Time for a game of Good idea/Bad idea.

Okay, so I am loving my new rifle, an FN FNAR Competition.  Looks like:

IMG_0485_zpsjwrp1dwl.jpg

Well, in FN's infinite wisdom, they neglected to put ANY function for a sling on it.  What the heck kinda "COMPETITION" rifle runs without a sling.  Madness!!!

Anyway, the rear is simple enough, just drill into the wood and screw one in.  

The front?  Not so much.  The front wood is very thin.  Far to fragile even if you were to put a metal support in there.  MAYBE if I could run a plate on the inside to thread into but there is NO room because of the operating rod assembly and gas block.  Just can't be done with any rigidity and I don't want to monkey around too much and void a warranty.

SO, here's my idea.  

The forearm is held in place with a cylindrical nut about 1/2" in diameter and about an 1 1/2" long.  It goes in from the FRONT of the forearm and threads onto a stud that is threaded into the gas block itself.  The gas block is a rather beefy affair that is dovetailed into the barrel.  

What I could do is make a new nut by turning a piece of 4140 and make it about a 1/2" longer so it sticks out the front of the forearm.  Then attach my sling there with some type of rotating swivel.  Maybe even a banjo style fitting like you use on the magazine cap of a shotgun.

Here's the conundrum; Am I asking for trouble putting pressure on that gas block?  I won't be using it as a shooting type sling, I don't shoot like that and wouldn't consider it with this set up as it puts a tremendous amount of pressure on things.  BUT, it will undoubtedly put a good bit of pressure on it just using it to tote the rifle around.  

My only other option is to run a band on the barrel like a safari style attachment.  DO NOT want to do that because I have talked with FN and they are VERY particular about their barrels.  ANY modification whatsoever voids the lifetime warranty.  I know because I asked.  I wanted to thread this rifle for a suppressor.  They said emphatically NO.  

Edited by Caster

So you don't want a shooting sling, you want a carrying strap, right?

What size is the stud?  How is the gas block attached to the barrel?

Really though... I can't imagine you'd do any harm without doing something you already know you shouldn't do (like use it to tow your bug out trailer). 

My first thought would be to use one of those slings like the Blackhawk! 3 way convertibles that has a loop to put over your hands guard. Problem is they were made for rifles like the M16 that have coverage over the barrel. The problem I see there is possibly melting it if you shot too much.

Maybe you could make a cable loop to go around. Edited by gjohnsoniv

Yep, just a carry strap.  The stud is 8mm maybe?  I'm betting it's metric.  The gas block is dovetailed into the barrel.

Johnson, a wraparound would never work.  Two magazines worth and you will not touch the barrel....well...you won't do it twice.  

• Authorized Vendor

Okay, so I am loving my new rifle, an FN FNAR Competition.  Looks like:

IMG_0485_zpsjwrp1dwl.jpg

Well, in FN's infinite wisdom, they neglected to put ANY function for a sling on it.  What the heck kinda "COMPETITION" rifle runs without a sling.  Madness!!!

Anyway, the rear is simple enough, just drill into the wood and screw one in.  

The front?  Not so much.  The front wood is very thin.  Far to fragile even if you were to put a metal support in there.  MAYBE if I could run a plate on the inside to thread into but there is NO room because of the operating rod assembly and gas block.  Just can't be done with any rigidity and I don't want to monkey around too much and void a warranty.

SO, here's my idea.  

The forearm is held in place with a cylindrical nut about 1/2" in diameter and about an 1 1/2" long.  It goes in from the FRONT of the forearm and threads onto a stud that is threaded into the gas block itself.  The gas block is a rather beefy affair that is dovetailed into the barrel.  

What I could do is make a new nut by turning a piece of 4140 and make it about a 1/2" longer so it sticks out the front of the forearm.  Then attach my sling there with some type of rotating swivel.  Maybe even a banjo style fitting like you use on the magazine cap of a shotgun.

Here's the conundrum; Am I asking for trouble putting pressure on that gas block?  I won't be using it as a shooting type sling, I don't shoot like that and wouldn't consider it with this set up as it puts a tremendous amount of pressure on things.  BUT, it will undoubtedly put a good bit of pressure on it just using it to tote the rifle around.  

My only other option is to run a band on the barrel like a safari style attachment.  DO NOT want to do that because I have talked with FN and they are VERY particular about their barrels.  ANY modification whatsoever voids the lifetime warranty.  I know because I asked.  I wanted to thread this rifle for a suppressor.  They said emphatically NO.  

Did FN care to shed any light on what them deem acceptable without voiding the warranty?

Yeah, Torino, they said I can drill all the holes I want in the stock for a sling.

As I said, my biggest concern ain't the stud holding, it's the gas block itself. Even though it's dovetailed in pretty strong, I wonder about it. The way the guide rod rides in the short piston, I'd hate to pull on it and get it out of alignment.
  • Authorized Vendor

Yeah, Torino, they said I can drill all the holes I want in the stock for a sling.

As I said, my biggest concern ain't the stud holding, it's the gas block itself. Even though it's dovetailed in pretty strong, I wonder about it. The way the guide rod rides in the short piston, I'd hate to pull on it and get it out of alignment.

Well in that case if you have enough wood I'd drill a separate hole and maybe countersink a nut/washer on the inside so it won't pull through and not mess with the gas block mount at all. Without seeing in I'm kinda flying blind but that's the first thing that comes to mind.

I wouldn't be tapping the bolt. I would be tapping the end of the long nut that holds the forearm on. Not sure why they made it so long but I would make another on just a wee bit longer so it would protrude out the end of the stock. Basically the swivel would be in the end of a piece of steel, 1/2 inch in diameter and about 2 inches long. Then, that piece would slide into the forearm and thread onto the stud on the gas block.

I got time, I think I'll just make one and take some pictures of how it'll work, then get y'all's opinion of that.

Afix one of these, or something like it close, to the inside of the hand guard.
http://www.snipview.com/q/Blind_nut

You have the standard model of these right?

Then you know what complex little booger it is inder the hood. There is almost NO room under the forearm and it is quite thin too.

I have pondered this but the wood would have to be slightly counter bored on the inside for the major diameter of the insert to sit down and clear the workings.

Before I make a final call, I will study about that again though. Thanks red.