Fighting the wind

What type of outer wear do you guys use to fight the wind?  Have been in some wind, and it will suck the heat right out of you.  Typically wear insulated underwear, jeans, long sleeve shirts and wool bibs and coat.  Indiana wind is fierce.

• Admin Team

Once upon a time I put on my 3mm neoprene wetsuit under my camo.  It was the warmest I've ever been in the woods.  

These days there are some great technical fabrics that will keep the wind at bay, but layers and loft are going to be your biggest friends.

• Like 1

Winds can be tough for on the lake. Depending on how cold it is layers are good around 50 degrees with a Gortex rain suit. When I use to fish Dale Hollow Lake on FNF in the dead of Winter I wore a heated Snowmobile suit that hooked into a 12 volt system on the boat and stayed toasty warm all day, even when running 40 MPH across the lake in 20 degree temps. There are other options also that work quite well. Put a tee shirt on the table at home and tape 2 of the large foot warmer heat packs to the back of the shirt on the outside in the kidney area and take it with you to the lake. Once there activate the heat packs and put the tee shirt on and then add outerwear. If you can keep your kidneys warm they will help keep your body warm. Works good in hunting conditions also............just my :2cents:

Keep the core warm and the rest will be okay. Coming from Michigan back to TN, I can tell you that layers work well. Used to stand outside with longjohns,pants t shirt sweatshirt and sweatjacket on with a vest over it all and would stay outside in 20 degrees all day. And I mean stand, watching line crews put lines back up so everyone could have power.

Also the disposable heat packs in an inside pocket help keep body core warm.

When I ride in the winter the windchill is brutal. I use artic Carhartt overalls, layered over long johns, jeans, t shirt, flannel shirt, and a leather jacket and vest over it all. I also use a fleece face mask over my face. I stay warm at speeds up to 85 in Temps down in the teens.

Sent from behind the anvil

You need a couple layers under a barrier that the wind won't penetrate.  I'd try pvc rain gear, not the fancy gortex stuff.  "Breathable" can also be interpreted as "wind blows right through it".

This,(I'd try pvc rain gear) unless you layer up big time.

I work out side, not hard but sometime on a roof, wind dont give up.

You can put on 2 or 3 layers and a fair rain coat and pants, as long as you watch your temperature you will stay warm.

If you have to walk a piece just take the rain gear off.

Edited by RED333

I still have my military cold weather gear.  It's a layered system so the colder it is, the more layers I put on.  I use a baklava to keep my head and face warm and to keep from fogging up the plexiglass in my hunting stand as well as the glass on my scope.  

My feet on the other hand, that's another story.  I broke my tib/fib and blew out my ankle on a jump into a swamp.  After I healed I just can't find a comfortable pair of boots.  And they are so expensive I just can't afford to buy pair after pair.  They start off comfortable enough, but after an hour or two they start to hurt.  

Gore-tex with a fleece layer under it. Under-Armor makes a killer (read expensive) fleece base layer. I typically use the bottoms only and a jacket top so I can adjust easily to meet changing conditions. And for really cold weather like I got up in Illinois 2 years ago (9 degrees with 20mph wind) I have a BassPro brand setup (Bone Dry) bibs and jacket and then I wear everything I can! Edited by SupaRice
Earlier this year I purchased bass pro shops 100mph gear. The jacket and bibs. I will say that I mostly use it for fishing cold weather. That being said, I have stayed dry and warm. Running the boat in cold weather had no effect on me either. I was able to fish comfortably all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk