Under-handed technique, got input?

Is this technique unsafe?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Is this technique unsafe?

• Yes, the RSO is correct...this guy's gonna lose a finger.
    • No, the RSO is just being a safety-nazi.
    • Don't care either way, it's a stupid technique.

I read this article about the technique of racking/ejecting a round with an under-handed grip on the front slide serrations. I've seen it done a lot, so I question how much exposure to guns in general and shooting matches specifically this author has, but it garnered a lot of strong opinions in the comments. Here's the link to the article and the video:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/06/11/under-barrel-slide-racking/

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKnRixAyiEM[/media]

Curious what you guys think.

Edited by BigK
  • Administrator

Holy FLINCH on empty!  That said, I could really care less how a person manipulates the slide on their semi-auto handgun so long as it is safe and effective, but by far the easiest for most people is the over-handed saddle grip behind the ejection port.

Gross motor skills work best....especially under stress...be that match stress or life and death stress.  I'd rather be gripping the slide with more than just an index finger and thumb. Like TGO David said, I fall in the "come over the top behind the ejection port and with an over hand grip tug the slide to the rear" camp. But honestly...how that guy manipulates his slide has no effect on me. If he likes it that way then rock on. 

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke

It seems safe to me.  I replayed it in slowmo & his hands were not in front of the barrel.  They very well could be for someone who got in a hurry or was careless, but that is like any improperly used technique.   Seems like you would need extremely strong hands to do this on most guns, or a custom gun with something to grasp there, to really make it worthwhile.  Note that he has to twist the gun way off target to the side to do this maneuver.

I understand its a demo but its also of zero value since ... your gun would stay open??!!   His gun did not open after last shot, and he had to do a full rack because of it.   He needs to get that repaired. 

It "might" be useful for a scoped gun, but there again, since it would stay open, probably not.  And you probably won't be using scoped pistols in any sort of competition or defense etc that involves reloading the gun (?).  

Edited by Jonnin
I bet he can't do that with a real gun, especially a gun with a much shorter slide like most carry guns. Probably not enough area to rack a gun like a Shield or other compact gun.

The gun he is using is super easy to rack because it is longer and is a "match" pistol which typically requires a lot less force to rack.
  • Like 1

I bet he can't do that with a real gun, especially a gun with a much shorter slide like most carry guns. Probably not enough area to rack a gun like a Shield or other compact gun.

The gun he is using is super easy to rack because it is longer and is a "match" pistol which typically requires a lot less force to rack.

Yeah, I just gave the underhand racking a try with my Walther P99 and it wasn't happening.  Very little change that guy could do it with any random gun.  It must be specific to the style of the one he was using.

Too old to try and relearn a new method, specially since I have no need of it. As for the guys reasoning,  I don't cover the ejection port anyway even when I need to unload a squib.  I just eject it onto a surface such as a table or a clear spot on the ground.

Seems to me that it'd require a very light recoil spring to allow you to rack the slide like he does. Somebody tell me why they use such light springs. Seems you'd be increasing recoil to me, since the spring isn't as strong.

I'll give him credit, though, that underhand technique guarantees his fingers won't be in front of the muzzle when he racks the slide. I've seen a BUNCH of people do it overhand and their pinky is in front of the muzzle when they get a grip. Regardless, anyone who knows me knows I'm not a fan of front slide serrations anyway (also don't like tac rails on 1911s either, but I don't want to get that argument started again).

Seems to me that it'd require a very light recoil spring to allow you to rack the slide like he does. Somebody tell me why they use such light springs. Seems you'd be increasing recoil to me, since the spring isn't as strong.

I'll give him credit, though, that underhand technique guarantees his fingers won't be in front of the muzzle when he racks the slide. I've seen a BUNCH of people do it overhand and their pinky is in front of the muzzle when they get a grip. Regardless, anyone who knows me knows I'm not a fan of front slide serrations anyway (also don't like tac rails on 1911s either, but I don't want to get that argument started again).

you drop the recoil spring and use handloads that are lighter for a low recoil gun.    this can be more accurate and or easier to control -- I have a 1911 set up this way, and the recoil is super tame in that heavy frame with about 85% or so loads.   You wouldn't use a weak spring and full power loads without a reason; one reason to do that is a weak shooter that limp wrists can do it to offset their physical limitations (here, limp wristing due to lack of strength rather than technique)

you drop the recoil spring and use handloads that are lighter for a low recoil gun.    this can be more accurate and or easier to control -- I have a 1911 set up this way, and the recoil is super tame in that heavy frame with about 85% or so loads.   You wouldn't use a weak spring and full power loads without a reason; one reason to do that is a weak shooter that limp wrists can do it to offset their physical limitations (here, limp wristing due to lack of strength rather than technique)

I completely get using light reloads in conjunction with a light recoil spring for a specialty pistol that will never shoot factory ammo. I've done that too.

What I was referring to, but didn't make myself very clear about, are carry guns with springs that light. I'd hope for their sake that they are packing full power hollow points in a carry gun. Seems like that combo would just beat you to death and make quick follow-up shots near impossible, especially if you lack the strength to overcome the limp wristing.

Edited by BigK

I completely get using light reloads in conjunction with a light recoil spring for a specialty pistol that will never shoot factory ammo. I've done that too.

What I was referring to, but didn't make myself very clear about, are carry guns with springs that light. I'd hope for their sake that they are packing full power hollow points in a carry gun. Seems like that combo would just beat you to death and make quick follow-up shots near impossible, especially if you lack the strength to overcome the limp wristing.

I agree, you wouldn't do it on a carry pistol unless you had very serious medical issues.   I mean you can turn a 9mm midsize into (effectively) a light recoil 380 with this method, and if that is all you can handle...   but it would be a very uncommon thing to do.  I could see myself doing it when I get to be 80 or so.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm having a hard time making it out, but did he keep his finger on the trigger through all that too?

It doesn't appear so. If you watch his reload when he cants the gun to the right, you can see through the trigger guard and I don't see any finger there.