Windows 10 for me thus far

So, I can download the ISO, use it to load 10, and then use my Windows 8 product key to install it?

P.S. I've been using Windows 10 Technical Preview since December. I like it a lot better than Windows 8. I added the Classic Shell, which looks a lot like Windows 7.  Cortana might be great if you can't type, but it's slower than just typing in a search.  Edge is, well, just another browser. I'll stick with Chrome because it has add-ons I use every day. Windows 10 boots a lot faster and didn't crash much until the last month or so before the launch. 

Yes that is my understanding. Both of mine have been in-place upgrades so cannot verify.

It is a tool to create an ISO image, but allows you to perform an upgrade on the device you download it to.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Nope. I did a clean install months ago to install Windows 10 Technical Preview so there is no previous install information buried inside my OS.

This ISO download has to have the Windows 10 product key or be installed over an activated version of Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10. I tried my Windows 8 product key. It didn't work. 

MS shouldn't make it this hard for their beta testers. I really don't want to reinstall windows 8, install the updates, and then install Windows 10. That'll take a whole day.

I think I read somewhere that the preview versions would automatically upgrade to the full release...let me see if I can find that or at least debunk the thought.

Older article but says yes, preview will get upgrade: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2921034/windows-10-preview-testers-will-get-a-free-upgrade-to-final-rtm-version.html

If I am reading your post right, you did the upgrade but are now back on the build release and not activated? So the upgrade is not letting you continue again? 

Edited by jonathon1289

I read that, too. I think the bottom line is that I did a clean install of the preview so the builds couldn't see a previously activated version of Windows. At this point, it's probably easier to dig out my 8.0 recovery disks and start over from scratch. 

At this point I am running Build 10162, I think, with a note on the desktop telling me to go to settings to activate windows. I do that and it tells me the product key won't work. The Help link says that I'll need to reinstall an eligible version of windows to upgrade. 

<sigh> 

Updated my laptop this morning, was on the tech preview. Windows update did not show the Win10 update, tried to run the media create and update, it just closed out with no message.
So I played around with Windows Update settings went under Advanced and changed the site used for updates. Ran another update check and Windows 10 started downloading.
My laptop is now official. No problems with install or activation, but I did upgrade a legit Win7 to the tech preview so that may have helped my case.

Anyone attempted deploying it on their domain? I've run into all kinds of issues with software compatibility and GPO applying. I can't even get a script to install Office365 to work. Plus we use Trend Micro Officescan... Trend hasn't even gotten their compatibility testing out of QA. LOL

Anyone attempted deploying it on their domain? I've run into all kinds of issues with software compatibility and GPO applying. I can't even get a script to install Office365 to work. Plus we use Trend Micro Officescan... Trend hasn't even gotten their compatibility testing out of QA. LOL

I'll load it up at work when they get RSAT working. We had to fight tooth and nail to upgrade to Windows 7 at the last minute, doubt we'll be rolling out 10 anytime soon.

I'll load it up at work when they get RSAT working. We had to fight tooth and nail to upgrade to Windows 7 at the last minute, doubt we'll be rolling out 10 anytime soon.

My boss is jazzed about it. In fact he had our desktop guys building surfaces today running 10 for distribution. I had to throw the brakes on. 

On day 2.....

I want to make the jump, but I like windows 8.1 and its quirks. Like it more than 7. And I also got used to using normal desktop mode and the app mode for my applications.

So let me get this straight. You have to do an hours long upgrade to get your OS to run like two versions back?

No thanks, I will stick with my three year old Mac.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

For any of you guys that use your computer for gaming, the new DirectX is supposed to be amazing. People are getting up to 85% graphic performance increases just from the Windows 10 upgrade.

The older versions of DirectX did not support multi core CPU's which is insane...they supported multi core GPU's on a video card, but the older versions of DirectX only used 1 core on the CPU. The new one uses all cores that are available.

Edited by tennesseetiger

I bought a new Lenovo laptop about 2 months ago and just got my Windows 10 upgrade notice today after reserving it about 3 weeks ago. Upgraded and so far I've not had any issues. The new Edge browser is plenty fast for me and the more I learn the more I like it.

I waited until Jan 2013 to go from XP to 7, skipping Vista entirely.  I'm comfortable waiting for 10 to work itself out and see what it can and can't do.  Between having a dual boot with Win7 and Linux Zorin, I can afford to wait.  

• Like 2

Have been testing the various releases of it in the technet previews for months.  All in all I like it.  I just downloaded the RTM tech preview this morning and loaded it up on a virtual machine.  Using a single cpu core and 8 gb of ram w/ 60gb of spinning disk(NOT ssd) the mounted ISO took only 8 minutes to install.  Not bad!

For any of you guys that use your computer for gaming, the new DirectX is supposed to be amazing. People are getting up to 85% graphic performance increases just from the Windows 10 upgrade.

The older versions of DirectX did not support multi core CPU's which is insane...they supported multi core GPU's on a video card, but the older versions of DirectX only used 1 core on the CPU. The new one uses all cores that are available.

Can you define graphic performance increases? As in quality or framerate? Is that using integrated graphics or with an expansion card?

"All of our tests were performed at 1280x720 resolution at Microsoft's recommendation."

UNCIVILIZED HEATHENS!

That's a pretty detailed read and it's something to look forward too. The last few paragraphs sum it up in a different tone however. "The reality is this test is a theoretical test, although one made with advice from Microsoft and the GPU vendors. This test reveals the potential, but translating that potential into an actual game isn't quite as easy. " But, at least this means the doors could be opened up for future development.

"All of our tests were performed at 1280x720 resolution at Microsoft's recommendation."

UNCIVILIZED HEATHENS!

That's a pretty detailed read and it's something to look forward too. The last few paragraphs sum it up in a different tone however. "The reality is this test is a theoretical test, although one made with advice from Microsoft and the GPU vendors. This test reveals the potential, but translating that potential into an actual game isn't quite as easy. " But, at least this means the doors could be opened up for future development.

Multiple gaming forums are talking about legit performance increases as well. Not just benchmarks like that article. I think Microsoft finally got something right lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Just for kicks, I'm going to document my Windows 10 update here. As I previously posted, I did a complete reformat and install of Windows 10 preview, so the update wouldn't work. I'm now in the process of reinstalling Windows 8, updating 8, and then I'll do the download of Windows 10. My best guess is that this will take... well, a long time. 

At 3:45pm Friday, I dug out my Windows 8 recovery disks and got the install started. Currently at 31% on disk 1...

The bright side of all this is that I already know Windows 10 will work. I've been using it since December in the preview.

Edited by jgradyc

I commenced the upgrade this morning on a Toshiba Satellite C55 using the iso downloaded and burned to disk.  Took just under 2 hours.  Uninstalled Symantec Endpoint Protection as the process recommended.  Did not need any 3rd party drivers.

So now my much hated laptop with Windows 8.1 is running Windows 10.  I already like it better but there were several things I immediately turned off...too much location information, share your info with Microsoft, etc. stuff that is completely unnecessary.  Only spent a few minutes on it since but Windows Update sucks with no obvious setting for it to not automatically runs whenever it wants.  Have not decided what I think about Edge, Internet Explorer's replacement.....Firefox still works just fine.

Things are easier to get to but this version of Windows, just like 8/8.1, assumes you want to be online all the time and is tailored for the lowest common denominator when it comes to users.

I cannot tolerate background processes or random applications running and constantly beaming information over the internet.  As I continue to find apps and setting in 10 that do so I'll post here.  Please share any setting you uncover that relate to constant connections and information "sharing".

• Like 1

Just for kicks, I'm going to document my Windows 10 update here. As I previously posted, I did a complete reformat and install of Windows 10 preview, so the update wouldn't work. I'm now in the process of reinstalling Windows 8, updating 8, and then I'll do the download of Windows 10. My best guess is that this will take... well, a long time. 

At 3:45pm Friday, I dug out my Windows 8 recovery disks and got the install started. Currently at 31% on disk 1...

The bright side of all this is that I already know Windows 10 will work. I've been using it since December in the preview.

5:22pm All disks loaded. Software is being installed. Please do not turn off your computer

6:47pm Software is being installed. Please do not turn off your computer.

8:00pm Logged in. Installing apps.... Please don't turn off your PC.

8:13pm Success! Windows 8 installed.

8:14pm Checked for updates, but system failed.   Forget the update

8:29pm went to link in this thread to download Windows 10. Started download.

9:00pm Downloaded. Installing Windows 10... 45% complete.

9:49pm Install done. Getting updates. This won't take long.

9:58pm Install complete. I still have to reinstall all my software. That will take another half day, but at least I have Windows 10 up and running.

Edited by jgradyc

I downloaded and installed mine on the 29th on my Win 8.1 system I got a couple months ago.  So far I like it better than 8.1 but its taking some getting used to as I tweak my settings.  Oddly enough, for computers Ive always been a PC guy despite loving my iPads and iPhones.  Got a Macbook Pro in a gun trade a couple years ago, but my teen daughter uses it way more than I do. Im usually on my ipad.

Edited by barewoolf

I started the upgrade before lunch yesterday and it took most of the day.  The only remaining item is connecting my Kenwood TS590.  As I become familiar with it I like it better than Win8.1.  Still undecided if I like Microsoft Edge.