending on the person trying to draw and the one trying to move in but best case scenario, if I remember correctly, was about 15' and was as much as 25' with one "good guy with gun/bad guy with knife" combo.

I doubt that this group of kids was on the way to choir practice at the local church.  As I gotten too old to fight or run, my options would be limited if I faced a group looking for trouble.

• Like 2

Just curious, BG, how close we're you to these guys? After flashing your pistol, if the group had rushed you, would you have been able to clear your holster before they got to you? A group of us, using an air soft pistol, tried drawing on someone that was standing different distances away as soon as they attempted to rush in and most would be very surprised at the distance needed in order to get your pistol clear of a holster before the aggressor gets to you. It varied heavily depending on the person trying to draw and the one trying to move in but best case scenario, if I remember correctly, was about 15' and was as much as 25' with one "good guy with gun/bad guy with knife" combo.

Rule of thumb is 21' or 7 yards which ever is easier to guesstimate.  Fortunately most of the bad guys don't read and train so they may be intimidated enough by the presence of a gun not to try their luck.  But we as gun people should all be aware of this and train in ways to counter a knife while drawing a gun. 

Rule of thumb is 21' or 7 yards which ever is easier to guesstimate. Fortunately most of the bad guys don't read and train so they may be intimidated enough by the presence of a gun not to try their luck. But we as gun people should all be aware of this and train in ways to counter a knife while drawing a gun.

When we were testing the scenario I was able to move in and and prevent the "gun" from being drawn or at least gain control of the wrist before they were able to get the sights on me from a surprising (to me) distance. But one thing that kinda mucked up this test was the fact that I knew exactly what the guy with the "gun" was going to attempt and I was only concerned with that one aspect so I would have to assume that an actual bad guy would have a heck of a lot more going through his or her mind than I did. All that factored in, it was still an enlightening practice scenario and something that everyone that carries should try at least once.

The front 2 which seemed to be the older ones where about 15+ feet from me. The others were about 20+ feet. Once I had my hand on my gun with hammer back I could have shot both of them in about 2-3 seconds if they would have moved in my direction and I felt in danger. I and a buddy of mine have practiced such types of scenario's about 100 + times and I have pretty well tweaked it. The first thing I had going for me is my adrenalin and BP was not on the rise and my thought cycle was at 100%. That is one thing that I can thank my Uncle Sam for was that training in self control which I was able to keep all these years. I don't panic and my thought cycle is always working in a calm but alert manner. I'm just very glad it turned out as it did. I would have hated to cause Cookeville so much trouble when Al Sharpton and the hate gang showed up showed up.