Windows 10 for me thus far

Here I am still using Linux, still not having any problems since install over a year ago even after updates. Still not worrying about future problems because it just works. But then again, I don't use my laptop for gaming.

• Like 2

Here I am still using Linux, still not having any problems since install over a year ago even after updates. Still not worrying about future problems because it just works. But then again, I don't use my laptop for gaming.

got opensuse on my computer at work with a windows 7 vm for my windows needs and couldn't be happier

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I downloaded and installed mine on the 29th on my Win 8.1 system I got a couple months ago.  So far I like it better than 8.1 but its taking some getting used to as I tweak my settings.  Oddly enough, for computers Ive always been a PC guy despite loving my iPads and iPhones.  Got a Macbook Pro in a gun trade a couple years ago, but my teen daughter uses it way more than I do. Im usually on my ipad.

I have a macbook pro but I don't really use it. Not that it's bad or does anything wrong but honestly I don't get overly excited about any OS.. they all do some things really well and they all suck equally in something else.

I've used PC longer.. so it's just a familiar experience.

• Like 1

I installed it the other day and used it for a while and just now set it up to go back to 7, I hated 10 I am going to stick with 7 for a very long time like I did with xp

Similar here, I guess.

Have Lenovo laptop with Win 7 Pro 32 bit and Lenovo desktop with Win 7 Pro 64 bit. The laptop came with 8.1 upgrade media, which I never used.

Got the invites for 10 on both boxes, didn't confirm, but downloaded the ISOs for 10 Pro 32 and 64. Which I'm probably just gonna sit on at least until there are no more 7 updates being fed, as everything runs just peachy. It's been 10 years since I tried to stay up to date on the latest geekage. ;)

- OS

Well I'm having problems loading Windows 10. I get to about 75% complete, restarts and then an error "attempted execute no execute memory", recovers and continues installing, a few minutes later another reboot, error "migrate data" reverts back to windows 8.1. Any suggestions?

By the way, loaded on my laptop running 7 with no issues!

TIA

Similar here, I guess.

Have Lenovo laptop with Win 7 Pro 32 bit and Lenovo desktop with Win 7 Pro 64 bit. The laptop came with 8.1 upgrade media, which I never used.

Got the invites for 10 on both boxes, didn't confirm, but downloaded the ISOs for 10 Pro 32 and 64. Which I'm probably just gonna sit on at least until there are no more 7 updates being fed, as everything runs just peachy. It's been 10 years since I tried to stay up to date on the latest geekage. ;)

- OS

Just be aware the free upgrade expires July 2016. After that, you'll have to pay for it. From what I understand, if you do the update now, the install will phone back to the Microsoft mothership and update a database with info about your PC. After that the upgrade is locked in and you will be able to format and reinstall after July 2016 if you want. You just have to take that first step of upgrading.

• Like 1

Just be aware the free upgrade expires July 2016. After that, you'll have to pay for it. From what I understand, if you do the update now, the install will phone back to the Microsoft mothership and update a database with info about your PC. After that the upgrade is locked in and you will be able to format and reinstall after July 2016 if you want. You just have to take that first step of upgrading.

Appreciate that info.

There's a chance that I might just keep 7 on both boxes for the rest of their lives, as I did with XP. Looks like they'll still be pushing security fixes through 1/2020.

- OS

Appreciate that info.

There's a chance that I might just keep 7 on both boxes for the rest of their lives, as I did with XP. Looks like they'll still be pushing security fixes through 1/2020.

- OS

They'll have to. Unless 10 Pro is somehow vastly different than the home edition no large IT shop is going to fool with it. I imagine Microsoft has gotten an ear-full from corporate customers the past few years. I'm not so sure 10 is going to do anything to change that.

Sent using wizardry.
  • Like 1

They'll have to. Unless 10 Pro is somehow vastly different than the home edition no large IT shop is going to fool with it. I imagine Microsoft has gotten an ear-full from corporate customers the past few years. I'm not so sure 10 is going to do anything to change that.

Sent using wizardry.

i can say for sure that Vanderbilt is keeping windows 7 for a very long time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • 3 weeks later...

Loaded my 10 on desktop PC the end of July. The only program that didn't transition was MS FSX, It is out of production anyway so I just purchased X-Plane 10 and it is working fine with Windows 10.

Edited by wjh2657

I now have windows 10. It took about 30 hours to download for some reason. Just when it installed, my wifi card went out. I am NOT a computer guy, so I thought there was a problem with windows 10 causing me to be unable to access the internet. That sort of thing is very irritating to me. :panic: :wall:

I had my teenage son come and diagnose the problem. :shake:

Edited by gregintenn

i can say for sure that Vanderbilt is keeping windows 7 for a very long time

I think most manufacturing will stay with 7 also. It will be a while before the engineering software companies decide if they are okay with 10 or not.

I’m using 10 on a machine at home and like it better than 8.

Mostly it appears to be a fluff and buff, but I’m glad to see they are addressing IE with Edge. I’m not interested in a third party web browser.

So far I haven’t had any lock-ups or any of the problems I seen complainants about.

The price is right; so we will see how it shakes out.

I've loaded Windows 10 on three laptops so far. Two are up and running with no glitches. The Lenovo E430 running Win 7 Home Premium seems slower than the others and I keep getting a Dolby Audio Driver not installed message. Audio seems to work fine. The Lenovo also seems to have a lot more bloatware loaded on it. It took maybe 2 1/2 hours to get Windows 10 installed. I also keep getting Norton notices to update my Norton software. I've tried to uninstall Norton completely, but there is no program listed to uninstall. 

I immediately turned off Cortana and switched the default browser from Edge to Chrome so I can't comment on either of those apps. 

I've tried to uninstall Norton completely, but there is no program listed to uninstall.

Run the Norton Removal tool and then do a clean install.
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us
But you may already have issues if it's not listed in "Uninstall/Change Programs".

The Lenovo also seems to have a lot more bloatware loaded on it.

Get rid of it.

I immediately turned off Cortana and switched the default browser from Edge to Chrome so I can't comment on either of those apps.

Why would you do that? A new browser is the main reason for 10. You might want to give it a chance before corrupting your OS install with a third party browser.

Not sure if its related or not, as it could be some kind of malware related thing, but I keep getting Out of Memory messages from Windows, and I know Im NOT out of memory since I have 16GB installed and Task manager shows only 2.5 used.  Also am experiencing some problems awakening from sleep wherein it seems to hang up, and only way to fix is to unplug...Guess its a job for Geek Squad, lol.

Edited by barewoolf