eating rabbits

none

Once upon a time a guy wanted to get into the fast food business, but he wanted to do something different. So, after a lot of study, he decided to open a Rabbitburger fast food restaurant. It was a real success. His rabbitburgers were so good folks flocked from far and near to eat them, and he made a fortune.

One day an old friend stopped by and was very impressed with how well the business was doing. "Tell me," he said to the owner, "do you have any trouble obtaining rabbit meat in such large quantities?"

The owner looked around suspiciously and said in a very low tone of voice "Well, yes, to be perfectly honest about it. Sometimes we have to augment the rabbit meat with other meat."

"What other meat?" the friend asked.

Putting his hand over his mouth and speaking very softly the owner said: "horse meat."

"Horse meat!" exclaimed the friend, "in what ratio?!"

Now almost whispering, the owner answered "one to one."

"Y'mean one pound of horse meat to one pound of rabbit meat?"

"No, one horse to one rabbit!"

Now, as Paul Harvey said, you have the WHOLE story. :pleased:

• Like 3
Skin it, quarter it, soak it overnight in buttermilk then fry it like chicken.
Or
Debone it & make a stew.
Or
Toss the bone in quarters along with 2 sticks if diced celery, 1 small chopped onion & a tater chopped into inch cubes in a crockpot with a can each of cream of celery, onion & a can of water (or white wine) salt & pepper to taste. 6 hours on high.
  • Like 3

Skin it, quarter it, soak it overnight in buttermilk then fry it like chicken.
Or
Debone it & make a stew.
Or
Toss the bone in quarters along with 2 sticks if diced celery, 1 small chopped onion & a tater chopped into inch cubes in a crockpot with a can each of cream of celery, onion & a can of water (or white wine) salt & pepper to taste. 6 hours on high.

Thanks we have buttermilk on hand. We usually soak chicken breast in it overnight. It really seemed to skin really easy.

What's odd is I had a lung shot but the 22 exited on the oppisite side near the rear leg.

Good eatin', them there bunny rabbits. Don't think I would want to mess with them in this heat.  Probably full of warbles.. wolves, what ever you want to call them. 

They don't hurt anything. They're encapsulated just under the epidermis or whatever, doesn't affect the meat.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Kill de wabbit, kill de wabbit .,..

I think they're okay. Like squirrels, I'd claim them to be a lot better if they were as big as chickens.

- OS

The jackrabbits out here can get up to 20-30 lbs. I've popped a couple when I caught them digging holes in my pastures. A hole can mean the end of a horse, so those critters have to go. I've been advised by several locals that they're known to be cancerous though, so I haven't bothered cleaning any of them. Plenty big enough if a person was willing, though...

The jackrabbits out here can get up to 20-30 lbs.

Aw, c'mon Blake.

I've been advised by several locals that they're known to be cancerous though, so I haven't bothered cleaning any of them...

Aw, c'mon Blake.

Methinks they're regaling you TN hicks with carcinogenic Jackalope tales, since they don't do snipe hunts. :)

- OS

• Like 1

I've done my share of rabbit hunting and would many times rather hunt and eat rabbit then squirrel. Now domestically raised rabbit is a really good source of protean. They're also a lot less expensive to raise for your own table then beef or pork.  

• Like 1

Eh, the last one I shot was every bit as large as my smaller dog that's 19 lbs. I didn't weight the rabbit, but the estimated weight seems right. 

As for regaling me with tales, I'm sure there are far more entertaining possibilities than cancerous rabbits. We actually have real bears and mountain lions out here, no doubt there's plenty of opportunity to mess with the new guy there. :lol: 

• Like 1

Eh, the last one I shot was every bit as large as my smaller dog that's 19 lbs. I didn't weight the rabbit, but the estimated weight seems right. 

You guys are probably throwing away a fortune one way or another then.  I can't find any documentation of any breed of wild rabbit/hare in the US over 15 lbs and that seems to be stretching it.

And certainly nothing about any type rabbit being cancer causing in humans.  Now, a rabbit, like most any other mammal can get cancer of course.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

You guys are probably throwing away a fortune one way or another then.  I can't find any documentation of any breed of wild rabbit/hare in the US over 15 lbs and that seems to be stretching it.

And certainly nothing about any type rabbit being cancer causing in humans.  Now, a rabbit, like most any other mammal can get cancer of course.

- OS

Next one I take, I'll try and weigh it for you. These suckers seem pretty stupid; last two I got were bouncing around with a third one. I shot the first one, and the other two just sat there. Shot the second one, and only then did the last one start to hop away. I let him go- I don't want to shoot them all, I just want them to migrate off my land. 

I don't know if they can cause cancer in humans or not, but having been warned that they're known to carry it I don't have any reason to take the chance. If you'd like, perhaps I can pack one in dry ice and send it to you? :) Might make for an interesting disection, anyway. 

Edited by 56FordGuy

I don't know if they can cause cancer in humans or not, but having been warned that they're known to carry it I don't have any reason to take the chance. If you'd like, perhaps I can pack one in dry ice and send it to you? :) Might make for an interesting disection, anyway. 

Unless you are shooting them from where they are eating from a toxic waste site or something, I assure you that if a 20 lb or larger Lepus shows up here in unspoiled condition, I will surely cook it, try it, and report!  (you do need to at least gut the thing first though I'd think).

I've heard they're pretty tough also, so I'm thinking long time braising or just do like slow pot roast. :)

I've experimented off and on over the last year with simple pigeon recipes already, btw, just so I'm ready to harvest them after The Crash. ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

Talking about rabbits like this, you guys sure stir up some good memories. Some of my best weekends of my life were spent rabbit hunting on Saturdays and cooking/eating the ones we didn't freeze the day before after dressing them. Good times!

• Like 2

Slow braised is the ONLY way to go with any jackrabbit.
I've had my share of Texas Jacks & they seem to be built out of fencing wire & rawhide strips.

I always heard Jackrabbits weren't fit to eat.'

A cottontail, on the other hand, it delicious.

I've also been told tame rabbits were really good. Our local Save A Lot store once sold them. I haven't seen any there in a while.

I just bread and fry'em. The tame rabbits are better than wild ones.

I'm on the opposite side of the fence on this. I grew up eating wild rabbits and decided to raise some tame ones for the table but they just didn't have the taste I was used to. I will have to say, they were not quite as tough as the wild ones though.

I also found that rabbit cooks a lot faster than chicken and gets really tough if overcooked (at least, if frying).