Warning on Windows 10

jgradyc

I just noticed a problem with Windows 10 that I thought everyone should know about.

If you have multiple computers and don't use the one with Windows 10 for a couple of weeks, it will take FOREVER to boot up. It basically locks up at the login screen. Apparently, it's downloading all the updates MS has sent out since you last booted up, but there's nothing to tell you that. I didn't time it, but I'm guessing it took between an hour to an hour and a half before it finally shut down on its own and rebooted to the login screen. I wouldn't risk a hard shut off and reboot when it does this because it can (and did) crash my hard drive when I did this a few years ago on Windows 7.

I have my Win7 partition set to only notify me about updates. That way I get to manually select and install updates. Saves time, doesn't let the process happen when I don't want it to, and best of all lets me control what goes on my computer.
  • Like 1

I have my Win7 partition set to only notify me about updates. That way I get to manually select and install updates. Saves time, doesn't let the process happen when I don't want it to, and best of all lets me control what goes on my computer.

10 don’t let you do that......yet.

Windows 10? Boy you guys are really obsolete. My Windows program says Windows 95. You're 85 editions behind me. :rofl:

One of my friends works for a company that has a location in Mexico.  The other day he gets a call that a pc is acting up and they can't get critical data off of it.  Turned out it was running Windows NT.  The pc was that old too.

10 killed a friends laptop yesterday. No screen, no bios, nothing but a beep. Looks like the installation process cooked the motherboard.

Probably a coincidence. I've had motherboards fail when nothing was going on.

One of my friends works for a company that has a location in Mexico.  The other day he gets a call that a pc is acting up and they can't get critical data off of it.  Turned out it was running Windows NT.  The pc was that old too.

Well I was only partly kidding about having a Windows 95 program. We have two modern computers with Windows 7 on them, but we also have our first computer, a Quantex from 1995, and it reposes in the kitchen where it faithfully regurgitates recipes on demand. My wife used it for 9 years to do medical transcription. It had 4 megs of RAM which we upped to its max of 16, and we had to replace the hard drive and monitor in the 9 years it made us a good living. My wife has used every computer known to man and still, believe it or not, prefers the ol' tried and true Windows 95. Go figger. :up:

Another problem just started on Windows 10. Cortana keeps popping up every couple of minutes even though it is turned off. I found a fix online at tenforums.com.  Here it is

I may have found a solution. Click the start button and select settings. Then select Devices. Click on Mouse and Touch Pad and scroll to the bottom and select "Additional Mouse Options." This brings up a box that should have the information and name of the type of touch pad your computer has. Mine says "Synaptics Touch Pad....". Click on settings and then in the new box that pops up you should see a tab that says "Tapping". Open that tab and you should then see "Three Finger Tap" and "Four Finger Tap". Uncheck those boxes and then click "Apply". That should take care of it. I'm no computer expert so I hope that's easy to follow. So far I've not had the box pop up anymore. 

Apparently you can open the Search/Cortana box with a 3 finger click and my touch pad must have been getting confused.

10 killed a friends laptop yesterday. No screen, no bios, nothing but a beep. Looks like the installation process cooked the motherboard.

I mean.. Windows does regulate power, but in all honesty, if by some freak chance it DID blow it up... it was probably just a matter of time anyway.

I mean.. Windows does regulate power, but in all honesty, if by some freak chance it DID blow it up... it was probably just a matter of time anyway.

Motherboard not fried thankfully.  After disconnecting nearly everything, leaving it for a week, and putting it back together, he was able to get it to boot off a disk and get Win7 loaded. 

My guess is that windows 10 crashed during the install. It would probably load okay now. It does need to reboot several times and I think it needs to be connected to the internet. I did crash a hard drive doing a Windows 8 update three years ago. I switched to Linux until Windows10 Technical Preview became available last year.

my new computer is running 8.1, I keep getting pop ups saying I should load 10 but 8.1 is working fine for what I do. Any real reason I should upload 10?

It’s the next step and it’s free right now?

If you are going to use a third party browser I wouldn’t load it. If you are going to use the new Edge browser you might want to give it a try.

I did an image of my drive with 8.1 thinking if I didn’t like 10 I could simply go back. Seems a little faster and more responsive and the start menu is back. No problems here so far.

But if your set-up is something you are happy with I wouldn’t upgrade to anything without a way to revert back if you have problems.

my new computer is running 8.1, I keep getting pop ups saying I should load 10 but 8.1 is working fine for what I do. Any real reason I should upload 10?

The free upgrade offer is only valid until July 29th 2016 and Windows 8/8.1 just sucks.  There's really no reason not to.

All the major browsers work on 10.  Internet Explorer is still there, you just have to go find it.

Edited by Garufa

Seems pretty fast to me considering I was using a ten year old computer with Vista before this. All I do is get online, search a few things and read and post on TGO. I never make any money transactions or put any card number whatsoever, I have a few word files and pictures I view and play with the Paint program. No SS number or account info whatsoever is stored on this computer. My computer life is pretty simple so I don't need too much. 

If you're happy with Windows 8.1, you might as well wait another 3 months or so for MS to get the bugs out of 10 and/or for early adopters (like me) to post work-arounds for common problems or nuisance aspects of Windows 10. 

My favorite work-around so far is to reprogram the power button via power options to shut down the computer by simply tapping the power button. Under Windows 10 (and 8.1 as I recall), it takes a half dozen mouse moves and clicks to get to shut down.